Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TCM November Western Marathons

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In case it hasn't been noted here (i did a quick search and didn't see anything) TCM is showing something like 160 westerns this month in Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday 24 hour marathons. The prime-time films seem to be the best (tonight was Howard Hawks night with Rio Bravo and Red River)....I thought it might be nice idea to post the schedules here and here any suggestions for particular gems (or duds) as a lot of them seem a bit obscure - to this neophyte of the genre anyway. They show everything in OAR as far as I know, so for those titles not on DVD yet, I figure i'll at least be able to (*gasp*) tape a few of the gems (really hoping for Hud, Winchester '73, and Once upon a time in the West among others)....Thus, any input from the experts out there would be great. I'll denote those titles I have confirmed to be on dvd with *DVD* next to the title....that will exclude any of those cheap-o madacy etc. 3 movies for six bucks kind of releases though....

so i'll start with listing Thursday and Saturday's Schedules here. Saturday seems devoted to Charles Bronson and Gary Cooper among others....some real gems on that day! The times are Eastern, and Thanks to Flixtime for correcting the schedule form....they do indeed seem to start at 6 am on each day and run until 6 am the following day....

Thursday, 11/14:

6:00 am - Song Of The Saddle (1936)

A cowboy sets out to avenge the murder of his father years ago. Dick Foran, Alma Lloyd, Charles Middleton. Director: Louis King. BW-58m

7:00 am - Harlem Rides the Range (1939)
A singing cowboy protects the beautiful heir to a radium mine. Herb Jeffries, Lucius Brooks, Flournoy E. Miller. Director: Richard C. Kahn. BW-56m

8:00 am - Bronze Buckaroo, The (1939)
Two cowboys help a girl whose father has been killed. Herb Jeffreys, Spencer Williams, Rollie Hadin. Director: Richard C. Kahn. BW-58m

9:00 am - Ride, Ranger, Ride (1936)
Gene Autry is a Texas Ranger working under cover to protect an Army wagon train full of ammunition and supplies. The Army doesn't believe him at first, until the Commanches arrive. Director: Joseph Kane (I) BW-53m

10:00 am - Boots And Saddles (1937)
When new owner Spud arrives from England, Gene Autry convinces him not to sell the ranch but to raise horses for the Army. When both Autry's and Neale's bids are the same, the Colonel calls for a race to decide the winner. But that night Neale has Autry's stable burned. Director: Joseph Kane (I) BW-53m

11:00 am - Home in Oklahoma (1946)
Flying U ranch owner Sam Talbot is killed by a fall from a horse. St. Louis reporter Connie Edwards (Dale Evans) comes to check a rumor that he might have been murdered. She goes to Roy Rogers (Roy Rogers), editor of the local newspaper, and he takes her to the reading of Talbot's will. The ranch is left to Talbot's 120 year-old ward, Duke Lowery (Lanny Rees), much to the dismay of Talbot's niece, Jan Holloway (Carol Hughes). After some attempts on Duke's life, Roy finally proves that Jan, Steve McClory (George Meeker) and attorney Jim Jadnick (Arthur Space) had Talbot killed and are conspiring to do the same for Duke, making Jan the last heir. Director: William Witney. BW-72m

12:15 pm - On the Old Spanish Trail (1947)
With a $10,000 note Roy Rogers co-signed for the Pioneers due, Roy plans to get the money from the reward for the capture of the Gypsy. After he captures him he lets him go realizing he is innocent, it's not long before the real outlaws show their hand. Director: William Witney. BW-75m

1:30 pm - Montana Moon (1930)
A flapper weds a cowboy and has to adjust to life out West. Joan Crawford, John Mack Brown, Dorothy Sebastian. Director: Mal St. Clair. BW-89m

3:00 pm - Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954) *DVD*
When their older brother marries, six lumberjacks decide it's time to go courting for themselves. Howard Keel, Jane Powell, Russ Tamblyn. Director: Stanley Donen. C-102m

5:00 pm - Paint Your Wagon (1970) *DVD*
Two California miners share a gold claim and a wife. Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, Jean Seberg. Director: Joshua Logan. C-159m

8:00 pm - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) *DVD*
Director: C-110m

10:00 pm - Outlaw Josey Wales, The (1976) *DVD*
A peaceful farmer turns vigilante when soldiers murder his family. Clint Eastwood, Chief Dan George, Sondra Locke. Director: Clint Eastwood. C-136m

Friday 11/15

12:30 am - Best Of The Badmen (1951)
A band of notorious outlaws help a friend against a corrupt federal agent. Robert Ryan, Claire Trevor, Robert Preston. Director: William D. Russell. C-84m

