Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

should i watch these dvds?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i know most of them you are thinking "how the hell hasnt he seen that?!" but bare with me. please no spoilers since i havent seen any. a yes or no (thumbs up or down) for whichever you have seen would be nice, but explaining why would be even better. im looking more into the movie itself, rather than whats on the dvd but if you want to add, go ahead. thanks.

reservoir dogs - is this like usual suspects? and whats the deal with the different covers - are some better than others?

thomas crowne affair

harry potter - is this a kids movie? never read the book either

shawshank redemption - all ive heard is how great of an ending it has (no spoilers!)

royal tenenbaums - previews dont look that funny but the cast looks great!

mib 2 - liked the first..

kiss of the dragon - is this like the one (crappy martial arts movie with no plot) because the previews made it look good

original oceans 11 - LOVED the remake

fight club

amelie - usually i wouldnt bother but i read the back of the dvd at blockbuster and for some reason it entrigues me

reindeer games

mr deeds - liked some past sandler movies

ice age - i liked toy story, shrek, monsters inc...
Old 11-16-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harry Potter: Watch it, it is entertaining with good special effects.
MIBII: Watch it, if you liked the first (although some will say it is more of the same.)
Fight Club: Watch it, it is part of the culture now (although it wasn't really my cup of tea.)
Mr. Deeds: Watch it, it was an Adam Sandler movie, fairly well done.
Ice Age: Watch it, if you liked the Pixar titles.

I haven't seen the others yet myself, although I would like to see several of them.

Last edited by littlefuzzy; 11-16-02 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-16-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: should i watch these dvds?

reservoir dogs - is this like usual suspects? and whats the deal with the different covers - are some better than others?
the covers are the different characters in the movie. if you enjoyed pulp fiction or any other movie directed by quinten tarrenteno, you will love this movie.
thomas crowne affair
no comment

yes it is a kids movie for the most part but many adults like it too, if your into magic type books or enjoyed the lord of the rings, than watch this movie
shawshank redemption - all ive heard is how great of an ending it has (no spoilers!)
great movie
its a dark comedy so it might take a few viewings to get the jokes
its watchable but not as good as #1 by a long shot
kiss of the dragon - is this like the one (crappy martial arts movie with no plot) because the previews made it look good
i believe so

go for it
fight club
never seen it but a dvdtalk favorie here
amelie - usually i wouldnt bother but i read the back of the dvd at blockbuster and for some reason it entrigues me
no comment
reindeer games
no comment (its an affleck movie so im guessing more over acting from him)
very funny movie but many people here didnt like it so tough call. if you like sandler acting like an idiot, go ahead
no comment (but im renting this one.)
Old 11-16-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
This thread is asking for comments on the quality of movies, not DVD-specific features, therefore it belongs in and I am moving it to Movie Talk.
Old 11-16-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts
Commenting only on what I've seen:

Harry Potter - For me, it was a kids film; didn't hold my attention.

Shawshank Redemption - Excellent movie.

Royal Tenenbaums - I liked it (yes, the cast is great!) but this isn't everyone's taste.

Fight Club - Excellent movie.

I'll refrain from commenting on the other movies that I haven't seen, as hard as it is
Old 11-16-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I most certainly will not 'bare' with you !...

reservoir dogs See it! - is this like usual suspects? Not at all! and whats the deal with the different covers - are some better than others? No!

thomas crowne affair See both versions!

harry potter ...ahh... well... ahh... umm...- is this a kids movie? ...one would think so... lots of elderly kids around, though... never read the book either What are you? A Philistine?

shawshank redemption See it! - all ive heard is how great of an ending it has (no spoilers!)

royal tenenbaums ...don't know... - previews dont look that funny but the cast looks great!

mib 2 ...don't know... - liked the first. So did I - very much, in fact!

kiss of the dragon ...haven't the foggiest...- is this like the one (crappy martial arts movie with no plot) because the previews made it look good

original oceans 11 ...well... - LOVED the remake In that case, I'd say watch the original as well.

fight club ...a 'must-see' in many, many, many people's opinion... not in mine, though...

amelie YES!!! - usually i wouldnt bother Why on earth not? Be brave! but i read the back of the dvd at blockbuster and for some reason it entrigues me

reindeer games ...don't know...

mr deeds ...well... ahh... - liked some past sandler movies ...in that case, watch it and also watch the original!!!...

ice age ...don't know... - i liked toy story, shrek, monsters inc...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-16-02 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-16-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Reservoir Dogs -- Excellent movie. A must see!

