Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

CG vs. makeup

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CG vs. makeup

anyone miss the good ol days of stan winston and the henson creature shop?

i look at Legend and see phenomenal special effects. and look then at Mummy Returns and think the scorpion king would have looked so much better 10-15 years ago when we weren't able to use CG.
Old 11-21-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there is no reason why the two can't co-exist, and in many cases, they get both in the picture just fine.
Old 11-21-02, 04:14 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: CG vs. makeup

Originally posted by pdinosaur
anyone miss the good ol days of stan winston and the henson creature shop?

i look at Legend and see phenomenal special effects. and look then at Mummy Returns and think the scorpion king would have looked so much better 10-15 years ago when we weren't able to use CG.
While I agree that the Scorpian King CGI monster was really bad, I'm not sure they could have done the same scene using puppets. Can you cite any movie's non-CGI effects from 10-15 years ago that could have replaced the finale in the Mummy Returns?

Personally, I tend to agree more with those who say we're in a transition period. Especially with the CGI Yoda and Dobby from SW Ep II and HP Chamber of Secrets, you can see that these effects are getting better and better. And especially in the case of Chamber of Secrets, filmmakers are doing a better job of incorporating them into stories.

It will be back and forth for some time still, but as computers become more powerful (and cheaper) I think the limiting factor is going to be more about actors' abilities to realistically interact with blue screens and CGI characters that aren't on the set the day of filming.