2:00 am - Billy The Kid (1930)
A town marshal struggles to capture a rebellious kid turned outlaw. Johnny Mack Brown, Wallace Beery, Kay Johnson. Director: King Vidor. BW-95m

3:45 am - Hell's Heroes (1930)
Three cowboys risk their lives to get an abandoned baby to civilization. Charles Bickford, Raymond Hatton, Fred Kohler. Director: William Wyler. BW-68m

5:00 am - Son Of The Border (1933)
A lawman adopts the son of an outlaw he accidentally killed. Tom Keene, Julie Haydon, David Durand. Director: Lloyd Nosler. BW-55m

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday, 11/16:

6:00 am - Thunder Of Drums, A (1961)

A green Cavalry lieutenant learns the ropes fast when he's shipped out West. Richard Boone, George Hamilton, Arthur O'Connell. Director: Joseph Newman. C-97m

8:00 am - From Noon Till Three (1976)
A two-bit outlaw becomes a legend when he's mistakenly reported dead. Charles Bronson, Jill Ireland, Douglas Fowley. Director: Frank D. Gilroy. C-99m

10:00 am - Guns For San Sebastian (1968)
A Mexican bandit masquerading as a priest gets roped into helping villagers defend against an Indian attack. Anthony Quinn, Anjanette Comer, Charles Bronson. Director: Henri Verneuil. C-111m

12:00 pm - Breakheart Pass (1976) *DVD*
A U.S. Marshall tries to bring in a captured outlaw during a treacherous train ride. Charles Bronson, Ben Johnson, Richard Crenna. Director: Tom Gries. C-94m

2:00 pm - Firecreek (1968)
A pacifist sheriff must use tougher means when his town is threatened by a band of outlaws. James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Inger Stevens. Director: Vincent McEveety. C-104m

4:00 pm - Bend Of The River (1952)
A westerner with a questionable past leads a wagon train into the Oregon territory. James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Rock Hudson. Director: Anthony Mann. C-91m

6:00 pm - Two Rode Together (1961)
Two tough westerners bring home a group of settlers who have spent years as Comanche hostages. James Stewart, Richard Widmark, Shirley Jones. Director: John Ford. C-109m

8:00 pm - Westerner, The (1940)
A drifter accused of horse stealing faces off against the notorious Judge Roy Bean. Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Doris Davenport. Director: William Wyler. BW-100m

10:00 pm - Man Of The West (1958)
A reformed outlaw is among the hostages when his former colleagues rob a train. Gary Cooper, Lee J. Cobb, Julie London. Director: Anthony Mann. C-99m

Sunday 11-17

12:00 am - High Noon (1952) *DVD*
A retired Marshall must defend his town from a revengeful villain. Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly, Thomas Mitchell. Director: Fred Zinnemann. BW-85m

1:30 am - Vera Cruz (1954) *DVD*
During the Mexican Revolution, rival mercenaries team to steal a fortune in gold. Gary Cooper, Burt Lancaster, Ernest Borgnine. Director: Robert Aldrich. C-94m

3:30 am - Along Came Jones (1945) *DVD*
A mild-mannered cowboy is mistaken for a notorious outlaw. Gary Cooper, Loretta Young, William Demarest. Director:Stuart Heisler. BW-90m

5:30 am - MGM Parade Show #10 (1955)
George Murphy introduces clips from "A Guy Named Joe" and "Guys and Dolls." Hosted by George Murphy. Director: BW-26m

Last edited by HistoryProf; 11-13-02 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-12-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make this thread.
Old 11-13-02, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
flixtime is the Western (and War, and Gladiator ) movie expert, so I'm sure he'll have some insight into these films and some good suggestions.

Here are the movies I would suggest watching:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
High Noon (1952)
Along Came Jones (1945)
Two Rode Together (1961)

I plan on watching the other two James Stewart movies, Firecreek (1968) and Bend Of The River (1952). I think I've seen Bend Of The River, but Firecreek doesn't sound familiar.

Four movies on the Thursday schedule do not have descriptions. In case anyone is interested, Ride, Ranger, Ride (1936) and Boots And Saddles (1937) are Gene Autry movies, and Home in Oklahoma (1946) and On the Old Spanish Trail (1947) are Roy Rogers movies.
Old 11-13-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi DVDTalker bgills, thanks for starting this thread. I feel like a "kid in the candy store" this month with TCM airing so many Westerns (except when I forget to record them).

