Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

They? Anyone heard anything about this upcoming film?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard anything about this new movie hitting movie theaters on November 27th? What's the plot etc..? How is Wes Craven involved? What's the buzz about this movie? Who stars in it?Any big name or stars in it or not?Is anyone here going to go see it? Are there any movies already made similar to this movie?
Old 11-21-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A title would help...
Old 11-21-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Oh wait. hee hee, I skipped over it because it's so simple.

the movie itself. Wes craven is one sick mofo with some screwed up childhood. I assume he just came up with the idea, presented it to the studio heads and they made it.

Looks to be what lurks under your bed at nights type of monster(s) that haunted some folks. Could be very scary if done right. I would choose this movie over darkness falls.
Old 11-21-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0283632

According to one viewer said was an 'average beastie flick'. Guess I skipped this one.
Old 11-21-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, the previews look great. Too bad it looks like Ol' Wes last his magic several movies ago. I want this to be good... but I doubt it will be.
Old 11-21-02, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wes Craven didn't do anything on this movie... he (read as Dimension forced him to) just put his name on it for the release... so more people would come see another run of the mill, below average horror flick....

MATT
Old 11-21-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
First THEM!
Now THEY

Can't wait for THESE and THOSE

Old 11-21-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From the commercial I saw, it seems that people are haunted by something in their dreams. Wasn't that the same thing with the "nightmare on elm street" movies? And weren't those also by Wes Craven? Sounds like someone is running out of ideas.
Old 11-29-02, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Saw this tonight... it was kinda weak. Fairly generic. Bad acting. A few decent scares. Interesting story that developed, but they never really explored deep enough. Kinda mindless, but somewhat fun - I think this would be a good time for alot of horror fans.
Old 11-29-02, 12:37 PM

I saw it. It was pretty good compared to the recent horror films, which isn't really saying much. It was entertaining at least, and made me jump a couple times. I thought it ended a little too quickly and abruptly ... an additional 10-15 minutes would have been nice, but I guess that's what sequels are for.

If you have the opportunity, watch the trailer for Darkness Falls, and then watch this movie. Looks almost like they changed the name, but they're really two different movies, I promise.

Last edited by Clay Human; 11-29-02 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-29-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Clay Human
If you have the opportunity, watch the trailer for Darkness Falls, and then watch this movie. Looks almost like they changed the name, but they're really two different movies, I promise.
Yeah - I saw the trailer before THEY... some of it does look similar. Wonder which of these similar movies is the crappy one? I would've thought it would be the Tooth Fairy one.
Old 11-29-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this piece o crap on Wednesday. The lead actress needs a cheeseburger or something. Somebody feed her. The movie was kind of pointless.
Spoiler:
Why didn't the things just kill them when they were younger. They just felt like waiting around until they are in their twenties to off em' or whatever? Everyone just seemed to be waiting around to get killed. Was she the last one because she was more athletic? Even though it's set up for a sequel, I didn't care enough about any of the characters to even care what happened to any of them in the sequels which are most likely to be direct to video.
The psychiatrist guy looked like the guy from Trading Spaces.
Old 11-29-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Me thinketh They stinketh.
Old 11-30-02, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Pillowhead
Saw this piece o crap on Wednesday. The lead actress needs a cheeseburger or something. Somebody feed her.
I didn't see any problems with her size...

Spoiler:
Why didn't the things just kill them when they were younger. They just felt like waiting around until they are in their twenties to off em' or whatever? Everyone just seemed to be waiting around to get killed.
[/B]
Spoiler:
you also don't know that they died, which is why it looks like there'll be a sequel.
Old 11-30-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the quote from this review:

"What happens when something goes bump in the night and nobody cares?" - GARY DOWELL / The Dallas Morning News

In case someone does care, here's the link.
Old 12-01-02, 03:44 AM
Banned

BRUTAL movie!!!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOh man, I went to see this movie tonight, having lots of anticipation. Ive been waiting weeks for this to come out, and thought it would be one of the best scarriest films, along the lines of "the others". But boy was I in for a surprise.

This movie has a decent introduction, but it soon tails off into way too many sub plots that go no where! I was actually getting lost. It gets all twisted and the ending leaves a ton of question marks. Definity one of the worst endings ever in a movie period.

Waste of $.
Old 12-01-02, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Major disappointment. Skip it.
Old 12-01-02, 01:34 PM
Banned

What a joke it was. Im sick of all these movies having such good trailers to suck you in, then the movie stinks!
Old 12-01-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good acting, but very BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG. I closed my eyes a few times to see if I could fall asleep, but I couldn't. I actually heard the entire theater shifting around in their seats from boredom. A LOT of people got up and left before the movie was over.