Thomas Crown Affair -- Never saw the original but enjoyed the remake

Harry Potter -- Not really a kids movie. I enjoyed it and I believe a lot of adults did as well.

Shawshank Redemption-- A must see for any movie fan, period.

Fight Club-- Easily in my top 5. Its not a must see but very enjoyable for many people.

Royal Tenenbaums -- If you liked Wes Andersons other works, go for it!

Amelie-- YES!!!

Mr. Deeds -- I really enjoyed this movie. One of my guilty pleasures and I don't mind admitting it. Maybe not on par with Sandlers earlier films (Happy G, Billy Madison and Wedding Singer) but much much better then Little Nicky and Waterboy.
Old 11-17-02, 12:05 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Believe it or not, I've seen all of the movies that you listed: Here is my order from best to worst,

Shawshank redemption, very moving and emtional, definitly a must see

Harry Potter, granted a kid movie, but good story and special effect

Thomas Crowne affair, almost like "the entrapment", very good action

Amelie, a well made french flim, have several deep meaning and a good movie for flim discussion

Fight club, very interesting story with a twist

ice age, a kid movie with nice story

THE REST of movies are more of C-: (don't really care for the order)

Royal Tenebaums, very slow developing story plot

Reservoir dogs, very close like plup fiction, just didn't do it for me

MIB 2, just like the first one with developing story

Kiss of the dragon, good Jet Lee action sequecies but with no good plot

Reindeer games, good action, ok story

Mr. Deeds, I like the original movie better.....
Old 11-17-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

reservoir dogs - very good indie film that's a precursor to (the better) Pulp Fiction; recommended (but don't go in expecting a Usual Suspects type twist)

thomas crowne affair - enjoyable, but somewhat by the numbers heist/thiller; somewhat recommened

harry potter - very good fantasy film for both kids and adults, pretty loyal to the book at the expence of some "soul", for lack of a better word; recommended

shawshank redemption - great film; recommended

royal tenenbaums - hmmm, I loved it, but can be hit or miss. How'd you feel about Rushmore? Both get better on repeat viewings

original oceans 11 - slower than the remake, somewhat average heist flick. Noteable only for the cast and the ending.

fight club - didn't care for it the first time I saw it, but got better on further viewings

amelie - YES! The only reason I wouldn't recommend this film to someone was if I knew they HATED subtitles (and I'd still try to talk them into seeing it somehow).

ice age - haven't seen but I'm curious- it's a likely blind buy for me.

Haven't seen (and don't have much desire to see):
mib 2
kiss of the dragon
reindeer games
mr deeds

Last edited by Tscott; 11-17-02 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 12:46 AM

Haven't seen:

-Harry Potter
-Amalie
-Ice Age
-Ocean's Eleven

Don't watch:

-MIB 2
-Reindeer Games
-Mr. Deeds

Watch:

-Royal Tenebaums
-Thomas Crowne Affair
-Kiss of the Dragon

Watch tonight:

-Fight Club
-Reservoir Dogs
-The Shawshank redemption
Old 11-17-02, 01:06 AM

I haven't seen all the movies in your list, so I can only give partial recommendations.

Must see movies:
Shawshank Redemption
Amelie

Recommended so watch when you have a chance:
Fight Club
Royal Tenenbaum
Harry Potter

Watch when you have nothing else to do:
Reindeer Games

Last edited by mookiemeister; 11-17-02 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 01:12 AM

Good movie, nothing like the Usual Suspects. Don't worry abou the covers, same contents

thomas crowne affair

Never saw it

I didn't enjoy the movie one bit. I didn't actively dislike it, but it was the most boring movie i've seen in the theaters in a long time

Good movie, a bit sappy

It's got its own sense of humour....i liked it

I liked the first...the second was very, very bad.

