Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Firefly News

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firefly News

Well, I suppose in the grand scheme of things everybody got their something...

It seems there's a group dedicated to keeping Firefly on the air -- http://www.fireflysupport.com/
Joss Whedon, creator of Fox's new SF series Firefly, told SCI FI Wire that the network is giving the show another chance to attract viewers with its recent order of two more episodes. Early in the show's first year, "we just couldn't have been more boned by baseball and clearly in the death [time] slot and not promoted very heavily and, you know, the show taking time to find itself, as shows do," Whedon said in an interview during a break in the filming of "Objects in Space," the show's 11th episode, which Whedon wrote and is directing this week.

Whedon added, "The only question is whether they're given that time. And now Fox is getting a good response to the episodes we're putting out, and so they're looking to see, well, if they do give us a bit of a push, can we build some and get a base that's big enough for them to justify keeping us around. So ... we all feel like we're on Serenity. We're looking ahead to that next job. We're still flying. The future's uncertain, but we're still flying."

The show has taken a while to find an audience, in part due to preemptions for the World Series. Fox won't air episodes this week or next, but will return with original episodes starting Dec. 6, with "War Stories." The series' two-hour pilot, "Serenity," which hasn't aired yet, will finally get special treatment in a full broadcast on Dec. 20.

"The ratings in December will matter" for Firefly's future, Whedon said. "A lot of that is on their shoulders. They have to bring the people in. Whether or not they stay is our job. ... That's our hope, that we're building. But we have started out kind of handicapped in not showing the pilot [yet]. That was a creative decision that threw a lot of people off and kind of put it out in the ozone that there was something wrong with the show, and that's never a good way to start. So we have a lot to overcome. But we're definitely in creative sync with [Fox] now, and we're working enormously hard to make the episodes as exciting as humanly possible. And they recognize that the quality of the work is really high, and I can say that without reservation, because the work that we're doing is so hard. The actors are as good a bunch of actors to a man as I've ever worked with. And I've got [executive producer] Tim Minear and [writer] Ben Edlund and ... some great goddamned minds working on the show. So when I say the quality is high, I'm not just bragging. Well, I'm sort of bragging. More boasting than bragging." Firefly airs Fridays at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
Old 11-23-02, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm by no means a Whedonite, but I really like this show. I hope people give it a chance because I think it's a good show now and has tons of potential to become even better.

WATCH FIREFLY!

Old 11-23-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amen, Zeus, Amen.
Old 11-24-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I (Buffymaniac-wannabe) thought firefly was very zzzzz...

But its growing on me - I hope it stays.. Good scifi is not easy to come by.
Old 11-24-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
You OBVIOUSLY haven't been watching the Sci-Fi Channel.

Just look at what you're missing as I type --

Old 11-24-02, 10:57 PM
Banned

I havent been able to get into Firefly.

Braveheart is Sci Fi??

I hate the channel since they cancelled Farscape!!!!
Old 11-25-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
So if a movie is set place in a time where people "thought" magic and superstition were real, even though I can't recall any scene in the movie where magic or superstition were used, it still counts as Sci-Fi? That's the strangest tag line I have ever seen. Is that for real?
Old 11-25-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's a lame stretch. Can't wait to see Lord of the Rings: FOTR on the Sci-Fi channel!
Old 11-25-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by spainlinx0
So if a movie is set place in a time where people "thought" magic and superstition were real, even though I can't recall any scene in the movie where magic or superstition were used, it still counts as Sci-Fi? That's the strangest tag line I have ever seen. Is that for real?
Of course, people today think magic and superstition are real, too...

So I guess any and all films are Sci-Fi. Cool. It'll make sorting my movies so much easier now that there's only one genre.
Old 11-25-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have never watched any of Josh Whedon's shows before Firefly but I am starting to wonder if I missed anything good. I can not give this show enough praise it is the most entertaining show I have seen in quite a while. It mixes humor and adventure and throws in a little drama to make it interesting. I think this show is far and away better than John Doe which I also like but nowhere near the extent of Firefly. I just hope this show gets a chance to prove itself before we find out if it sucks or not!

Thats my rant and I am sticking to it.