Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Do you consider yourself Hardcore?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-02, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you consider yourself Hardcore?

The term "Hardcore Gamer" gets thrown around a lot, and sometimes (I think) it gets mis-used. As a whole I think a lot of people who post on these boards are Hardcore. Granted we all disagree, and people get suspended but thats just how it goes sometimes. When you have a lot of different people with different views. But thats what makes us unique, and if we all agreed on everything there would be no room for discussion, and we'd all be clones.

Well back on topic. Do you consider yourself hardcore? If so...how would you define "Hardcore" as compared to you, or simply in general.

-zero
Old 11-17-02, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I'd say I'm hardcore. Not internet fanboy hardcore though.

- I search out video game news online.

- Read and post on video game message boards.

- I enjoy games in most (if not all) genres.

- I'm oh so very close to buying an Xbox to complete the trifecta.

- Graphics are not a huge concern.

- Contra skills.
Old 11-17-02, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Yes, I'd say I'm hardcore. Not internet fanboy hardcore though.

- I'm oh so very close to buying an Xbox to complete the trifecta.

- Contra skills.
All of the above, but I completed the trifecta a couple of weeks ago and now I'm "Live", baby.

DW
Old 11-17-02, 07:35 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I own NES, SNES, Genesis, 3D0, TG-16, TG-16 express, GB, GBC, GBA, N64, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, and a Famicom. And I play all of them reguarly except the atari and famicom
Old 11-17-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I started on an atari 2600 that my dad was into and he had over 50 games for it, and then switched to a atari 7800 with about 5 newer games then igave them to a friend and went NES, SNES, N64, PSX 1, PC lan, XBOX...

I have only owned about 10 games max on each system, with the exception of the PSX which i have over 100 cd-r games and a mod chip. I sold each system as i bought the newer one, but i went "retro" and re-purchased a SNES and N64 and some of my favorite games. Now i bought an x-box and am up to 7 games, 3 are unopened, 2 have been finished.

The x-box is the first system that will probably see 20+ store bought games cause i can afford them now! but i am taking it slow, and like to finish the games first.

I wouldnt consider myself hardcore any more. I have a "real" job now and cant dedicate the same time, if i am focused i can give up about 2 hours for game play during the weekdays, but usally i average an hour.

When i was an Undergrad i was "hardcore". For hours on end, before classes, between classes, after classes, all night, all weekend, and sometimes when i should've been at class....

Freshamn year was all about SNES mario kart battle mode, and smash tv. Sophmore-Senior year was all about N64 mario kart and of course 4 player Goldeneye!

During my senior year i became addicted to FPS... I would play Quake 2, ActionQuake, Unreal Tourn on the school LAN i was all about FPS on the lan, you could here 5-7 guys yelling and screaming throughout our dorm floor
Old 11-17-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It depends, my definition of hardcore is playing every day even if only for 1-2 hours which is what I do and also being good. I'm hardcore only in the MMORPG department where I know pretty much everything that is going on. Right now I'm not playing one, but when I have one on the go (like Everquest), I will play mostly every day and work on mastering whatever class I'm playing so that I'm usefull to everyone.

Oh, I'm also hardcore at America's Army in that I log about an hour a day and am among the best, if I could play more, I'd probably be ranked top 20 or so... but bear in mind I only do 3 maps of a possible 10 or so (since most suck).
Old 11-17-02, 10:23 AM

One definition of an extreme hardcore gamer:

-buys limited editions over regular editions
-buys original package over Greatest Hits version
----hates the red/green bar of shame on the boxart
- JP voices > ENG voices
- buys import games because:
----JP 99% likely has better box art
----JP is uncensored/unedited compared to US/EU versions
----likes the niche/wierd/quirky JP titles that has no chance in US
----has extras over US/EU versions
----generally knows JP > US/EU versions 99% of the time
-keeps the white bar code sticker label found on top of case intact
-generally likes niche stuff compared to mainstream stuff like sports, action, FPS stuff; hence, hardcore gamer.
-when buying used imports, must have spine card & reg cards
-keep all discs scratchless and in perfect condition
-buys the enhanced/upgraded version of a game
-generally is up to date on industry news as to make the best purchases possible
-learn Japanese as to not miss out on tons of awesome games that will never come out here
-

Last edited by DVD Lamer; 11-17-02 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-17-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a semi-hardcore gamer.

