Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Explain Altman's Nashville please

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler:
Who the hell was the dude at the end that killed Barbara Jean (was that her name?) I saw every scene he was in, but couldn't find a connection. Did he kill her so that chick who sang at the very end could sing?

Spoiler:
How did Tom get Lily Tomlin's number? Did I miss another scene?

Spoiler:
Why was Scott Glenn's character in the film? Did he have something to do with Barbara Jean?

I found this film to have a great cast, but I just couldn't keep up with it. I usually love Altman's films. I will probably watch the film again down the road.
Old 11-18-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now, I know I am not the only one who has seen this film...
Old 11-18-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, I'll take a crack at #1. But we are relying on my memory of a film that I love but haven't seen in a long, long time.

Spoiler:

I think Kenny, the killer, was an Arthur Bremer type (the guy who stalked and then shot George Wallace). I think he had been stalking Hal Phillip Walker, the Replacement Party candidate for President, and planned to shoot him at the Tuesday rally. But I think Barbara Jean got to him with her breaking down at Opryland and her behavior at the rally and possibly some of the lyrics in her songs hit him close to home. Therefore, he ended up shooting her instead while Walker was still in his car waiting to speak.

It didn't have anything to do with trying to give Albuquerque her singing break; he could not have known that would happen and I'm sure he didn't care. Although he did talk to her earlier in the film (well, actually she did most of the talking when they were walking away from the big pileup on the freeway), they really didn't know each other. A surprise in the movie was that Albuquerque actually could sing but what happened to her was almost pure luck, although it did have something to do with the fact that she was in the right place at the right time because of her persistence.

One of the wonderful things about the film is that Altman doesn't explain everything for us. I'm sure there are other equally valid interpretations.

As for your second question I really don't remember but there's a connection through Linnea's husband Delbert (having to do with his part in putting the rally together) and I think Linnea and Tom may have met in the past.

As for the third question PFC Glenn Kelly's mother had lived next door to Barbara Jean and once saved her life. His mother loved Barbara Jean and he seemed to idolize her. He promised his mother he'd see Barbara Jean sometime during his army travels. See his little story at the 99 minute mark on the DVD (I just popped it in to find that scene; great scene BTW with Mr. Green's wife having just died but Kelly's not knowing that). Anyway, his connection with Barbara Jean was very simple and totally innocent.

This is one of my favorite films of all time and I think it's Altman's best. You've inspired me to watch it again in the near future to refresh my memory of all its rich tapestry and to see some new things I've never noticed before (that happens every time I watch it but as I said, it's been a long time; I listened to the commentary when I bought the DVD more than two years ago but I didn't watch the film again otherwise).

Edited to add:

This is a fascinating book for those who want to know more about the making of the film:

The Nashville Chronicles: The Making of Robert Altman's Masterpiece by Jan Stuart

Last edited by movielib; 11-18-02 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-19-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
movielib....I agree. It's one of my favorite films as well and I have read the book you suggested.

I believe Tom had Linnea's telephone number from a previous visit to Nashville.

I love Karen Black's bitchy Connie White.
Old 11-19-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks guys.

I will definitely have to watch the film again. (Probably more than once.)

My favorite character (if I can remember ) was Lily Tomlin's character. I loved her in this film.

From the scene with Opal in the car at the accident to the scene where Tom sings I'm Easy to "her".

She was excellent and I don't see why she couldn't have won an Oscar.
Old 11-20-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by conscience
Thanks guys.

I will definitely have to watch the film again. (Probably more than once.)

My favorite character (if I can remember ) was Lily Tomlin's character. I loved her in this film.

From the scene with Opal in the car at the accident to the scene where Tom sings I'm Easy to "her".

She was excellent and I don't see why she couldn't have won an Oscar.
Ronee Blakley was also nominated and they probably, as can happen with the Oscars, canceled each other out. I liked Lee Grant (the winner for Shampoo) but I think both Nashville gals deserved it more. I'd have given it to Blakley myself. I remember I was rooting for her at the time.
Old 02-28-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched the movie earlier tonight for the first time off of my dvr from the tcm airing last week, and i had a question.
Spoiler:
who was it that died in the middle of the movie? the scene before that had a man and a woman in bed together, and then the next shot is in a church with people mourning??
Pretty good movie, i might have to watch it again at a later date to fully get the movie, as with 24 characters to follow around for 2 and half hours, it did get a tad confusing at times, but for the most part, i could follow the movie.