Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade in HDTV

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade in HDTV

I don't know if Thanksgiving Day Parades make very exciting tv. However, Channel 4, Detroit NBC affiliate, had a segment on tv news this PM that they will broadcast the Parade (9AM, Thursday) in HDTV. It is supposed to be biggest live, remote HDTV production ever. I couldn't tell if they are providing HDTV network feed for broadcast elsewhere. If interested check it out tomorrow. Brief article from their website: (I get to watch in 4:3 NTSC, 'cause that's all I got)
link
Local 4 Brings Home America's Thanksgiving Parade In High-Definition!
Watch Thanksgiving Morning On Local 4 And HD-TV 4.1
WDIV Local 4 will become the first television station in Michigan to broadcast a local program in high definition (HDTV), and one of the first few stations in the country to produce and air a live HDTV event. Local 4's coverage of The Parade Co.'s America’s Thanksgiving Parade will air live from downtown Detroit on WDIV channel 4, and on HDTV channel 4.1 Thanksgiving morning, November 28, 2002.
"America's Thanksgiving Parade is the perfect venue for HDTV," said WDIV General Manager and Vice President Joe Berwanger. "Our viewers with high-definition television sets will see all of the grandeur of the floats, clowns, bands, and entertainment in wide-screen format with vibrant colors and unbelievably clear pictures."

WDIV chief engineer Marcus Williams said "The technology used in producing the 1080i high-definition coverage will enhance the picture quality for our viewers watching on normal analog televisions as well. Local 4 has a strong reputation as being a leader in new broadcast technology, and with this telecast WDIV will join the leaders in HDTV production nationwide."

"The Parade Company is proud to be involved in this ground-breaking advancement in local television coverage," said Susie Gross, president of The Parade Co. "The HDTV audience will experience America's Thanksgiving Parade in an astonishing new way that will feel almost as if they are standing along the parade route. It's the next best thing to being there."

Local 4's coverage will be produced using the most state-of-the-art high-definition television production truck available. The same truck was recently used nationally for televising the U.S. Open Tennis Tournament, college football games and more.
Old 11-27-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
They're doing this so the cops can easily id people with warrants in the crowd