- I used to be a big PC gamer (I'm addicted to consoles now, but may play some PC games in the future if I upgrade my PC, and if there is a game I really want to play that only comes out for the PC)

- I've completed the trifecta.

- Never got into Contra.

- I also play many non-video games.

I don't do any of this:

- JP voices > ENG voices
- buys import games because:
-generally likes niche stuff compared to mainstream stuff like sports, action, FPS stuff; hence, hardcore gamer.
-buys the enhanced/upgraded version of a game
-generally is up to date on industry news as to make the best purchases possible

I just like games.
Old 11-17-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't think I'm really hardcore anymore. I was in the mid 90's though. I had just about every system including the 3DO, Sega CDX and CD-i. Mostly I had tons of Japanese imports and I bought hundreds of games.

I have all three of the big boys now, but I rarely buy imports anymore and my game buying is very low compared to six or seven years ago. I still enjoy playing games, but its not the obsession it once was.
Old 11-17-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let me see, you make the call.

-Over 100+ Neo Geo Home AES cartridges, including rarity such as Mark of The Wolves (US), Metal Slug 3, King of Fighters (1994 to 2001), Last Blade 1/2 (US), Samurai Shodown's (01 to 04), All the Fatal Fury's, Kizuna Encounter (Japan), Twinkle Star Sprites, Pulstar, etc

-Over 50 import Saturn games (such as Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Segoku Blade), and 30 US games (including Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Shining Force 3)

-Guitar Freaks Controller, Beat Mania turntable and the Pro version for PSOne

-Notable Dreamcast Games such as Ikaruga, and Twinstick for VOOT and a set of Original Samba De Amigo Maracas (came in quite handy lastnite on my birthday party, everyone had a blast playing it!)

- Turbo Duo with Dracula X, Neo Nectaris, Y's, etc

- Many other crazy systems like Virtual Boy, Atari 2600, 5200 (with mint Track ball), 7800 (Gotta love Desert Falcon), XE, Jaguar + CD addon, 3DO (Lucienne's Quest), Supergrafx (got 3 of the 5 games released), NES with about 200+ games (some rare like Bubble Bobble 2, Dragon Warrior's), SNES, Genesis (Nomad), Sega CD (all the best games , 32x (don't ask, but Space Harrier and Afterburner are nice), various Game and Watch'es, Neo Geo Pocket, Gameboy (only a few games), Sega Game Gear, Metal Gear Solid Japanes Limited Edition, etc etc etc
Old 11-17-02, 01:21 PM

I have all 3 systems and buy any new system the day it is released. I still spend a good bit of money on games and definately consider myself a gamer just not a Hard Core gamer like some of the post I have just read.
Old 11-17-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I currently have a SNES, PS1, GC, and Xbox hooked up, but I do not consider myself hardcore. Yes I read news about video games on various websites as well as posting to various message boards. But just as bluntman I consider myself just a gamer.
Old 11-17-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hardcore???

I believe:

Harcore is to go to the arcades and beat lots of people!

Harcore is to always select the hardest degree of dificulty in a console game. (I know some people that select easy to beat a game).

Harcore is to always finish a game without the help of your friend!

I consider myself Harcore!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*sniffle* Im so very proud of you guys
Old 11-17-02, 03:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think that anybody who reads and posts regularly to this forum is more hardcore than most gamers.
Old 11-17-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I think that anybody who reads and posts regularly to this forum is more hardcore than most gamers.
Word.

I consider myself hardcore, and I think Im well deserving of that title. They asked me what systems I had at work and when I said...

NES
NES(Top Loading)
SNES (Stlyle 2)
Genesis
Saturn (US/JASP)
N64
Dreamcast(US/JAP)
GB
GBA
PSX
PS2(In the shop at the moment)
Neo Geo Pocket(currently in the care of Jackskeleton)
XBox

My boss asked me why I dont trade in all my older stuff so I can get newer games. I said "because yesterday I tried to beat Contra using only 3 men and I only got as far as the water fall". He looked dumb struck, but it was worth it. Along with the games I buy I also buy soundtracks. I look for cool promos to wear to work so I can help boost the sales of my favorite games. For example I wore my key blade from E3 2001 when Kingdom Hearts was released. And when Zelda is released I will be sporting my Link pin from E3. When we got more Kingdom Hearts games in I brought the soundtrack to work and played it on the stores sound system. Closing one night I played the Soul Calibur soundtrack, only a few people knew what it was. I even have customers who wont deal with the other people I work with but will wait for me to come in and help them out. All in all it feels great to be a gamer, but (and Im not sure if Im alone here) do you think that it was once uncool to be a gamer? Its like all of a sudden everyone is jumping on the video game bandwagon. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 11-17-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's definitely a lot more common to be an adult gamer now

I'm 20 and grew up with games so I don't think it was ever uncool, just not as popular as it is now. I do think that D&D and PC gamers definitely had a different rep than console guys did.

