DVD Talk
best drummer? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : best drummer?

Rypro 525
11-16-02, 08:28 PM
i think its the guy from van hallen (listen to hot for teacher for my reason)
and also what is your criteria for a good drumer.

Rogue588
11-16-02, 08:50 PM
You mean Alex Van Halen??

Yes he's good. When I saw Motley Crue [way back when] Tommy Lee was very impressive. Especially during his solo when his kit rose up & flipped around.

I also like Michael Bland [drummed for Prince's NPG] & ?uestlove [drummer for the Roots].

As far as drummers who are good that look good...that title goes to Sheila E. & Cindy Blackmon [Lenny Kravitz' drummer]. Although now that I think about it, Sheila's more of a percussionist. [Except when she was in Prince's band]

MJKTool
11-16-02, 10:37 PM
No one can touch Danny Carey from Tool IMO. Download one of their live video boots of the song Triad and you will know why.

Neil Peart from Rush is also an amazing drummer.

Jepthah
11-16-02, 10:59 PM
Christian Vander of MAGMA.

One listen to "Kohntarkosz" would make 99% of rock drummers crap their pants and cry like bitches. The man is sick. He plays like a multi-limbed Hindu deity on PCP (jazz trained).

edclem
11-16-02, 11:05 PM
it totally depends on the style of music. some drummers are better than others at certain aspects of playing.

My favorites, though:

Danny Carey: Tool
Mike Portnoy: Dream Theater
Mark Zonder: Fates Warning
Neil Peart: Rush

Terry Bozzio: Independent Fusion
Dave Weckl: Independent Jazz
Steve Gadd: jazz

Lateralus
11-17-02, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by edclem
it totally depends on the style of music. some drummers are better than others at certain aspects of playing.

:up: Well said.

Buddy Rich: Jazz
Neil Peart : Rock
Bill Bruford: Rock

Penny Lane
11-17-02, 01:11 AM
Glenn Kotche - Wilco
This guy is an innovative genius. He has done wonders for the style and quality of Wilco songs.

jarsim
11-17-02, 01:27 AM
Glenn Kotche does rock. I met him after a show and
he's very down-to-earth and personable as with the
rest of Wilco. No matter what anyone says about
Jeff Tweedy . . .

Thrush
11-17-02, 02:00 AM
Of the guys currently playing:

Carter beauford- far too good a drummer to be in the DMB
Danny Carey

G-Rex
11-17-02, 04:04 AM
Danny Carey - TOOL

Honorable mentions:

Chad Sexton - 311
Jimmy Chamberlin - Smashing Pumpkins
Dave Grohl - Nirvana/Foo Fighters/Queens of the Stone Age

There's been a lot of great drummers over the years, like Buddy Rich. These are just a few of my favorites. I've never been a big fan of Neil Peart or Carter Beauford. While technically very skilled, I always thought their drumming lacked emotion......something Danny Carey is very good at. Of the drummers playing right now, I don't think anybody can touch him. If you've seen TOOL play live, you know what I mean!

Ginwen
11-17-02, 04:35 AM
DJ Bonebrake from X is my favorite drummer ever.

Dubya
11-17-02, 09:05 AM
Keith Moon - best of all time (at least imho)

Stewart Copeland

Dave Grohl

woofman
11-17-02, 09:26 AM
While who I think is "best" is obviously subjective, here's some of my favorites.

1. Dave Lombardo (SLAYER)-Set the standard for double bass drumming in the eighties. Continues to innovate with other projects, including bands with Mike Patton.

