Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dragon's Lair 3D - A whole new game, but just as frustrating as the original

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dragon's Lair 3D - A whole new game, but just as frustrating as the original

Well, it's finally happened ... you have complete control over Dirk the Daring. He'll do what you want, when you want (sometimes) and looks better than ever. You don't die instantly in this game ... but you wil find yourself saving and reloading every 30 seconds or so. You'll find many of the challenges involve high-flying platforms and, well, the controls don't really suit those types of puzzels all that well ... but if you have a bit of patience, you can muddle through.

Dirk's got a whole new bag of powers, too .. from gliding w/ dragon's wings to health regeneration, sword spinning, and crossbow shooting. That glide made my day.

Anyway, this game is just as repetitive as the original, and it'll probably give you carpal tunnel before you finish it. You get so used to dying, you start hitting escape to reload as second nature.

But i'm still playing it ... go figure. I can't tell if I love it or hate it ... but damn it's pretty.
Old 11-17-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, thanks for the review. I've been looking forward to this game for awhile now. I can't wait to pick it up.
Old 11-17-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember playing Dragon's Lair in the arcades when it first came out... yeah instant death is right... Am interested in this title though....
Old 11-17-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It took me 2:07 to kill the Dragon, and I was getting all set to come and bitch that that was definately not 30-40 hrs of gameplay ... but then things took a surpising twist. Stay tuned.

The funny thing is, I would have swon I had played a lot more than that ... but the time counter on the saved games can't be wrong, can it? Unless it resets between deaths and only counts optimal time. Who knows.

Last edited by BigPete; 11-17-02 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-18-02, 01:55 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
This game as well as Super Don Quixote and Space Ace ate my quarters left and right back in the day
Old 11-18-02, 08:26 AM

Big Pete:

(Contains Spoilers for anyone who hasn't played Dragon's Lair 3D)

Spoiler:
I also have just beaten the dragon. I somehow accidentally hit my keyboard right as the cutscene started to play and it skipped the whole story and went straight to the fight with the impostor. The problem is that I was stupidly using only the Quicksave feature and not actually using the save slots. I found out the hard way that the game automatically saves your progress over the quicksave, so I can't go back and beat the dragon again to see the cutscene. I'd have to play the whole game through again just to see it. You wouldn't happen to have a savegame file just before the fight with the dragon, would you? If you do I'd REALLY appreciate it if you could email it to me at [email protected] . If not, could you at least tell me what the guy's story is? I have no idea who he is or why I'm fighting him...
Old 11-18-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll see what I can do when I get home tonight ... I should have a save handy since I revolve down the slots and I don't think i've saved ten times since then ... but the best you can hope for is before entering the lair 'cause it wouldn't let you save throughout that whole running section or during the dragon fight.
Old 11-18-02, 09:58 AM

I'm not a fan of the series since I didn't like how the game played. I have the game that is similar to it that takes place in a haunted house, although I can't remember the name. What I do find interesting is how this game just keeps on being remade and re-released... it seems like it never wants to leave the shelves of retailers like COMP usa.
Old 11-18-02, 04:49 PM

Got it. Thanks...I really didn't want to play through the whole game again just to see that one scene.
Old 11-18-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by vd0man
Got it. Thanks...I really didn't want to play through the whole game again just to see that one scene.
You know, I just realized the cutscene is available from the main menu in the gallery part ... most of it anyway.
Old 11-18-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Game over --- 4:18

While it lasted 8/10
Replayability 3/10

I beat it just so I wouldn't have to play it again.