I lose some hardcore points since I've never been into the modding or import scene. I think that since I've been a gamer for 3/4 of my life that is worth some bonus points.

My next project after picking up an Xbox is to round out my classic collection. I still have my N64 and SNES, but need an original NES and all those consoles I never owned.

Right now is a terrific time to be a gamer. Classic games are cheap and abundant thanks to eBay. New games are cheap and abundant thanks to competition and I have the disposable income that I didn't have when I was 12 to enjoy them all!
Old 11-17-02, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by DVD Lamer
One definition of an extreme hardcore gamer:

-
The above describes a "collector", not a hardcore gamer.

DW
Old 11-17-02, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Nope. I read a lot about games, I talk a lot about games, I post a lot about games, I don't own many nor play a whole lot of games.

It's one of those - "It's more fun to talk about than to actually do." things for me. Now don't get me wrong, I love gaming, but I don't game half as much as most "gamers" seem to.

Oh and I'm extremely open-minded when it comes to games, the stranger the better. And a challenge is always good *hugs Sega, Shinobi - while not as hard as has been stated - has got me smiling.*

-Rich
Old 11-17-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd say I'm pretty hardcore but not ultra hardcore (as in playing games all day and night, don't have the time and money anymore). I'm hardcore in terms of having a real passion about gaming in general. I buy merchandise from games I really really like, I have a number of OST's, figures, and a 12 and a half vinyl hand painted model of Sephiroth! But I enjoy games because they're fun, even if sometimes they aren't perfect, I can still enjoy a game if it appeals to me.

I agree that a lot of people here are hardcore, but owning all 3 next gen systems doesn't automatically make you hardcore IMO. its hard to explain, but you can tell when someone just has something just to have it, and when someone has it because they really like it, and its pretty obvious. I'd say this forum is a good mix of hardcore and casual gamers. On other boards (not the ones filled with 10 year old flame lamers) I've partaken in real hardcore discussions about certain scenes or characters in games, discussions about endings, music, etc, it is pretty awesome.

As far as gaming being more accepted, yeah I think it is catching up to the acceptance it has in Japan even though its not quite there yet. For example i remember going to the theater awhile back and a Turok Evolution commercial came before the movie, it got a lot of giggles and laughs after it was over (even though the commercial was not supposed to be funny, this was an R rated movie too btw so most of the people were older), so there's still aways to go. I tend not to discuss gaming with some of my friends because they still think its strange, but I have other friends who love playing some 4 player SSB:M or Super Monkey Ball. There's a time and place for gaming .
Old 11-17-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
-buys limited editions over regular editions -- nope, well once.
-buys original package over Greatest Hits version -- nope, don't care
----hates the red/green bar of shame on the boxart -- Don't even know what that means.
- JP voices > ENG voices - Don't care.
- buys import games because: - Don't buy import games.
-keeps the white bar code sticker label found on top of case intact - nope.
-generally likes niche stuff compared to mainstream stuff like sports, action, FPS stuff; hence, hardcore gamer. -- I'm this way about my music and my movies, but I just like good games... FPS is my favorite genre. My tastes for everything typically vary from the norm though.
-when buying used imports, must have spine card & reg cards - I don't buy used imports.
-keep all discs scratchless and in perfect condition -- Yes I do, but that's just cuz I'm a little anal and would like to be able to play them in the future rather than have to buy them again.
-buys the enhanced/upgraded version of a game -- nope.
-generally is up to date on industry news as to make the best purchases possible -- Yeah, but that's just cuz it's interesting.
-learn Japanese as to not miss out on tons of awesome games that will never come out here -- nope.
Old 11-17-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

nope... just don't have the time to enter true geekdom.
Old 11-17-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just hardcore!
Old 11-17-02, 11:44 PM

All my credit cards are maxed out because of my game purchases...would that be hardcore?
Old 11-18-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
nope, but i love to play.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.