One note of caution regarding TCM's schedule listings, I think your best bet is to pull the daily movie listings from their Monthly schedule (link follows). Their daily schedule listing page is kind of strange in that they list the late night films first followed by the daytime films later (even though the daytime films air before the nightime films listed). Hmmm..........I think that was a pretty lousy job of getting across what I was trying to say. But here is an example for Sat. Nov. 16:

TCM November Monthly Schedule

16 Saturday
6:00 AM A Thunder Of Drums (1961) A green Cavalry lieutenant learns the ropes fast when he's shipped out West. Richard Boone, George Hamilton, Arthur O'Connell. D: Joseph Newman. C 97m. LBX CC
8:00 AM From Noon Till Three (1976) A two-bit outlaw becomes a legend when he's mistakenly reported dead. Charles Bronson, Jill Ireland, Douglas Fowley. D: Frank D. Gilroy. C 99m. LBX
10:00 AM Guns For San Sebastian (1968) A Mexican bandit masquerading as a priest gets roped into helping villagers defend against an Indian attack. Anthony Quinn, Anjanette Comer, Charles Bronson. D: Henri Verneuil. C 111m. LBX
12:00 PM Breakheart Pass (1976) A U.S. Marshall tries to bring in a captured outlaw during a treacherous train ride. Charles Bronson, Ben Johnson, Richard Crenna. D: Tom Gries. C 94m. LBX CC
2:00 PM Firecreek (1968) A pacifist sheriff must use tougher means when his town is threatened by a band of outlaws. James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Inger Stevens. D: Vincent McEveety. C 104m. LBX
4:00 PM Bend Of The River (1952) A westerner with a questionable past leads a wagon train into the Oregon territory. James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Rock Hudson. D: Anthony Mann. 91m. CC
6:00 PM Two Rode Together (1961) Two tough westerners bring home a group of settlers who have spent years as Comanche hostages. James Stewart, Richard Widmark, Shirley Jones. D: John Ford. C 109m.
8:00 PM The Westerner (1940) A drifter accused of horse stealing faces off against the notorious Judge Roy Bean. Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Doris Davenport. D: William Wyler. BW 100m. CC
10:00 PM Man Of The West (1958) A reformed outlaw is among the hostages when his former colleagues rob a train. Gary Cooper, Lee J. Cobb, Julie London. D: Anthony Mann. C 99m. LBX
(NOTE ADDED BY ME: The following is actually for Sunday the 17th)
12:00 AM High Noon (1952) A retired Marshall must defend his town from a revengeful villain. Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly, Thomas Mitchell. D: Fred Zinnemann. BW 85m. CC
1:30 AM Vera Cruz (1954) During the Mexican Revolution, rival mercenaries team to steal a fortune in gold. Gary Cooper, Burt Lancaster, Ernest Borgnine. D: Robert Aldrich. C 94m. LBX CC
3:30 AM Along Came Jones (1945) A mild-mannered cowboy is mistaken for a notorious outlaw. Gary Cooper, Loretta Young, William Demarest. D: Stuart Heisler. BW 90m.
5:30 AM MGM Parade Show #10 (1955) George Murphy introduces clips from "A Guy Named Joe" and "Guys and Dolls." Hosted by George Murphy. BW 26m.

On their daily listing page as you earlier posted, they would list High Noon first then list all the night shows followed by a listing of the morning shows starting with A Thunder of Drums (though A Thunder of Drums airs before High Noon not after. I've fallen victim to their daily listings myself so now I just pull my info. from their monthly schedule with Nov. 16 for example starting at 6am and running through 6am on Nov. 17.

As far as suggestions, Dimension X's comments are right on target. In addition, I'm quite partial to Vera Cruz with Gary Cooper and Burt Lancaster. Two lesser films that I've always enjoyed are Breakheart Pass starring Charles Bronson (pretty good Western/mystery) and A Thunder of Drums with Richard Boone, George Hamilton (who I generally don't care for, but he was good in this film), and in a small but memorable role Charles Bronson again. I've never seen Hell's Heroes but from the description it sure sounds like an early version of The Three Godfathers which later starred John Wayne (I think there was also another version of The Three Godfathers). Though I have no real recollection of the film, Man of the West starring Gary Cooper and directed by Anthony Mann should be pretty good. Anthony Mann directed a few solid Westerns which all starred Jimmy Stewart.

It was nice to see a film like Man Without a Star starring Kirk Douglas. The name of the film sounded familiar but I had no real recollection of it. When I watched it last weekend, it all came back to me. I had seen it numerous times as a kid but hadn't seen it once in the last 15 years or more. Douglas sure enjoyed strumming a banjo on screen (he also did it in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea).

And whatever you guys do, do not miss The Ox-Bow Incident starring Henry Fonda which airs later in the month.

One more thing bgills, I too was hoping for Winchester '73 but no luck this time.

