Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

kmart.com's idiotic order cancellation policy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the E.T. 3-disc gift set during the kmart.com price error just over a month ago. Since I know that price errors aren't always honored by the store, I called in and verified that the correct item was listed and that it was going to be sent out at the listed price. All was good. I was willing to wait if the item was backordered.

The release date came and went, and a number of other members of DVDTalk who had gotten in on the price error received their copies. Oddly enough, people who had ordered their copies after mine received them, while my order was still processing. I called in to verify that it was still valid and I was not only assured that it was, but I was told that the item would ship the next week.

Today, I received an e-mail stating that my order had been cancelled and to call a number to find out why. I did so, and I was told that my address was undeliverable. I contested that, as my address absolutely is deliverable (not a P.O. box or anything), and the rep concurred that they hadn't even tried to ship the item. He then said that it must have been cancelled because over 30 days had gone by, although this would mean their system was wrong.

After some more checking, it was determined that the item is considered out of stock, so they can't even reinstate the item. I just wanted them to keep the order alive, and I'd be happy to wait until it was available again, but they said their system didn't work that way. Their solution?

*Check The Website Every Day (or not, as I wish) To See If the Item is Listed*

They said that they should be able to adjust the price at that point. Do they care that this will cause me even more time and effort? No. Do they care that my order, placed a long time ago, would be filled after new people placing orders? No. Do they care that the reps I talked to before assured me that the item would be sent out? No. Do they care that I could have gotten the 2-disk set for a lot less the week that this came out, plus that all the sets are going on moratorium in less than a month? No. They could have made me a bit happier (not much, but enough not to hate K-mart) by offering me a coupon. Even a coupon for $5 off $50 or something like that that I'd never use. At least it would be something to show that they care about me as a customer.

I told the supervisor (I refuse to yell at customer service people - I know from personal experience that they can't do anything, so it's just mean to yell at them) that I wanted to talk to someone higher up, and he said there wasn't anyone else (yeah, right). I said that I would never shop there again, and he didn't seem impressed. I outright *asked* if he could give me something to make up for the effort and the incorrect information I received and not receiving the item ever probably, and he said that he couldn't do that.

ARGH!! I understand if deals go bad or aren't honored, but this wasn't a deal anymore, this was a standard order that had been verified by the customer service people at the company!
Old 11-18-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your address look strange to the casual observer? That is, why didn't they even try to deliver it?

That does suck, but there's not much you can do at this point.
Old 11-19-02, 12:17 AM

Not at all - it's a standard street address. It doesn't even have an apartment number or anything. The only time I had an issue was when a company had the wrong city name down, but they verified here that they had the right city and zip code (and it shows up on-line correctly also).
Old 11-19-02, 02:08 PM

Damn it! Same thing happened to me. Cancellation email. Called and they said their system is showing it was "received," so that meant they had a bad address for me. WTF! Nevermind that I've been calling every 3 or 4 days over the past two weeks and they've been telling me that my order status is "allocated" and that I should be getting a shipping notice any day now. I'm on hold now with their customer service. Just needed to vent. Will post back after this phone call and I pick my daughter up from preschool.
Old 11-19-02, 04:38 PM

I ordered on 10/23. Got the cancellation email. I can't even find the gift set on their web site anymore. I'm fuming!

--

Dear Ms. Whitlock,

Thank you for contacting customer service at K-Mart.com.

Unfortunately, your order has been cancelled because the item you ordered is out of stock. We regret that this has caused you any inconvenience. We operate a real-time inventory system that updates the content of our website twice a day. Your order was received and processed before the site was updated to reflect the change in inventory. Unfortunately, your order could not be fulfilled. Please be assured, you were not charged for the order.

Generally, we re-stock our items within 3-6 weeks. Of course this
depends upon the manufacturer's ability to make more of the product.

Please contact us again in 3 weeks to check on the availability of the item either by calling the customer service department at 1-866-24KMART or checking the online site. I personally apologize and thank you for your patience during our call today.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you, and thanks again for contacting .

Sincerely,

Jennifer W. - Melbourne Customer Service Rep

For best service, please include this message with your reply.
Old 07-05-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Re: kmart.com's idiotic order cancellation policy

Not sure it was worth a new thread, since this is really a rant, but looking for suggestions...

Last Saturday I ordered a beverage center (compact refrigerator) from Kmart.com. They were one of the few that had it. It was a little more money than I wanted to spend, but with their free shipping weekend (some placed wanted a $100 to ship it) I ordered. Well as luck would have it I stopped at BB that afternoon. They had a compact frigerator display model that I could make work. And already $75 off, I ended up getting for close to $100 off.

I met the family for dinner that night and then first thing in the morning (next day) I get on line to cancel my Kmart order. I can't find anything to cancel. So I do that chat thing. She says I can't cancel! WTF!!! The order is still in processing. She says I can refuse the order when it shows up. Not believing her, I call the customer service #. I get the same response. She also says I can return it to my local store. Be we have no local stores! But I can't return it to Sears!

Well I had to work out of town all week and told my wife not refuse to accept it. Well it is here. Aghhh....I don't know if they delivered when know one was home and left it or what. I'm going to be pissed if I have to pay for return shipping.It will be at least $50 to ship.

I'm amazed at this day and age, you can't change a .com order from anyplace so long as it hasn't shipped....
Old 07-05-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts

Aghhh....I found this at the Kmart site...

Oversized Item Returns

We cover shipping charges on returned Oversized Items only if the item arrives at the designated shipping address defective or damaged. We do not cover shipping charges on Oversized Items that are returned due to "buyer remorse." Please note: shipping charges can be expensive for Oversized Items.

But, I may have lucked out. My wife is making a trip to San Antonio next week and it looks like there is a Kmart along the way. Hopefully she can take care if!

Last edited by Sdallnct; 07-05-09 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-05-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Now what I want to know...

Did techiedragon ever get their E.T. giftset?
Old 07-05-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Now what I want to know...

Did techiedragon ever get their E.T. giftset?
And such a long drawn out process for something that OP admitted was a price error they were trying to take advantage of.
Old 07-07-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine and was really happy with it. I think for $24.99 + tax it couldn't be beat at the time.