2. Jimmy Chamberlain (SP) Great style and really adds to the music.

3. Sean Reinert- Has drummed for various prog-metal bands (Cynic) (Aghora) and has a technical style like no other.

Other notables include drummers for bands like. Tool, Snot, 311, Rush, various jazz ensembles, etc...

shanester
11-17-02, 09:47 AM
what about John Mellencamp's former drummer:

Kenny Aronoff!!..He was one of the best who never gets mentioned..Listen to those records closely the man could play any style of music

He's definitley up there with Stewart Copeland,Neal Peart, Phil Collins and Jeff Porcaro of Toto (b4 he passed away)

Honourbale mentions to Rick Allen of Def Leppard (especially considering he has one arm)

PS..Tommy Lee is an average drummer at best

shanester
11-17-02, 09:49 AM
..Forget to mention John Bonham

One of the all time greats also!!

audiofool
11-17-02, 09:53 AM
Ringo

shanester
11-17-02, 10:03 AM
yes Ringo gets forgotten for obvious reasons but he got better as the Beatles music evolved

Amadeus
11-17-02, 12:19 PM
Peter Criss-Kiss
I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet.:eek:

KnightLerxst
11-17-02, 12:50 PM
Neil Peart
Stewart Copeland
Keith Moon

B5Erik
11-17-02, 12:54 PM
Peter Criss rotfl

I'm a KISS fan, but I'll be the first to tell you that he sucks.

The topic of "best" drummer is always dicey, because style plays such a big part in it, and because it's almost totally subjective, but having said that here's my list:

Best of all time, any genre: Buddy Rich.
I had the opportunity to see him play live 4 or 5 times, and he was just unbelievable. He actually peaked as a drummer around age 63. He kept getting better and better as time went by, at least until a heart attack around age 64 diminished his skills somewhat - but even then he was still above average.

My other favorites:

Eric Singer (Alice Cooper, KISS, Black Sabbath, Badlands, etc) - a great combination of style and technique. He's actually very versatile, and even won drumming competitions for his JAZZ drumming as a teenager.

Tommy Aldridge (Ozzy Osbourne, Pat Travers, Whitesnake, etc) - an amazing drummer. Very flashy, but his playing fit in well with all of the bands/artists who have hired him.

Neil Peart - 'nuff said.

David Alford (Rough Cutt) - someone that most people haven't heard of, but his technique was/is so good, and his style so good that I almost always list him. With David it's the little/subtle things that he adds to his playing - very different from most Hard Rock and Metal drummers.

Those are just a few....

Andalusia
11-17-02, 02:36 PM
Keith Moon owns this thread.

Pillowhead
11-17-02, 02:46 PM
John Bonham (Hands down)
Keith Moon (extremely close)
Brad Wilk (formerly of Rage Against the Machine)
Dave Grohl
Matt Cameron (ex soundgarden now with Pearl Jam)
Danny Carey
Ginger Baker (Cream)

Most hated drummers

Peter Criss
Neal Peart (I hate hate hate this band)

fallow
11-17-02, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Andalusia
Keith Moon owns this thread.

Yeah, I think this thread can be closed now.

...Even though I do like Aidan from GSYBE!

RevLiver
11-17-02, 07:23 PM
Danny Carey
Neil Peart
John Bonham
Andy Kubiszewski (ex Stabbing Westward)
Hamid Drake (NYC based free jazz drummer)
Keith Moon
Dave Grohl

I think prog rock, prog metal and improv jazz drummers have an advantage in this area because the music itself is so complicated at times. Of course, being able to play the music is what puts them on the list.

Ralph Wiggum
11-17-02, 08:29 PM
Philly Jo Jones.

Xanager
11-17-02, 10:16 PM
If you are saying the best of all time, most would say Buddy Rich. But you can't really argue a case of former vs. present. Like Tiger Woods vs. Jack Nicholas, there can be loads of speculation, but it's all opinionated.

Neil Peart has changed a bunch over the years imho. More of the early stuff he really rams some notes and shows his chops off. Over the years he seems to have become much more musical with his playing and less full throttle all the time. Although he still kicks it some times. I think his change has definitely been for the better. So yeah, he's one of the best.

Danny Carey can flat out play, along w/ Portnoy, Beauford, etc.
I also like Weckl and Bozzio.