Over the 5 day weekend the movie made 8 million dollars, and considering that the movie had a relatively small budget, that's not half bad. After the word of mouth though, this movie will sink like a stone.

Also, this movie was released in the UK a few weeks back and it has a completely different ending tacked on! It also has an extra scene.
Old 02-03-04, 04:34 PM
Cool New Member

Well, I picked this little find up the other day. At 5 bucks, I figured what the Hell.

I had a slight memory of the trailer, but that was it. So for the most part, I was going in blind.

The short version:

I found the movie to be better than what I figured (considering just how little I've heard about it) and that it was full of potential. However, the potential isn't enough to save the end product.

******The long version contains spoilers******

The Long Version

They starts out with a decent opening. It takes balls (anymore) to start a movie off with a little kid (presumably) being murdered. The scene did a decent job of setting tone. And considering it was directed by Robert Harmon (who did The Hitcher, a fav of mine) I thought I might have an overlooked gem on my hands.

But the movie soon turns into the inevitable: A horror movie going by the "How To Make Horror Movies" handbook. You get all the normal horror movie cliches: The flashlight going out at the worse possible moment (this one really irritates me to no end anymore...Every damn movie in which darkness is key has used this now, and it's getting mighty old), the phone ringing at a suspenseful moment, and every damn thing else except the cat jumping out at you scene.

Some Key elements that took me out of any kind of mood or pace the movie tried to build up were:

*Billy's suicide in the diner- I know it's much more dramatic (and I use the term loosely here) this way, but I doubt anyone would have done it that way. I think it would have worked better if Julia would have said something that he took the wrong way and he left.....only to have killed himself later. More plausible, plus she gets even more "guilt" feelings.

*When we learn that the characters in question (and presumably all others...such as the little girl in the waiting room) are "marked" when young, only to be "harvested" upon reaching mid-twenties. Why? Why limit it to kids who have "Night Terrors?" If the main driving force behind these creatures is food (which unless I missed something, is the only explanation given) why not just kill anyone alone in the dark? Or, if there is some kind of thought behind this (such as the creatures have enough intelligence to know that these people are considered mentally unstable and therefore when they come up missing it isn't as suspicious) why not just eat the homeless and others who would not be missed at all? Sometimes unanswered questions are beneficial, but they needed something more here to at least keep the plausibility factor in the "well I guess if there were such creatures I could see that happening" going. As it is, it only serves to break that essential "suspension of disbelief" that is key when watching this type of movie.

*Why are the creatures so damn fast all throughout the movie until that last few attacks on Julia. These sleek bastards were grabbing and pulling people ultra fast until the end. Suddenly, they got tired?

Of course there are more, but these were the biggies. The things that are unforgivable.

I know what you're thinking, "So why go to all this trouble if you didn't like the film?" Because I did like part of what was going on. Such as:

*The creatures- I liked the way they moved. I liked that you never really saw enough of them to lose the scary factor (something that kills other movies.....see Jeepers Creepers).

*The bleak ending- I liked the fact that the main character dies (however, we never actually see anyone die, so you could argue that) Something that I feel helps lift an sagging movie up a little (see Jeepers Creepers).

*The alternate ending- This ending would have made the film so much better, and the fact that it was filmed (and perhaps was the original ending....I don't know for sure) made some of the other faults more acceptable. Plus at the movie's beginning, Julia hears her mother saying she won't make it to visit her on Friday, but to keep taking her medicine. It seemed to tie it all together.

So all in all, a flawed film. But one that I wish would have been given a better treatment. The alternate ending is what I think compelled me to think this much about the film. When someone mentions "what films could improve with a re-make" this one will definitely spring to mind.

Anyone else have a chance to give this one a view? I'd like to hear some more thoughts on it.
Old 02-03-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They starts out with a decent opening. It takes balls (anymore) to start a movie off with a little kid (presumably) being murdered.
They didn't kill the kid, they were just implanting some peice of metal into his body. Julia finds one in her head towards the end of the film.

If you get the chance, go to www.arrowinthehead.com and read the original script. It's really great and actually creepy. Nothing like this film. The producer's completely changed everything. The original script was soooo good. It begins to feel very much like Invasion of the Body Snatchers when the characters don't know who to trust.
Old 02-03-04, 05:47 PM
Cool New Member

They didn't kill the kid, they were just implanting some peice of metal into his body. Julia finds one in her head towards the end of the film.
I know, that's why I put the presumably. However, you don't know that during the scene.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out.
Old 02-03-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a direct link

http://www.joblo.com/scripts/they2.htm

Enjoy!