Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Themes to the Brosnan "Bond" films...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-22-02, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it just me, or do they keep getting continually worse? Goldeneye's them was bad (probably the worst Bond theme up to that point), but then Sheryl Crowe managed to make even Goldeneye seem good when she did Tomorrow Never dies. Garbage topped that with the terrible WOrld Is Not Enough theme, but Madonna's "Die Another Day," is not just the worst Bond theme I have ever heard, but probably one of the worst songs I have ever heard...period. Hopefully for the next Bond movie, they will geta decent theme song to go along with the movie.

Sorry for the rant, but I just saw "Die Another Day," and while the movie was fun, the music (especially the theme), was just plain awful.
Old 11-22-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that the Madonna song has to be the worst Bond theme I've heard.
However, Tomorrow Never Dies is one of my favorite - possibly my MOST favorite - themes!
Old 11-22-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

K.D. Lang's theme for Tomorrow Never Dies, "Surrender," is the best Brosnan song.
Old 11-22-02, 11:48 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I though Garbage's the World is not enough was the best. Has any of you seen the MTV of that song, it was pretty cool by itself.

But I agree with you all, Madonna's Die another day was no doubt the worst of all Bond's theme song.
Old 11-23-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought Tina Turner's "Goldeneye" had a lot of "Tin-attitude"
Old 11-23-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Goldeneye was pretty bad, but what else would you expect from a song written by Bono.

TND was so-so.

TWINE at least fit the mold for a Bond theme. It was a huge sweeping number.

Die Another Day?
Old 11-23-02, 02:07 AM

Madonna really missed with Die Another Day. Perhaps the worst Bond theme song since Man With The Golden Gun, if not ever. I agree that Goldeneye was one of the worst as well. But Madonna obviously has little understanding of the Bond genre of film music.

I actually kind of liked Garbage's theme to the last movie, but the best Bond song of the last thirty years or so has got to be K.D. Lang's "Surrender" from Tomorrow Never Dies. She just nailed it on that one.

I don't know what the Bond producer's were smoking when they chose Sheryl Crow's song over K.D. Lang's for the main titles - Sheryl Crow just does not have the range to pull off a Bond tune. It's pretty obvious they are going for the better known, more commercial choice in a desperate attempt for a hit single to better promote the movie, hence the choice of Madonna.

But I wish they would go for a more adventurous choice like Bjork or Portishead, or even a male singer for a change.

Is there any chance John Barry might come back for one more stab at composing a Bond film score? He really is the master of the whole style.

Cary
Old 11-23-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go ahead and flame me. I actually think the Madonna song isn't all that bad.
Old 11-23-02, 07:05 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally posted by Wormwood
Go ahead and flame me. I actually think the Madonna song isn't all that bad.
I've got to agree with Wormwood... I thought the theme was alright and I love how the opening theme sequence moved the story along. I would call DADs opening sequence my favorite of the Bond Openings. The songs a far cry from perfect, but the song fit the mood and the visuals of that sequence.

As for her part in the film... I could have cared less, but I'm glad that her part was just that... less.
Old 11-23-02, 07:33 PM

Damn Madonna for not taking the "Bond theme formula" and rehashing it again. Also, are some of you not hearing the dramatic strings in the song? Should they have gotten Mariah Carey to record a swooping ballad to be played over Bonds torture sequence? I suspect Madonna was told her song would need to connect with that, because of the lyrics and Madonna used all of those visuals in the video. If you think a slow dramatic power ballad would have fit better over or between the events in the film it's placed, then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 11-23-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ChristopherS
Damn Madonna for not taking the "Bond theme formula" and rehashing it again. Also, are some of you not hearing the dramatic strings in the song? Should they have gotten Mariah Carey to record a swooping ballad to be played over Bonds torture sequence? I suspect Madonna was told her song would need to connect with that, because of the lyrics and Madonna used all of those visuals in the video. If you think a slow dramatic power ballad would have fit better over or between the events in the film it's placed, then I don't know what to tell you.
It's not about "rehashing" the Bond theme formula. To have one of your songs used in a Bond movie used to be an enormous honor. It was never something that was to be taken lightly. Paul McCartney said once that he had two career aspirations. One was to write a song for Frank Sinatra and the other was to write a Bond theme. When he accomplished the latter he rose to the occasion marvelously. It's obvious that Madonna doesn't hold the film series in the same respect that McCartney or any of the other songwriters have over the years. The Madonna song is just BAD no matter how you cut it. She took what should have been a major distinction for her career and took a steaming pile on it. The whole "Madonna has to do something different or else she's not Madonna" idea goes right out the window. She didn't deliver the goods in my opinion.

Old 11-23-02, 09:48 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Paul McCartney said once that he had two career aspirations...
Before I say anything this is part response, part blatant

Really, I thought his two aspirations were...
Spoiler:
to outlive his bandmates and marry a one-legged woman.

