Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Nowhere Man" - NE1 remeber it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-02, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Nowhere Man" - NE1 remember it?

This was a fantastic series from 1995 that lasted 25 episodes and aired on UPN. The Sci-Fi channel played it a few times in the years following but it has since disappeared. It starred Bruce Greenwood as Tom Veil, Photographer who has his identity erased and goes on a search for the "conspiracy" responsible for his erasure and the reasons why they want him to give up his negative of the photo "Hidden Agenda".

This was the best TV show I ever saw and I was upset when it was cancelled. No other show had the impact this one had. It was truly gripping and intelligent television (rare these days) I am now wondering if there are others out there that miss it and remember it.

It was heavily inspired by 'The Prisoner' from the 60's

Would love to hear from others who loved it and remember it.

- todd

Last edited by realeyz; 11-16-02 at 07:02 AM.
Old 11-16-02, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked that show and was sad when they cancelled it, especially since we never found out what was going on really.
Old 11-16-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not entirely sure why but every time I watch John Doe I think of how much better Nowhere Man was.

Another show I liked from the same season was Strange Luck (on Fox) with D. B. Sweeney. It played 17 episodes and also didn't make it to a second season.
Old 11-16-02, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by movielib
I'm not entirely sure why but every time I watch John Doe I think of how much better Nowhere Man was.
Yup exactly - this last episode of John Doe was amazingly like Nowhere Man. It was like Deja Vu!! Very cool.

Supposedly Nowhere Man is being put on DVD soon. One can hope!!

- todd
Old 11-16-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was a superb show. Bruce Greenwood is a really, really underrated actor. Part of it's problem was that it got dismissed by ignorant and/or lazy TV critics as an X-Files clone. (The same thing happened to the interesting ABC series Prey a few years later.)

You guys must have missed the last episode. They wrapped it up nice and tight, because they knew they were going to be canceled.
Old 11-16-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
That was a superb show. Bruce Greenwood is a really, really underrated actor...
Bruce Greenwood has been particularly excellent in the Atom Egoyan films, Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter. He can really immerse himself in a part and he has a very wide range.

Last edited by movielib; 11-16-02 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-16-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was definitely the highest quality, cinematic show on network TV at that time. I was also stoked that much of it was filmed in Portland!
Bummer its life was so short.
Old 11-17-02, 07:50 AM

Nowhere man was a great show I never missed an episode and I agree with an earlier poster that it was like the prisoner in some respects and the viewer who watched this show didn't know what was going to happen next and it's a crying shame that this show had a short life but since this show aired on UPN you kind of expected it was going to get cancelled.
Old 11-17-02, 03:48 PM

Well actually the shows creator, Larry Hertzog has stated in many interviews that he was heavily inspired by the Prisoner when he wrote Nowhere Man.
Old 11-19-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That show was fantastic! Totally gripping through the whole season.

I would soooooo jump on a DVD boxset!
Old 11-19-02, 12:37 PM

I really got into the series about half way through. Unfortunately I only got to the part near the end where he discovered about "gemini", I think. So how did it end? Or how did they wrap it up?
Old 11-19-02, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw last Fridays episode of John Doe last night, and as I was watching it I thought, "boy this really reminds me of Nowhere Man", which was a really good, intelligent and different show and that is why it was cancelled.

On an interesting sidenote for those of you who live in Los Angeles and listen to Kevin & Bean on KROQ, back in 1995 Jimmy the Sports Guy (Jimmy Kimmel of Fox football, The Man Show, Win Ben Steins Money and his new show on ABC next year) made up the word 'jackhole'. It sounded dirty and obscene, but it was perfectly innocent, since he had made it up. Well Larry Hertzog, the creator of Nowhere Man had heard that phrase and he decided to put it in one of the episodes, where if my memory serves me correct, a young boy calls Tom Veil a 'jackhole'. Just a bit of interesting trivia for you.

Chris
Old 11-19-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by iawiaw
I really got into the series about half way through. Unfortunately I only got to the part near the end where he discovered about "gemini", I think. So how did it end? Or how did they wrap it up?
http://www.nowhereman.org/frepisode.htm

Click on "25. Gemini."

Last edited by movielib; 11-19-02 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-19-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah i remember this show as its one of my all time favorites. I have it all on one cd which i watvh on my comp once and a while. Excellent show. That 9 PM EST time slot is the time of death on UPN. nowehre man, Sentinel, 7 days, the show from last year which i cant remember and now Twilight Zone

P.S. I will be picking up the dvd set. Id love to have it

capt

Last edited by CaptDS9E; 11-19-02 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-20-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and I watched the show every Monday night together. And we both felt wierd (in a cool kinda way) after every show. It really had great writing, it would get you very frustrated not knowing what was going on.

At the end the show was about seeing how far mind control could go. Most of his memories were not real at all, they were placed in his head. He was the experiment. So, I believe most of the show was people watching him to see what he was going to believe what real and what was not.

I was always hoping for a TV movie to tie up the loose ends, but it never came.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 11-20-02 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-20-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They should put out the DVD set and then a TV movie to wrap up the show. It would be a big hit in both DVD and as a TV movie.
Old 11-20-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.nowhereman.org/frepisode.htm

Click on "25. Gemini."

THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is what you call a detailed synopsis. I remember really being pleased that they had a chance to offer a real ending and sorry that people were off watching all the tripe they were watching to damn this show to such a limited life.
Old 11-20-02, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys must have missed the last episode. They wrapped it up nice and tight, because they knew they were going to be canceled.
I guess I did, glad to hear they did wrap it up. Hopefully now they will release it on DVD
Old 11-21-02, 04:00 PM

Well if you are interestd in where Nowhere Man stands today, there is a Yahoo group with over 100 members as well as a newsgroup that is fairly active. The Yahoo groups has been buzzing lately with some very interesting discussions. You can also get details on the DVDs and related topics.

- todd
Old 11-21-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is only quasi-related, but take a page from movielib's book and rent Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter (and on my recommendation, Thirteen Days), and see just how good Mr. Greenwood can be.
Old 11-21-02, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
This is only quasi-related, but take a page from movielib's book and rent Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter (and on my recommendation, Thirteen Days), and see just how good Mr. Greenwood can be.
Yes, thanks. I agree with Thirteen Days too but I don't like that movie very much.

Just don't judge him by Double Jeopardy.
Old 11-21-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved this show too. I found it very compelling and as a current watcher of John Doe, this last ep also reminded me of that show. Is there a release date for DVD's? That would be cool.
Old 11-21-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, thanks. I agree with Thirteen Days too but I don't like that movie very much.
It's okay when Costner's not on screen...

I've read a lot about, and seen a lot of film of, JFK. Bruce really got a lot of his mannerisms, patterns of speech, his intensity, restlessness, droll humor, pragmatic outlook...he nailed them all.

The one good thing about Double Jeopardy (and also Rules of Engagement ) is that he's not considered too handsome to ever play a heel. Some guys get stuck in that rut, but he's avoided it nicely.
Old 11-22-02, 06:28 AM

I would say the epitomy of Bruce Greenwoods career has by far been Nowhere Man. He was in almost every single scene and worked furiously on the show doing a stunning job at portraying Tom Veil - the disenfranchised photographer on the run searching for his identity and the motivations of the conspiracy responsible for erasing his life. There is some interesting info on the Bruce Greenwood web site about it also - www.brucegreenwood.com

This guy scott hansen is the guy to contact about the DVDs
[email protected]

- todd