Mafia81RCV
11-17-02, 11:01 PM
John Bonham was amazing. I've never heard better drumming than in Nobody's Fault But Mine.

Mitch Mitchell was the main drummer for Jimi Hendrix and faded away after Jimi's death, but his live performances were incredible (check out Jimi's Woodstock recordings for proof).

Gene Kroupa also deserves mention. He was Benny Goodman's drummer. You know him from the really long drum solos during Goodman's Sing, Sing, Sing.

B.A.
11-17-02, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by G-Rex

Jimmy Chamberlin - Smashing Pumpkins

I have to admit that hands down, Jimmy Chamberlain is one of the most overlooked drummers ever! He has to be the greatest drummer, well at least one of them, that I have ever seen live or heard live sets from. His playing is truly amazing.

Weren't Moon and Bonham known for how they beat the hell out of their kits more than for their all-around play? I like their playing, particularly Bonham's, but many people I know have argued for years that those two are really overrated.

custom001
11-18-02, 08:27 AM
Joey Jordison - Slipknot

He's only 5 ft. tall but still blows anybody else away ;)

mkdevo
11-18-02, 09:11 AM
Terry Bozzio
Carter Beauford
Chad Smith
Dennis Chambers
Dave Weckl
Jon Fishman
Jimmy Chamberlin
Billy Martin

DJLinus
11-18-02, 09:26 AM
I'm partial to ?uestlove (of the Roots) and Jeff Clemens (of G. Love and Special Sauce) myself.

cdollaz
11-18-02, 09:30 AM
Regardless of what we may think of his music, Phil Collins is a very good drummer.

Gdrlv
11-18-02, 01:29 PM
Stanton Moore (Galactic) is hands down my favorite drummer. Galactic's the only band I've ever seen where I've spent more time watching the drummer than any other member of the band.

Runners-up:
?uestlove (the Roots)
Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters/Nirvana)
Jon Fishman (Phish)
Stewart Copeland (the Police)

Yancey
11-18-02, 01:36 PM
The best drummer currently is Hella's Zach Hill. I've never seen anyone play as fast as him. It was just unbelievable.

boc4ever
11-18-02, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by woofman
While who I think is "best" is obviously subjective, here's some of my favorites.

1. Dave Lombardo (SLAYER)-Set the standard for double bass drumming in the eighties. Continues to innovate with other projects, including bands with Mike Patton.

Dave Lombardo is the greatest in my mind. You truly can't appreciate what he can do unless you've seen him live. I saw him on the Reign in Blood tour back in 1986, and I'll never forget it.

anglagard
11-18-02, 04:26 PM
1. Neil Peart
2. Bill Bruford
3. Keith Moon
4. Simon Phillips
5. Billy Cobham

Most unknown great drummer:
Furio Chirico

I doubt anyone hear has heard Furio. He played in a rather obscure '70s Italian prog/fusion band called Arti + Mestieri. I'm tellin' ya guys...in terms of being a fast, busy drummer, the only guy who can match Furio is Peart. You would swear this Italian dude has 6 arms. Many hardcore progheads think this guy IS better than Peart.

slop101
11-18-02, 06:07 PM
Even Neil Peart has said that John Bonham is the greatest rock&roll drummer to have ever picked up sticks.

Bonham, for better or worse, has influenced more drummers than most other drummers put together.

GuessWho
11-18-02, 06:19 PM
Rick Allen deserves a mention.

raithen
11-18-02, 06:23 PM
John Bonham. 'Nuff said.