Didn't like this one, but then i've never liked a Jet-Li movie

From what i've heard it's nothing like the remake what-so-ever

fight club

I didn't like it

Great movie

reindeer games

I don't even think i got 15 minutes into this one before i turned it off, really awful

ice age - i liked toy story, shrek, monsters inc

Haven't seen any of these
Old 11-17-02, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

reservoir dogs - disturbing and violent, an early pre-Pulp Fiction Tarantino outing. There is definitely one scene in this film that you will never forget. See it if you are not too squeamish.

thomas crowne affair - an above-average heist film. Definitely worth the rental.

shawshank redemption - this is a must see, period.

mib 2 - rental.

fight club - this is also a must see, but you will probably either love it or hate it. The first 2/3 are simply remarkable filmmaking, however and you will almost certainly think about this one for some time after you watch it.

amelie - word on this one is very strong. Hasn't made it into my player yet, however.

reindeer games - pass.
Old 11-17-02, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

reservoir dogs - watch it

shawshank redemption - I thought this was a very good movie.

mib 2 - if you liked the first the second is more of the same so I would watch it.

original oceans 11 - LOVED the remake- why not it was a good movie although I actually liked the remake better.

fight club-YES!!

ice age - not as sure about this one although it sounds like you might like it also.
Old 11-17-02, 07:12 AM
Banned

This is what i have seen.
Thomas Crown Affair.It's worth a rental very good film.Some good acting by Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo.It's worth your time.

Harry Potter.Stay away from this.It's a piece of junk.It is extremely dull and boring.And some pretty bad special effects.

Shawshank Redemption.I recommend that you buy this dvd.Truly great film with great performances by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins.This is a must see.And yes the ending is great.

Royal Tenenbaums.Well your right the previews don't look that funny and it isn't.Does it have a great cast? Absolutely.Is it worth watching?Hell no! Please do not watch this just because it has a great cast.Believe me that's why i watched it and i wasted 2hrs of my life.Truly bad film with terrible cinematography.

Fight Club.I'm sorry but words cannot describe how good this one is.Buy the dvd now!

Amelie.BORING!This movie's terrible. Extremely dull with a lame plot,bad characters basically all the ingredients to make a bad movie.This junks overatted.

Reindeer Games.It's okay.I don't know if it's worth a rental,but if they show it on tv watch it.
Old 11-17-02, 07:55 AM

Reservoir Dogs, Royal Tenenbaums, Fight Club, and Amelie are all great. Haven't seen Shawshank yet (though I own it), so I can't comment on it.

I think Kiss of the Dragon is worth a rental, if you're in the mood for a brainless action movie. It's fun, and definitely better than The One.

Last edited by areacode212; 11-17-02 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie, so yeah, watch it.
Old 11-17-02, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by k-qwick
Royal Tenenbaums. [...] Truly bad film with terrible cinematography.
I'm afraid that this sentence gives your opinions, shall we say, slightly less than zero weight.
Amelie. [...] This junks overatted.
Yeah!
Old 11-17-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Of the films in your list, these are absolutely must owns:

Reservoir Dogs
The Shawshank Redemption
The Royal Tenenbaums
Fight Club
Amelie

The ones I have no desire to see and don't feel like I'm missing anything by not seeing:

The Thomas Crowne Affair
Kiss of the Dragon
original Ocean's 11
Reindeer Games
Mr. Deeds

The rest are decent but not praiseworthy, though I do or will own them:

Harry Potter
Men in Black II
Ice Age
Old 11-17-02, 03:14 PM

Re: Re: should i watch these dvds?

Excellent movie. I prefer it to The Usual Suspects, which it is nothing like.

thomas crowne affair

I was never crazy about the original, and I am a Steve McQueen fan. I think maybe Faye Dunaway's yellowed, bucked teeth distracted me. (I'm only being partly serious). The new one is sort of by-the-numbers as far as story, but I liked the performances and I really liked John McTiernan's direction.

If you haven't read the book, avoid the movie. Yes, it is a kids movie. It is also poorly adapted, so that adult fans of the books won't enjoy it much. Kids will love it though, whether they've read the books or not. Adults who've not read the books will be shaking their heads saying "Why would any sane adult read these books?". Do not see it.

This is a pretty good movie. I'm not sure I'd rank it as high as the thousands of voters at the imdb have, but it is still one that I've chosen to watch several times.

I was deeply disappointed with this movie. Enjoy that "great" cast in the other movies they've done, if the preview doesn't seem funny to you. I mean, there is no shortage of great GHene Hackman movies for example. I didn't like how this film came together at all. If you have never seen Rushmore, you might be amused by some of it though.

