Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Roger Dodger

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roger Dodger

If you get a chance to Campbell Scott in the new film ROGER DODGER then do so!

Scott is absolutely on fire spitting verbal firecrackers off left and right on just about everything.

It takes place mainly in one night where he seduces women and tries to get his nephew in bed with a girl (or woman).

Jennifer Beals and Elizabeth Berkley are along their path as is Issabella Rosellini (sp?).

Campbell Scott will be nominated for something. Some sort of acting award by at least the Globes.

You like and laugh at his jokes but feel digusted by him the next minute. Fine job by Campbell Scott.
Old 11-25-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw it last night. While the lines are hilarous, I don't know what to make of the entire movie. I don't know if Scott learned that womanizing doesn't really get you anywhere, but there was a LOT of truth in the movie even though it was a movie of lies.
Old 11-26-02, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs
Just saw it last night. While the lines are hilarous, I don't know what to make of the entire movie. I don't know if Scott learned that womanizing doesn't really get you anywhere, but there was a LOT of truth in the movie even though it was a movie of lies.
Yeah but sometimes "guys like that" have to be hit over the head with a 2x4 repeatedly before they get the point.

I was just amazed at how cool I thought his character was one moment and disgusted by him the next.
Old 11-29-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just saw this last night. It was nice seeing an extremely articulate male in a movie for once. However, I'm also a little ambivalent about how we were meant to respond to his character. Perhaps I'm just putting my own reading into something that wasn't necessarily onscreen. As a woman, I almost felt as if I SHOULD have been offended by his character, but I wasn't in the least. It was almost refreshing seeing a male character spout his cynical, skewed views instead of buttering up the women. I admired him for it. There was a lot of painful truth and insight in many of his comments. At the same time, I think he was totally clueless in how to relate to people (women, as well as men) as individuals, rather than a personality type. On the one hand, that could make him a pretty sorry character -- on the other, if it helps him maintain a DESIRED distance from people, I see nothing wrong with it.

I've seen responses on imdb where viewers compare this film to "In the Company of Men". Personally, I don't think the characters of Roger and Chad are alike.
Old 10-17-04, 06:07 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I just finished watching this movie for the first time and really enjoyed it. Despite the great one-liners, there was a good agenda to this film and the way it was portrayed. Campbell Scott did a fantastic job in the lead!
Old 10-17-04, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
I don't know if Scott learned that womanizing doesn't really get you anywhere,
Um, it gets you a lot of *****. That's what womanizing is.
Old 10-17-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I got this movie last Christmas as a gift from a firend, and I had never seen it before in my life. A solid movie to say the least, and I thought it was interesting that the filmmakers made a note that only in the indie scene could a movie like that get made. Sad, but true.
Old 10-17-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dr. DVD, thank you for digging out an old thread of mine.

The fact that only 4 people or whatever have commented on this proves how ridiculous Hollywood is.

The good movies never get seen, and we get spoonfed Garfield and Julia Roberts constantly.

Do yourself a favor and rent RD because it's unique and has some solid performances.
Old 10-18-04, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw this movie some time ago, and I think it's well done. Elizabeth Berkley is hot
Old 10-18-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Dr. DVD, thank you for digging out an old thread of mine.

The fact that only 4 people or whatever have commented on this proves how ridiculous Hollywood is.

The good movies never get seen, and we get spoonfed Garfield and Julia Roberts constantly.

Do yourself a favor and rent RD because it's unique and has some solid performances.
Thanks! But credit where credit is due, I didn't resurrect it. I just saw a thread about a movie I had enjoyed and this thread was started about a year before I would even view the film.

The above poster mentioned Elizabeth Berkley being hot, with which I will agree. Heck, it's amazing that she actually gives a good performance and seems to have totally shed the Showgirls debacle. On a related note, did you notice that her best friend was played by Jennifer Beals? Basically, you have the main stars of Showgirls and Flashdance together. What more could you want?!?
Old 10-18-04, 08:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
On a related note, did you notice that her best friend was played by Jennifer Beals? Basically, you have the main stars of Showgirls and Flashdance together. What more could you want?!?
Yeah, I noticed that. She was looking equally hot.
Old 10-18-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
My wife and I both liked it. I wasn't sure she would as we were watching it, but her reaction surprised me at the end.

Last edited by B.A.; 10-18-04 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-18-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I kept getting this movie confused with Romper Stomper. Now I know the difference. A friend was recommending it to me the other day and he's like "it's pretty funny." And I'm like, sarcastically, "Yeah, skinheads are funny."