-matt

MJKTool
11-18-02, 06:31 PM
Eric Carr
Josh Freese

deserve a mention as well.

joshd2012
11-18-02, 06:39 PM
John Bonham - best ever

Animal (Muppets) - close second

Rogue588
11-18-02, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by joshd2012
Animal (Muppets) - close second Man, I knew I forgot someone...:lol:

G-Rex
11-18-02, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by joshd2012
Animal (Muppets) - close second

It's been said that Animal was supposed to be a muppet version of Keith Moon.
Just a little trivia for ya'. ;)

swamptours
11-19-02, 10:09 AM
My favorite is one of the most underrated drummers: Charlie Watts. It seems like he can play anything. Also, Neil Peart, Stewart Copeland (also underrated), Chris Mars, Bill Bruford, Alan White, Steve Shelley, Elvin Jones (just fantastic), Keith Moon and John Bonham.

There are so many great ones to pick from.

Andalusia
11-19-02, 10:51 AM
I'll second the nod for Charlie Watts. The man can swing, and is definitely overlooked...

Crazy Aoshi
11-19-02, 11:51 AM
Good to see lots of people agree it's Neil Peart. I got his instructional video, though I'm not a drummer, I really like his drumming and I was very interested in what he had to say. Plus, Rush related DVDs are few and far between.

Mike Portnoy is also up there, but I still think Neil is better...his solos are amazing, I would buy an album of just Neil Peart drumming.

wingfan
11-19-02, 09:46 PM
When I was a drummer in a rock band, 25 years, 65 lbs. ago; and when I had hair, here was and is my top five:
Bonzo for sure, Ginger Baker, Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford and even though Grand Funk were not my favorite (those endings), Don Brewer. You have to admire Bonzo, Palmer, Baker , and Brewer; to carry two other musicians yourself is where they standout.

Giantrobo
11-19-02, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by B5Erik
Peter Criss rotfl

I'm a KISS fan, but I'll be the first to tell you that he sucks.

No kidding! Peter is lame compared to most modern drummers. His "solo" during KISS shows is embarrassing

bardevious
11-20-02, 12:32 PM
Dudes!

Matt Cameron- hello! Soundgarden, and now Pearl Jam?

The guy from Faith No More was/is pretty wicked on the sticks.

Charlie Watts is superlative- smooth, sly, the soul of a jazzman in the guise of a rock star.

Stewart Copeland was also pretty wicked- talk about your complicated tempos! This guy wormed his way through the song, over and around the beat, not just a mere time-keeper, but managing to keep time while at the same time throwing it to the ground and stomping on it.

devilpants
11-20-02, 02:14 PM
I always thought Clem Burke from Blondie was pretty underrated.

As jazz guys go I think Roy Haynes, Tony Williams and Jack DeJohnette were killers, too.

gilbertr76
11-20-02, 03:34 PM
Got to see Danny Carey play last night, and the guy is simply amazing. As with any other great drummer, you can't truly appreciate his talent until you see him play live.

MJKTool
11-20-02, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by gilbertr76
Got to see Danny Carey play last night, and the guy is simply amazing. As with any other great drummer, you can't truly appreciate his talent until you see him play live.

Yep! The first time I saw him play Triad was absolutely amazing. Get to see him again tommorow and Sunday!! :D:D

gilbertr76
11-20-02, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by MJKTool
Yep! The first time I saw him play Triad was absolutely amazing. Get to see him again tommorow and Sunday!! :D:D
If you've got an extra ticket and are willing to pay airfare, I'll go with you to one of those shows.

:D

MJKTool
11-20-02, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by gilbertr76
If you've got an extra ticket and are willing to pay airfare, I'll go with you to one of those shows.

I dont know about that! :D But I WILL be sure to wave to you in the camera when they tape these shows and release them on dvd. :D

devilpants
11-20-02, 05:31 PM
Did anybody mention John Densmore from the Doors?
Not a showoff but a very sophisticated player, striking an excellent balance between rock and jazz drum styles.

heimerSWT
11-21-02, 04:51 AM
Danny Carey

And the dude from The Roots

subbacultcha
11-21-02, 11:09 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah.....Peart schmeart.

Jimmy Chamberlain & Stephen Perkins are by far the most under-appreciated.
You try to throw your jazz knowledge in and you forget...