I enjoyed the first one... as a popcorn flick in the theater, with a crew of friends, in the summer, the *first* time I saw it. It doesn't really hold up to repeated viewings at home. I took my 10 year old sister to see the second one when we had an afternoon to kill, and even she was bored and annoyed by it. It is terrible.

I hate Jet Li, but for some readon I've had to sit through a bunch of his movies (certain friends like him). Luckily, nobody liked this movie, so nobody has thrust me into a situation where I feel obligated to watch it.

Then stick with the remake.

fight club

This is a moderately successful film, made better if you haven't read the book. It is also made better if you can avoid ever talking about it, to anyone. The hype, and the widespread popular opinions of this film among its core home audience of teenaged boys, will sour the experience (or at least color it inappropriately). I've enjoyed watching it several times, but I don't understand the hysterical accolades that are heaped on it- most of them are IMO misguided.

What about the description intrigues you? I was really looking forward to this one, and I enjoyed it, but I haven't yet been interested in seeing it a second time. I can't say the same about some of the filmmakers' other works. The City of Lost Children is one of my all-time favorites. I think I was *entertained* by Amelie, but the characters didn't really move me much. Definitely worth seeing once though. Good fun.

reindeer games

Definitely not as bad as some make it out to be, but still pretty lame. Fun for renting with a buddy, ordering qa pizza, and laughing at.Qualitatively somewhere in between a straight-to-video Van Damme flick and a "better" summer popcorn flick like maybe The Rock.

The only Sandler film I've ever wanted to own was The Wedding Singer, I've pretty much hated the rest or found them worthless at best. Oh, wait... Happy Gilmore has a few funny moments. This one got such terrible reviews, and I think even die-hard Sandlerites were let down and disappointed. Could be wrong about that though.

Haven't seen this yet. My friend who worked on Ice Age ranks some recent animated films like this:

1) Toy Story 2 & (tie) The Iron Giant
2) Toy Story & (tie) A Bug's Life
3) Ice Age & (tie) Monsters Inc.
4-10) Other good/decent stuff, maybe some Anime
11-50) Mediocre stuff, some Disney
51) Antz
52-99) Crap.
100) Shrek

This is similar to my ranking, except that I haven't seen Ice Age... but I trust his opinion.

Last edited by Five Cent Deposit; 11-17-02 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-17-02, 10:41 PM

Out of all of those the only ones worth watching are fight club and res dogs
Old 11-18-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by k-qwick
Royal Tenenbaums.Truly bad film with terrible cinematography.
I'll bite. Can you please tell me how the cinematography is especially "terrible"?

Last edited by Matt925; 11-18-02 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-18-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

reservoir dogs - is this like usual suspects? Nope and whats the deal with the different covers - are some better than others? Well, Mr. Blonde rules, but the movies the same on all. SEE IT

thomas crowne affair. I can take or leave.

harry potter - is this a kids movie? never read the book either. Kind of a kids movie, I enjoyed, and would recommended it.

shawshank redemption - all ive heard is how great of an ending it has (no spoilers!) The whole movies good, not just the ending. See it.

royal tenenbaums - previews dont look that funny but the cast looks great! My favorite on this list, not for everyone, but check it out.

mib 2 - liked the first.. Didn't see.

kiss of the dragon - is this like the one (crappy martial arts movie with no plot) because the previews made it look good. Didn't see.

original oceans 11 - LOVED the remake. Haven't seen it.

fight club Or maybe this is my favorite on the list. SEE IT

amelie - usually i wouldnt bother but i read the back of the dvd at blockbuster and for some reason it entrigues me. It's goofy, but I liked it. If it intriques you, might as well see it.

reindeer games -- haven't seen.

mr deeds - liked some past sandler movies--haven't seen

ice age - i liked toy story, shrek, monsters inc... I liked all those others, too, but found this one a bit dull, still worth seeing, but not quite as good as the others you mentioned.
Old 11-18-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Flms from your list that I have seen, ranked best to worst...

shawshank redemption >

royal tenenbaums >

reservoir dogs >

thomas crowne affair >

fight club >

harry potter >

reindeer games >
Old 11-18-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by atari2600

fight club
Damn. These are two of my favorite movies ever. SEEE THEM NOW!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.