DVD Talk
Has mp3 technology ruined your ability to make the perfect audio CD? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Has mp3 technology ruined your ability to make the perfect audio CD?

Rogue588
11-16-02, 03:05 AM
Back in the day, I used to make killer various artist & "greatest hits" CDs.

Now I own an mp3 walkman, a DVD player that also plays mp3s, and an Aiwa mp3 car stereo.

Since then I haven't made one audio disc.

And if all that didn't hammer the last nail in the coffin, the radio station I DJ at finally got computers capable of playing mp3s.

To me, it just doesn't make sense burning an audio disc anymore when I can fit most artist's entire discography on one disc [at 192kbps].

Thoughts?

atlantamoi
11-16-02, 07:40 AM
There is no doubt for the cheapskate music lover that Mp3 can be a double-edged sword. I don't rip many Mp3's, but the few I have don't sound nearly as good as the real deal. My picky CD player in my car also doesn't like to play Mp3 to WAV files... it prefers pure copies or original CD's.

jarsim
11-16-02, 11:38 AM
The only time I ever take advantage of MP3's is with my Nomad Jukebox (about the size of a portable CD player for those who've never heard of it) which has a 30GB hard drive, storing almost 600 CDs in MP3 format. I use this at work and it's indispensable.

Making mixed CDs? Of course, it's impressive that you could fit an artist's entire catalogue on one CD-R in MP3 format. But the art of making mixed CD is lost otherwise. When making mixed CDs for friends, the people who I know and who are familiar with MP3, still prefer the old-fashioned way. A CD with 15-20 particular songs picked out has a lot more power than a MP3 CD with hundreds of songs. And I'm a CD to WAV to CD mixed CD maker.

I'm one of many who've bucked the theory that MP3s have declined sales, I've discovered a lot of more artists and even genres of music through downloading MP3s - and if I like it, I buy it. I love having the original artwork, the original CD.

Gunshy
11-17-02, 12:27 AM
Hmm, well I'm a ways into converting my entire collection to 128Kb MP3s but I still have a huge stonerrock 2cd best of compilation audio CD to make. I've been working on it piece-meal for over a year, getting CDs together, rating the tracks, weeding the filler out. I love the process but it may just be my last one - it take a lot of time (never mind making the custom color artwork in Photoshop)! :(

-Gunshy

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0