Your best gaming memories

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-20-02, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this topic has been covered...but:

What are your best memories in video gaming? Some of mine are:[list=1][*]The first time I played Doom. I was a junior in high school, and my friend gave it to me on 2 3.5" disks! It was like nothing I'd ever seen before.[*]Playing WWF Wrestlefest at the arcades in Ocean City, MD. For my money, it's still one of the best wrestling games ever made. [/list=1]
Old 11-20-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Your best gaming memories

Final Fantasy 2: The hint book that came with the game only went to the part of the game where you get the airship. My brother and I played through the night and when we got to this part we were disappointed because we thought the game was going to be over soon. Little did we realize that there was another 3/4 of a game left...
Old 11-20-02, 11:32 AM

Quake I when the CTF mod came out. The game finally became a team game instead of deathmatches. The grappelling hook was great, being able to swing through rooms and getting access to places you couldn't get to before. CTF and the grappelling hook added another dimension to the game.
Old 11-20-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Greatest Memory
Playing through Contra on the NES countless times with my cousin, always using the legendary Konami Code. I still remember how we would use up the 30 lives, and start stealing lives from each other, and bickering about "you stole mine, so next game, I get to steal yours!" and crap like that.

2nd Place
Playing through Super Mario Bros. with friends, swapping at each new level. That game never got old for us. On SMB breaks, we would swap over to Duck Hunt, and always shoot at the laughing dog, in hopes it would fall over dead.

Notables
1. First time I saw Sonic the Hedgehog was on its release day. That game at the time was simply amazing - the speed, the level design, etc.

2. Playing DOOM for the first time was horror at its finest. I remember my friends and I tried repeatedly to survive this one area on Level 2, and just couldn't get through it. Once I got the game for myself, I didn't stop playing it(or DOOM II) for a couple years, seriously. It is that damn good.

3. Seeing the game everyone was raving about, "Mortal Kombat", at Putt-Putt. Huge crowd gathered around the machine, I eventually made my way forward, and the first thing I ever saw was Player 1(Scorpion) spear Player 2(Sub-Zero), and hearing "GET OVER HERE!" followed by an uppercut. Player 2 followed up with an ice freeze. The level was The Pit.

4. Playing through Resident Evil 2 for the first time. A friend spent the weekend at my house when I first bought the game, and we played through it until early morning. That game freaked the shizboo out of us, and it still stands as my favorite RE game.

5. Metal Gear Solid - The action, the storyline, the twists at the end, gameplay just like a movie, this is my favorite title of the last few years, and my favorite game on the PSX.

I really miss the old days.
At least I have my Konami Code t-shirt, plus the custom Contra shirt I'm making with a few friends.

Last edited by KingSmoth; 11-20-02 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-20-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
In chronological order (I'm 25):

Atari 2600: Whooping my dad at Combat at the age of 5

Commodore 64: Going to my friend's house and borrowing and copying all his games. Remember fast hack'em? I recently went on www.C64.com and got some serious nostalgia rush. My favorite games growing up: Skate or Die, Bruce Lee, Sex Cartoons, Ninja, Archon

NES: The first time I played at a kiosk in Venture was Super Mario Bros., and I was just blown away. I still never owned a Nintendo product.

Sega CD: Freshman year in college, I took a week off of classes to beat Lunar. I almost failed out of school because of this game. Friends still refer to it as the infamous lunar week.

Arcade: Sophomore year in high school against fellow DVDTalker Sundog, I pulled off Kano's heart fatality in accident. It was the most amazing thing. All the kids were like, DAAAAAMN!!! I spent all my allowance the next few weeks trying to figure out how the hell I did that.

Arcade: Senior year in high school, I pulled off my greatest run ever: 67 consecutive wins at Mortal Kombat II. I played about 5 guys all trying to take me down, and finally lost because I was so fried.

PSX: The first dog through the window in Resident Evil. Playing in college dorm sophomore year, there were 10 of us in the room with all the lights out and the stereo on loud. We all died of a heart attack. I had the game out a week overdue until I finally beat tyrant. The whole room erupted in cheers at 1 in the morning and we all got written up.

MAME: Building a cabinet this year and getting it up and running. Then having friends over and taking turns at Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition just like the old days.

Last edited by rabbit77; 11-20-02 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-20-02, 11:55 AM
Banned

One more thing:

Please include your age (or a rough estimate thereof) . It helps put things into perspective.

I'm 24.
Old 11-20-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

- In 1987, Beating Might and Magic I, which gave an address to send in my score. I did and got a letter signed by the creator of the game, Jon Van Caneghem.

- Sometime around 1985-86, Staying up half of the night playing Gauntlet on the C64, trying to see how many levels the game actually had.

- Discovering a cool trick in the C64 cartridge "Maze Master"... You could change individual letters and numbers in the character save codes, and improve your stats. Most of the time it didn't work and the character died, but each time we found a combination that worked, we would write it down and start altering it some more. We spent weeks messing with those codes, coming up with gos-like characters.

- The huge arcades of the early '80's. They were everywhere!

- The joys of Fast Hack 'Em on the C64.

