Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the chances of "Far From Heaven" topping your 10 best list for this year?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What are the chances of "Far From Heaven" topping your 10 best list for this year?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved it. It's definetly a contender for the top spot, there are a few to go, but it has a good chance.

Anyone else love it?
Old 11-13-02, 05:55 PM
Banned

If it had actually been released yet I'd let you know.
Old 11-13-02, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, sorry. It opened in NY & LA this past weekend. I forgot the rest of the country has some time to catch up!
Old 11-13-02, 06:05 PM
Banned

It has been, only maybe limited to select cities still. I haven't seen it yet, but it's one of very few new films I'm excited about. All word I've heard is great, especially about Julianne Moore's performance.
Old 11-13-02, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can see it now:

Denzel Washington:

"And the Oscar goes to....not Julianne Moore"

Old 11-13-02, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by conscience

Denzel Washington:

I don't get it... but I never heard the quote your parodying? Personally, I don't put much stock in the Oscars anyway (as sweet historically as last year's top actors win was). The most memorable best picture winners for me have been those I've hated.

Heck... maybe they'll give Moore the Oscar as an apology for not recognizing her work in Safe.
Old 11-13-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by conscience
I can see it now:

Denzel Washington:

Don't you mean

Denzel Washington:

"And the Oscar goes to...I love my job!....Julia Roberts!"
Old 11-14-02, 01:09 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I happened to catch a sneak preview of Far from Heaven last night.

I thought it was really good - especially if you appreciate Douglas Sirk (I'm not too keen on him myself) - but Todd Hayes seems to take all the Sirk elements and update them to a more relevant point. I was talking to my friends after the film and we were wondering if the film was intended to be a satire of the 50's or a dark revealation.

I only recently saw Sirk's All that heaven allows and FFH is very, very similar - down to using some of the same symbolic objects - the tree clipping, the broken vase, the TV. There's even the common nemesis called Mona. Of course, Sirk freely admits that he worked with really bad material, and so its quite refreshing to see FFH work as well as it does.

Anyway, enough about that. Julianne Moore was indeed very good. I don't know if I'm ready to hand out awards just yet, since its going to be a very busy 6 weeks, but I would imagine she's a contender. The other actors didn't really do anything for me. The sets/lighting/costumes were just brilliant, making a real world for the characters.

I'd give it a 9/10.
Old 11-14-02, 10:52 AM

I haven't seen it, but I'm dying to.

Wil it top my 10 best list of 2002? Probably not. "In Praise of Love" is staying exactly where it is, unless somehow I get to see "Russian Ark" and really like it I do think I'll like Far From Heaven very much though.
Old 11-14-02, 11:40 AM
Banned

I'm going to L.A. this Friday and Saturday. I'm going to try to see it. I love All That Heaven Allows.
Old 11-14-02, 01:15 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
It's very doubtful that it will supplant Kiarostami's 10 at the top of my list. Unlike Grimfarrow I haven't had the opportunity to see In Praise of Love, and probably won't get to see Russian Ark for some time.
Old 11-14-02, 02:05 PM

At best, Far from Heaven may be an elegant and thoughtful exploration of the past and its relation to the present (something akin to In the Mood for Love). At worst, it will still be better than The Piano Teacher (heh). But I'm really looking forward to it. It will take a lot to break into my top spots.

I'm still waiting for an American film to really wow me, but so far nil. Kwik Stop so far comes the closest (currently on the bottom of my top ten list).

I'm sure I will not get to see Ten until next year. Russian Ark is awesome, as is In Praise of Love (I got another week to catch it for a third time).
Old 11-14-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Duckie
I don't get it... but I never heard the quote your parodying? Personally, I don't put much stock in the Oscars anyway (as sweet historically as last year's top actors win was). The most memorable best picture winners for me have been those I've hated.

Heck... maybe they'll give Moore the Oscar as an apology for not recognizing her work in Safe.
I am referring to Julianne Moore always getting overlooked by the big guys. She is such a wonderful actress and probably will never get something as big as an Oscar. I don't care what the skeptics say, the Oscar is big even if you don't believe in the outcome of it.

She deserved it for Boogie Nights and should have been nominated for Magnolia. Safe is another good example.

She was great in The End of the Affair, but you had two other people locking heads for the award (you guys know the two).

Originally posted by LBPound
Don't you mean

Denzel Washington:

"And the Oscar goes to...I love my job!....Julia Roberts!"

Oh Yeah. I forgot about that.
Old 11-18-02, 11:31 AM
Banned

I saw Far From Heaven and loved it. Denis Quaid is really good in the part he was born to play. He outshines everybody. Perfect casting all around. A shoe-in for best cinematography and production design.
Old 11-18-02, 12:44 PM

Easily the best "major" release so far this year. Moore, whom I've never really been too impressed with, is just pitch perfect in this reserved and restrained role. I agree that Quaid performs nearly without artifice and owns his scenes.

What I loved, and may get me to see it again in theaters, is Haynes' direction. He adheres to the formal distinction of these 1950s films and yet, without a trace of ironic winking, sharply subverts the style. There were moments that it seemed that Cathleen Whitaker was not just trying to find escape from this oppressive suburban setting, but from the constraints of the film itself.
Old 11-18-02, 12:59 PM
Banned

I cant wait for this. My Dad saw it over the weekend and raved about it. I need to see a good meaty movie.
Old 11-18-02, 01:08 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by cooper2000
I need to see a good meaty movie.
Good Burger, anyone?
Old 11-18-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pants
I saw Far From Heaven and loved it. Denis Quaid is really good in the part he was born to play. He outshines everybody. Perfect casting all around. A shoe-in for best cinematography and production design.
I was thinking that he was born to play that part too, Hmmmmm....
Old 11-19-02, 01:30 AM
Banned

Any chance of this movie going nationwide or do I have to wait for it to come out on DVD?
Old 11-24-02, 10:50 PM
Banned

Wonderful movies. Unless there are tons of great movies that come out this and next month, this will be on my Top Ten list.

I love how the movie starts out and everything is wonderful (or so it appears) and then reality comes into these peoples lives and nothing is what it seems anymore.
I thought the movie was mostly going to be about Quaids character but it was about Moores and she was just great in the role. The friendship and growing feelings for the Black Gardener was very interesting. The fact she was having these feelings and her Husband was having taboo feelings of a different kind were what made the movie so fascinating.

I am sure this wont do Big business, like say Eight Miles, but this is a winner.

If you havent seen it, go see it.
Is this not in wide release yet?
Old 11-25-02, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Zero... because I won't be able to see it this year.

Looks like a wonderful film, though.
Old 11-25-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw it yesterday. As of now, it is the best film I've seen this year.
Old 11-25-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's my second favorite so far. I was looking forward to it, but I didn't expect to be this impressed. Great movie.
Old 11-25-02, 05:52 PM

Todd and Julianne

My appetite is truly whetted here. I've seen all of Juliannes film and all of Todds work as well, so its a given that I will probably enjoy this quite a bit. It's not playing here...yet. I'm hearing nothing but good solid reviews.
Very nice poster. In a time of 'face shot' One Sheets they seem to have evoked a real nice feeling in the photography for the poster, as simple as it is.
Old 11-27-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

From what I have seen thus far, it is definitely gonna be way up there. I'll have to see it at least once again in the theaters, but after watching All That Heaven Allows, Written on the Wind, Superstar, and Velvet Goldmine since I saw Heaven, it impresses me equally as film (filmed) criticism and as a great drama in and of itself.

Haynes is truly starting to put together one hell of a filmography if you ask me...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.