ART BLAKEY IS DRUM!!!!!!!!!!

devilpants
11-21-02, 01:52 PM
Art Blakey is fine if you like overkill on cymbals. I mean, really, leave those cymbals alone so I can hear some drumming.

Rypro 525
11-21-02, 03:20 PM
lars ulrich (pre black album)

Luddy
11-22-02, 03:36 PM
My favorite: Igor Cavalera

I also like Derrick Plourde from Lagwagon.

MJKTool
11-22-02, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Rypro 525
lars ulrich (pre black album)

Really? I think his double bass fools alot of people. If you listen he plays the same beat non stop, no variety at all.

Yosh70
11-25-02, 01:15 AM
Zak Starky is quite the accomplished drummer....check out "The Who: Live at Royal Albert Hall" for a good show.
Ringo must be very proud :)

mkempton
11-26-02, 01:26 AM
I think live drumming makes a bigger impression, so it's hard to say when I've only seen a relative handful live.

Also, everyone's music demands different styles. So there can't be a "best" drummer.

That said, I think Bonzo laid down the baddest groove. I prefer guys who know when not to play as much as when to play, and Bonham was so great (and I'm not a huge LZ fan). Moon impresses in this way, as does Phil Collins when he's trying to lay out a groove (and not ride Cyndi Lauper's coattails!). Copeland is fantastic, too.

Technique/speed: Buddy Rich's machine gun rolls still give me goose bumps. Danny Carey (just started listening to TooL when they toured with Crimson) is impressive, too. Peart is obviously technically skilled beyond belief. Oh, Simon Phillips was always impressive.

Last personal fave is Bill Bruford for, well, just because I like a LOT of things he's played.

awl22
12-01-02, 03:19 PM
Here's some incredible drummers no one has mentioned....

Gene Hoglan - Death (check out Individual Thought Patterns), Strapping Young Lad, Dark Angel + a ton of studio projects...

Nick Barker - Dimmu Borgir (listen to Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia to see what he's capable of), Cradle Of Filth, Lock Up

Ken Schalk - Candiria - He cand pretty much do it all, and do it well. The first time I saw the band practicing, we used to use the same studio, I was totally blown away by his skills. He can go from blast beats to jazz without a hiccup. The only thing that I don't particularly like is some of the rap stuff they go into.

woofman
12-01-02, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by awl22
Here's some incredible drummers no one has mentioned....

Gene Hoglan - Death (check out Individual Thought Patterns), Strapping Young Lad, Dark Angel + a ton of studio projects...

Nick Barker - Dimmu Borgir (listen to Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia to see what he's capable of), Cradle Of Filth, Lock Up

Ken Schalk - Candiria - He cand pretty much do it all, and do it well. The first time I saw the band practicing, we used to use the same studio, I was totally blown away by his skills. He can go from blast beats to jazz without a hiccup. The only thing that I don't particularly like is some of the rap stuff they go into.

Agreed! I saw Gene Hoglan live when he toured with Death on that album and he was great, Candiria as well, a truly gifted drummer.

boc4ever
12-02-02, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by woofman
Agreed! I saw Gene Hoglan live when he toured with Death on that album and he was great, Candiria as well, a truly gifted drummer.

Wow, I haven't thought about Dark Angel in a long time. I think I'll have to break out my "We Have Arrived" LP...

gerrythedon
12-02-02, 07:54 PM
DAVE GROHL #1, Then TOMMY LEE...

KevinSmithIsGod
12-02-02, 09:11 PM
My Fav. drummers of all time ...

Tommy Lee
Neil Peart
Mike Portnoy

most overrated..
Dave Grohl
Bonham

benedict
12-03-02, 01:51 PM
This thread called for the <i>best drummer</i> and achieved many and varied responses.

However, negativity is starting to set in so, before it becomes overwhelming, I am going to close it.

PS: no-one mentioned Bill Ward, who I believe those in the know say is in the Bonham mode.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0