Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

XBOX Live - Wireless Router & Bridge with 2.4 Ghz Phones?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-02, 10:10 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm moving my xbox down to my dedicated HT so it won't be near my Cable modem anymore. I'm looking into a wireless soulution but I'm hearing mixed results.

So, who's running a wireless router setup for their xbox? Any problems?

Specifically, are you having any interference with using your wireless 2.4 Ghz phones?
Old 11-13-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have my bridge yet for the Xbox but, I have not noticed any problems with my wireless router and my 2.4 GHz phones. I have two computers running wireless cards. So, I don't think you should have any problems.
Old 11-13-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Linksys wireless router and the WET11 wireless bridge.

Everything works great with my Xbox and PS2, but I don't have any 2.4 ghz cordless phones.
Old 11-13-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm running a Cisco Access Point/Bridge (two bridges actually, one in a seperate bedroom, one at HT) and have my Xbox, PS2, and Audiotron (plays MP3's over network on HT) on it.

I just picked up a 2.4ghz phone though, didn't even think of interference, so I have no clue yet. I don't use the phone much to be honest heh.
Old 11-13-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't test the box/ps2, but I was just on the phone with a friend and the pc in the other room and the audiotron worked fine. From what he said, yes there can be interference, but I didn't experience any so he said not to worry about it (he's the network guy at my job heh).
Old 11-14-02, 08:43 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Maybe you guys can help me with posting links where to get what I need and I am not very got with comptuers so please use laymans terms I will have my xbox/ps2 in my bedroom along with 50" GWII my computer will be down stairs with road runner cable modem, how will I hook these up to use Xbox Live wirelessly and what do I need to buy besides XBOX live
Old 11-14-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get one of these and hook it up to your computer. Then get one of these and hook it to your Xbox. Your PS2 network adapter can be hooked to the bridge as well.
Old 11-14-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Don't have an xbox, but I do have a wireless LAN and a 2.4 GHz phone. since the phone line and ethernet connection come from the same place, I the phone and wireless router are next to each other, and do cause interference. So much so that I've switched back to a 900MHz phone. I have heard, however, that if you can separate the two sufficiently, everything will be fine.

The interference I noticed was a downgrade in the signal strength of the computer and/or a weird buzzing noise in my phone which made it impossible to use.
Old 11-14-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I have the same issue with my notebook and my phone.
Old 11-14-02, 05:41 PM
dgc

Well, I'm all hooked up and it appears my 2.4 GHz phones (vtech) aren't effecting the wirelesss connection to the bridge. Time to go downstairs and connect the bridge to the xbox. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-17-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
damn_ 200 bucks to use x-box live.
Old 11-17-02, 10:07 PM
dgc

Update: It's been a few days and I'm having a blast. Overall, I'm happy with the wireless setup. Especially today, I've had no lag or "host drop outs". My 2.4 GHz vtech phones don't appear to be causing any problems.

If you look at it that way, it is very expensive but I've been meaning to set up a network in my house for a while. I have 2 desktops and a laptop. I just purchased a wireless card for my laptop and it's great to be able to surf and dump at the same time.

xbox live just gave me another reason to spend the $$$ on the additional wireless hardware.

Old 11-18-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by damn_skippy
That's exactly what i was thinking. I have my computer upstairs and my XBOX downstairs on my HDTV. I really did not want to run cables through the house. Wireless would've been a solution for me. Of course i do NOT own Xbox-Live yet, not sure if i will get it either. I honestly don't think i would re-subscribe after the first year of use (depending on the price i guess). I'm content with System Link right now
Old 11-18-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
That's exactly what i was thinking. I have my computer upstairs and my XBOX downstairs on my HDTV. I really did not want to run cables through the house. Wireless would've been a solution for me. Of course i do NOT own Xbox-Live yet, not sure if i will get it either. I honestly don't think i would re-subscribe after the first year of use (depending on the price i guess). I'm content with System Link right now
Don't forget that most Xbox System Link games can be played online right now for free. All you need is a router and Gamespy Arcade and Gamespy Tunnel. I haved played Halo and THPS4 this way and it works pretty well.
Old 11-18-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
In most cases, the 2.4 GHz phones will interfere with the home wireless networks. The network will work fine until the phone rings (or until you turn the phone on to dial). Then when you hang up the phone, the network will work fine again.
Old 11-18-02, 06:28 PM

I had the cable modem & Dlink wireless router in the computer room upstairs, while the Xbox was in the living room.

I bought the Linksys WET11 Bridge and put it on the xbox - had major problems getting a decent connection. My laptop connections over wireless have been fine in the same area.

I moved the cable and wireless router downstairs to directly connect to the Xbox for Live, and it's acting better! :-)

I'll worry about getting my computer room all setup in the future...gotta play on Live.

Gamertag: Mr Bungle