Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

xbox live, it's not free?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 12:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xbox live, it's not free?

so are there any games that doesn't require xbox live?
Old 11-19-02, 01:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You can play Halo online with a little work through Gamespy on your PC.
Old 11-19-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: xbox live, it's not free?

Originally posted by IC_Freeze
so are there any games that doesn't require xbox live?
Smart@$$ answer: YES

I believe that any game that is system link capable is playable over Xconnect.
Old 11-19-02, 03:28 PM

I personally perfer Live because I keep having to deal with lags with Gamespy. I'd rather play Live games online.
Old 11-19-02, 09:20 PM

If you'd rather think of it this way...
$50 buys you the communicator with a year's worth of Live FREE

Once you play Live you won't want to play it any other way (unless you can't, like Halo).
Old 11-20-02, 09:52 AM

I agree, plus you get the Demo games. You can spend days playing Moto GP with just the 3 tracks that they give you and have an absolute blast! Once you play live and use the communicator you will see what you are paying for. I will still got to XBC for some Halo action but Ghost Recon has almost erased even my Halo time. This game is just too good.
Old 11-20-02, 10:04 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Kainan
I agree, plus you get the Demo games. You can spend days playing Moto GP with just the 3 tracks that they give you and have an absolute blast! Once you play live and use the communicator you will see what you are paying for. I will still got to XBC for some Halo action but Ghost Recon has almost erased even my Halo time. This game is just too good.
Definetly... I had a blast one night playing the Moto GP demo for 3 hours. There were always 12-15 people racing at a time.

On that note, is Moto GP live enabled, or is that a new version coming out? The MOto GP in stores doesn't mention Live at all. Or is there a download to make it live?

And the demo of Whacked was a blast. I hadn't even considered that game before I got my live kit. Now, I am thinking of picking it up.
Old 11-20-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by Vryce
On that note, is Moto GP live enabled, or is that a new version coming out? The MOto GP in stores doesn't mention Live at all. Or is there a download to make it live?

And the demo of Whacked was a blast. I hadn't even considered that game before I got my live kit. Now, I am thinking of picking it up.
Only the version of MotoGP that comes with Live Kit is online enabled. It's 99% identical (Doesn't have the training stuff). It's good to both, because by having saved MotoGP games on your XBOX, unlocks tracks, riders, and bikes in MotoGP online.

I didn't like Whacked, but there's a ton of people that love it, so my advice is to rent the full version before you by it.

Old 11-20-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by goLUCKY
Only the version of MotoGP that comes with Live Kit is online enabled. It's 99% identical (Doesn't have the training stuff). It's good to both, because by having saved MotoGP games on your XBOX, unlocks tracks, riders, and bikes in MotoGP online.

I didn't like Whacked, but there's a ton of people that love it, so my advice is to rent the full version before you by it.

So if I rent MotoGP and unlock some stuff (and save) I can play other tracks etc. online? I wouldn't need the original disc, just the demo?
Old 11-20-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Icculus
So if I rent MotoGP and unlock some stuff (and save) I can play other tracks etc. online? I wouldn't need the original disc, just the demo?
True to that one.
Old 11-20-02, 12:13 PM

Try Xbconnect (xbconnect.com) if you don't want to pay for Live.
You can play Halo on there too. I find it to be less laggy than Gamespy. The only downside is you can't play any Sega games.

Live is good, but I'm not looking forward to paying the speculated 10 dollars a month to sustain your Live account, after the first year.
Old 11-20-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Just the idea of having a national rankings database for Unreal Championship will keep me addicted forever. I'm just starting to win matches and I've already jumped from 4000's to 2000's.

$50 is a drop of the hat when you think about how much fun and how much replay value there is. The communicator alone is worth it.

Then again, if you don't have broadband already, it'll be more. But shoot, even broadband is worth it. I got broadband specifically for X-Box but now it's like I can't even fathom 56K.
Old 11-20-02, 12:33 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

$50 for a year is a really good deal... Even $10/month, while a little more then double is still decent.

I won't pay $10/month for a game like everquest because that is the only game you can play. With XBox live, you get lots of games as well as downloadable contect for other games. Just last night I downloaded a bunch of new costumes for the players in DOA3