- My first Atari 2600.

- The first time I got the Galaga no fire trick to work.
Old 11-20-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Favorite old school memory is first time I saw Ms. Pac-Man. Waited 3 hours for a chance to play it just once.

Favorite high scool memory:
1. The joy when my mom called from KMart to say that she had actually found a copy of SMB2 (this was back when Nintendo was purposely shorting supply to create a frenzy)

2. Knocking out Mike Tyson

3. Tecmo Bowl

Favorite college memories:
1. In a drunken trash talking frenzy, beating my roommate in NHL '94 ten straight times one night, then declaring that if he could do the same to me, I'd give him my Genesis (he never came close)

2. (my all time favorite) Playing Madden 92 or 93 (can't remember) - I'm the Falcons and I'm down by 4 to my roommate who has the ball at my 10 yard line with time running out. Instead of just taking a knee - he's being an a$$ and trying to run up the score. He throws it in the endzone, Deion picks it off and returns it 103 yards for the game winning TD.

3. Playing Madden against Chris Webber at Michigan (I got killed)

Favorite "recent" memory:
1. Reading about the then-unknown original GTA on the web, then finding a copy of the European release at Electronic Boutique. Couldn't believe you could do that stuff in a game.

2. Madden 2001 on PS2 - losing on a last second game-winning TD only to have the play reviewed and overturned. I nearly fell out of my chair - I didn't know that was even a feature.
Old 11-20-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bought my first Neo Geo home c art system, 2 joysticks, 2 games, for only $100 back in 1992 (when it was retailing at $600)
Old 11-20-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I'm 26:

Favorite Console Memories:

Playing "Wizards and Warriors" on my NES for 6 straight hours, only to have my parents blow the power during a renovation of the house.

Beating "Battletoads" and "Super Battletoads." Hardest. Games. Ever....jet ski...shudder

Favorite Arcade Memories:

Playing "Mortal Kombat" in Las Vegas against national Street Fighter champs, only to come home to Sioux City, IA and WIPE THE FLOOR against everyone. I hardly ever lost.

Going to the mall on my moped at 11 am on a Sunday and beating "Street Fighter II - Championship Edition" on 5 bucks with every character (I know, I know, but I never used Zangief, Bison or Vega, so it took me a few continues )

Pulling off Sub-Zero's "Freeze Fatality" in "Mortal Kombat II" against a punk at the State Fair. 5 of my friends were watching at the time. Classic...

Footnote:

Whenever "Forbidden Forest" or "Slinky" for the Commodore 64 loaded correctly off the tape drive. I was always SO happy.
Old 11-20-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Atari 2600 : Playing the then graphic masterpiece,"Pitfall"

Commodore Amiga : Loads of fun with "Leisure Suit Larry 3 and 4"

Sega Genesis : NBA JAM...... "Boomshakalaka!"
Old 11-20-02, 01:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Back in college when my girlfriend found a creative use for the new "rumble back" on the N64.
Old 11-20-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Age 28

Yars Revenge

countless all nighters with Legend of Zelda on original NES the having school the next day...

most recent - Omaha Beach MOHAA
Old 11-20-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Shuki
countless all nighters with Legend of Zelda on original NES the having school the next day...
That game has left an imprint on my mind... I find that at least once a week or so, I can't get the music from it out of my head.

It's playing right now.
Old 11-20-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I'm 26.

Atari- Flying an xwing, trying to blow up an AT-AT.

NES- getting into the negative world in Super Mario Bros.
- Contra- the first time I ever punched in a code.
- Mike Tyson's Punch-out- Still can't beat him

PSX- Beating Crash Bandicoot. Played it for days on end getting all the stupid apples.
- rabbit77 indtroducing me to Bust-a-move2. We played that game all night despite a rather rocking party going on around us (with quite a few hotties).

SPY
Old 11-20-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bothanspy
Atari- Flying an xwing, trying to blow up an AT-AT.
And you call yourself a Bothan... Shouldn't it be a snow speeder?

Old 11-20-02, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
I'm 35.

Playing Space Invaders on my 2600 so much that I started having extreme difficulty reading books.

Blisters on my thumbs.

Mattel Electronics Football. (And I never even liked football)

Blowing all of my paper route money on Dragon's Lair.

Seeing Space Duel and Tempest for the first time (color vector graphics !?!?!?!? Awesome!)

Killer marathon sessions of Rogue in my dorm room.

Flight Simulator and that pesky stall sound.

Wolfenstein 3d on my old 286 and using the "goobers" cheats.

Doom

Duke Nuke'em 3d and my first modem dialup deathmatch!

UT and my first internet online gaming experiences. HEADSHOT!

Tribes2, farming some flag D turrets, looking up to see 2 Havocs full of juggs incoming, mortars already inbound. 'Sigh'
Old 11-20-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm 25
In no particular order:

Playing Decathalon and World Games on the PC back in the day when all you had to do was jam on two keys as fast as possible. Cliff diving in World Games was tough!