I know that that might sound harsh, but I really don't like Paul McCartney... or the Beatles for that matter, but that's for another post in another forum.

As far as their being a formula for a Bond song, I think that is obsurd. That's like saying that every cartoon disney makes need to have a song and dance number every five minutes. That's just taking it to far.

To be asked to carry the torch in the Olympics is an honor. To be awarded a Nobel Prize is an honor. To be asked to do a Bond theme... that's money in your poket as far as I'm concerned. Sure 30 years ago i would have, but lets face it, nowadays its all about the Benjamins...

Get a good/popular artist/group to do your number and you've got airtime on MTV... you get more press...

I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I'm just sick of everybody trying to establish "laws" on songs that accompany films. Its been a trend for the past 10 years (it all started with Seal and that #$^% Kiss From A Rose)... and it ain't gonna stop anytime soon.

By the way, I'm going to apologize for the comments about Paul, but I'm not editing them.
Old 11-23-02, 10:04 PM

TWINE at least fit the mold for a Bond theme. It was a huge sweeping number.
I agree completely...TWINE really does fit in with the best of the Bond songs and is probably in my Top 5.
Old 11-24-02, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Goldberg74
I've got to agree with Wormwood... I thought the theme was alright and I love how the opening theme sequence moved the story along. I would call DADs opening sequence my favorite of the Bond Openings. The songs a far cry from perfect, but the song fit the mood and the visuals of that sequence.
I couldn't disagree more (about the song, that is). I thought the visuals were great, but the pathetic excuse for a theme song was so distracting that I couldn't focus on the visuals the way I wanted to. It was a complete, utter failure in whatever it was trying to accomplish, and I was very glad when it was over.

Then again, maybe that was the intent all along. Make the song so torturously bad that we are better able to empathize with Bond .
Old 11-24-02, 12:20 PM

It's not about "rehashing" the Bond theme formula. To have one of your songs used in a Bond movie used to be an enormous honor. It was never something that was to be taken lightly. Paul McCartney said once that he had two career aspirations. One was to write a song for Frank Sinatra and the other was to write a Bond theme. When he accomplished the latter he rose to the occasion marvelously. It's obvious that Madonna doesn't hold the film series in the same respect that McCartney or any of the other songwriters have over the years. The Madonna song is just BAD no matter how you cut it. She took what should have been a major distinction for her career and took a steaming pile on it. The whole "Madonna has to do something different or else she's not Madonna" idea goes right out the window. She didn't deliver the goods in my opinion.

you HAVE to be kidding. getting to do a Bond theme is a big deal but you're getting a little carried away. i'm sure Paul McCartney said what he said while promoting his song and with his tounge in his cheek. Madonna has shown no disrespect. if the producers did not want a Madonna song they wouldn't have asked her to do it. I think the Bond audience just isn't into electronic/techno type music and is offended by the attempt to move the stale Bond themes into new territory. there's always next movie, maybe they'll go back to artists who can't crack the top 100 or they'll get Kelly Clarkson to sing a big ballad or something. that should be exciting.
Old 11-24-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ChristopherS
you HAVE to be kidding. getting to do a Bond theme is a big deal but you're getting a little carried away. i'm sure Paul McCartney said what he said while promoting his song and with his tounge in his cheek.
Actually he said it in 1990 in an interview with Kurt Loder. As we all know Live And Let Die was written back in 1973. Yeah I may be getting carried away but at the same time I still think if you're a musician doing a Bond theme was at one time a "big deal". Obviously judging by todays standards it's just another soundtrack.

You have to realize something as well. Bond fans are a bit "fanatical". The 007 series may be seen to some as "just another movie" but to the fans of the films and the Ian Flemming novels on which they are based, they are going to be very particular about these things. There are certain things that you associate with a 007 film. The Aston Martin DB5, The Walther PBK, the gadgets, the "Bond Girls", and the "Bond Theme". It's not something that I concocted. But its a perception that exists.

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 11-24-02 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-24-02, 02:45 PM

Actually he said it in 1990 in an interview with Kurt Loder. As we all know Live And Let Die was written back in 1973. Yeah I may be getting carried away but at the same time I still think if you're a musician doing a Bond theme was at one time a "big deal". Obviously judging by todays standards it's just another soundtrack.

You have to realize something as well. Bond fans are a bit "fanatical". The 007 series may be seen to some as "just another movie" but to the fans of the films and the Ian Flemming novels on which they are based, they are going to be very particular about these things. There are certain things that you associate with a 007 film. The Aston Martin DB5, The Walther PBK, the gadgets, the "Bond Girls", and the "Bond Theme". It's not something that I concocted. But its a perception that exists.

I understand completely. I just don't think the song desrves to be thrashed.
Old 11-25-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I am surprised that with all the comparisons to bad Bond songs of the past, I've yet to see anyone express the opinion that "The Living Daylights" has one of the worst. I couldn't sing along with this tune even if my life depended on it because I don't friggin' know what A-ha is saying! Is it in English?!?