Test Drive on the Commodore 64 with it's stupid long load times

Sniper Wolf's death in Metal Gear Solid

Booting up Blue Lightning for the first time on my Atari Lynx. Damn that had a nice screen. Also playing Slime World with 6 players and California games with 4. Lynxing up games was awesome.

Getting a Stunt gold medal on Pipe Dreams in SSX for PS2

Mass maul sessions in College with Tekken3 on the PS1. I used Hworang and Yoshimitsu generally. You weren't allowed to use Gon or Dr. B, and man did I hate Law and Paul.

Playing Mario Kart on N64 on my dorm's big screen TV till 3AM. Toad was the ultimate character.
Old 11-20-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im almost 23 and here are just a few. Im sure there are more

Commadore-My first comp game playing. CARMEN SANDIAGO

Aracade-Beating double dragon three straight times in a row at the same party :-) Yes it was a very boring pizza party when i was in 4th grade

Arcade-Winning a MK tourney at a mall. There were like 50 people there playing and i was also the youngest playing and i beat them all. Damn i love Raiden :-)

NES-Recieving Dragon Warrior free for subscibing to Nes power magazine. I didnt even know i was going to get it. Then i was hooked on it so much i played until i beat the darn thing

N64-The all day bondathon GoldenEye and World is Not enough multi player extravaganza. 4 guys , 4 controllers, 1 system.

Dreamcast-The All Night 6 people Quake 3 arena tourney. Boy was that a lot of frags

PC- WHen i had AOL a long time ago there was this free Mech game where you have to take over areas . When you did they turned your teams color. My team took over the entire map and held it for 5 hours straight. Yes 5 hours straight :-) It was a boring rainy day
Old 11-20-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Heavy Barrell - A local pizza palor had this game and I would play a lot. I was playing it the day the '89 earthquake hit and ended up losing my quarter.

Mario Kart: SNES - The Battle Modes, I was always koopa, my friend was always toad.

Wu Tang Clan: Shaolin Style - I would always get my ass whooped in a 3way against my friends. I took a day and learned tons of moves. A week or so later, I whipped out my "madcats" and whooped ass. You should've seen the expression on their faces.
Old 11-20-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My greatest moment would be went I beat one of the very best Warcraft 2 players ever, 3 league matches in a row.

Most fun would be when myself and a friend use to regularly stay up till 4 trying to beat some of the old console rpgs, stuff like Ys, Ultima 4, Rings of Power, Phantasy Star.

Other good memories would be EA's classic "EA Hockey" on the genesis, no one could touch me on that game .
Also the Sonic 2 - 2 player battle mode, same as above .

Chris
Old 11-20-02, 04:18 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Asteroids on Atari
Phantasy Star on Sega Master System

then on PC:

Zork 3
Bards Tale
Ultima 3 and 4
Command & Conquer
Old 11-20-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by The Franchise
I'm 25
In no particular order:

Playing Decathalon and World Games on the PC back in the day when all you had to do was jam on two keys as fast as possible.
After awhile they added the little plastic guards around the top part of the buttons so you could only use your fingers and couldn't slam the machine with your entire hand......
Old 11-20-02, 05:54 PM

Memories

I'm 25

Atari 2600:

Picking off passes the easy way with Football (by running past the QB only to reappear in the secondary)

The shrill sound heard on potential homerun ball in Baseball

Catching the end of the video game crash and being able to find tons of different cartridges in the bargain bins at Kay-Bee toys (Unfortunately E.T. was one of them)

Solaris: The last decent 2600 game

286 IBM Compatible Computer with EGA graphics:

Countless hours flying missions in Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain (Later on, I was so mad when I could barely run the sequel: Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe)

King's Quest V (All we had was a 5.25 drive so I had to send in the 3.5 disks in the mail and they sent back like 20 5.25 back to me) It's too bad adventure games suck now

Endless hours of Civilization (Let's go Nuke 'em!) and Simcity (I Hate traffic!)

A multitude of great shareware games

Playing season after season of Earl Weaver baseball (with CGA graphics!

Nintendo 64

Taking back the machine after a few weeks of buying it at launch time (too few decent games out at first) and feeling good about it

Playstation:

My GF (and wife now) taking Thanksgiving break at college to finish Metal Gear Solid

Playstation 2:

Playing a game of Madden with Keenan McCardell (of the NFL) at E3. I returned a fumble for a TD in the short 5 minute game. I was connect to a SOCOM style headset and was in his ear the whole game after that

Last edited by ufgatorinla; 11-20-02 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-20-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Playing Metriod in damn near 10 hour shifts during the X-mas school break, beating it and find out Samus was a girl

The rush of beating SMB 3 wearing the hammer suit looking like a total badass.

Being soooo pissed off about having a SNES when Mortal Kombat came out that I did odd jobs all around the neighborhood for two months and bought a Sega so I could play the "real deal"

Playing Goldeneye in the mall and that immediatly lead to me getting my first credit card just so I could charge a N64 four controllers and Goldeneye. Which then lead to allnight "Bond Fires" till 7:30 in the morning knowing that me and my friends all had 8:00 classes. But 6 floor write ups, 1 failed class and three friends for life I am STILL THE BOND CHAMP!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.