Last edited by flixtime; 11-13-02 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-13-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks flixtime for the heads up on the schedule...i've fixed the list above, added some descriptions for the few that were missing from TCM's site, and denoted which films are available on DVD as far as I know....that should suffice for the form for later dates. Breakheart Pass does indeed look like a good one, as does the Westerner (which was apparently on dvd but is now oop.) Man, I wish i had a Tivo!!!! This is going to take some creativity to record all those that i'd like....(i.e. from noon to midnight on Saturday )

FYI, Butch Cassidy and Outlaw Josey Wales are two of my favorites, but watching them in any form other than their glorious restored dvd editions seems a bit blasphemous

Last edited by HistoryProf; 11-13-02 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-13-02, 11:23 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The day I'm excited about is Nov. 20 when they show the Leone westerns - the man with no name trilogy and then Once upon a time in the west which I've never seen.

Later in the month they also have Support your local Sheriff/Gunfighter and someone told me at least one them is good...
Old 11-13-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

flixtime - thanks for the recommendations. I'll try to remember to record Vera Cruz, Breakheart Pass, and A Thunder of Drums.
Old 11-14-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know if they'll edit these at all for content or will they show them in their theatrical versions a la Sundance Channel? I was just curious about Outlaw Josey Wales and Butch and Sundance among the other latter entries they'll be showing that do have a little profanity and nudity in the case of OJW (poor Sandra ).
Old 11-14-02, 10:58 AM
MrN

TCM always shows films un-edited and without commercial interruption.
Old 11-14-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MrN
TCM always shows films un-edited and without commercial interruption.
... and OAR.

bgills - They've shown Midnight Cowboy and The Exorcist uncut in the last few months. Although they did air later at night than The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-14-02 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-14-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bgills, nice touch adding the notation if the film is on DVD or not, to you on that. Also bgills, it is nice to hear that you are a newfound fan of Westerns. Though I understand the reasons why, the Western genre seems much-maligned by modern audiences. Even threads here at DVDTalk are filled with "I like every genre except Westerns". Maybe being a fan of Westerns is largely a generational thing. When I was growing up, alot of the films being discussed here were continually on TV so you almost had to like Westerns or you were out of luck.

MrN, I'm not as big a fan of Once Upon a Time in the West as are others but I am looking forward to replacing by AMC commercial-interrupted version with the uninterrupted TCM airing. I've got the Eastwood trilogy on DVD, so my VCR gets a break on that. I think Support Your Local Sheriff is considered the slightly better film but I'm not sure. Though not a comedy, James Garner is also very good in Duel at Diablo (with Sidney Poitier) which airs later this month.

Dimension X (and everyone else too), my advice in regards to Westerns is somewhat akin to a gluttons advice on the quality of a buffet (no offense to gluttons intended.........at a buffet table, I doubt many would be quick to claim me as a friend either). That said, I'm certain most will be very happy with Vera Cruz (as already mentioned). Breakheart Pass should also please Western buffs. I haven't seen A Thunder of Drums in some years but I do remember finding it a pleasant surprise when I first watched it. And don't forget to record Vera Cruz; it was also shown last month or the month before, so TCM might tuck it away for a while after this airing.

I'll be away for the next few days but I've made arrangements to have Saturday's schedule taped; I hope it works out.

And though it's not on until later this month, don't anyone miss The Big Country with Gregory Peck. The music is great and it is shot in a very grand (befitting the name of the film) manner. Billy Bob Thornton, Luke Perry, and that country singer (still don't know who he is) say some very nice things about the film (the discussion is shown every now and then in-between films on TCM). They talk about how no Director would ever try shooting the film today in the manner it was shot back then. They use a fistfight between two of the characters as an example. Instead of extreme close-ups, rapid-fire cuts, and "creative" camera angles, William Wyler (the Director) just pulled the camera way back (and I do mean waaaaay back) and let the characters have at it (all you see is two little figures fighting against the background of a vast and empty plain and sky).
Old 11-14-02, 01:30 PM

Great to see I'm not alone in my excitement for Once Upon A Time..., i think you'll enjoy it MrN

I got into the dollars trilogy about a year ago, and just taped Once Upon off AMC a month ago. I like it best now of the four. I figure it's mainly due to Henry Fonda as Frank. But like you flixtime I'm looking forward to replacing my current copy. I have to go pick up a nice VHS tape, cause god knows when it's coming on DVD.

I also want to see some of the other Lee Van Cleef Spaghetti Westerns they have lined up this month.

Cheers
Old 11-16-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok...here's Tuesday, aka: Sergio Leone day! Finally get to see Once Upon a Time in the West (now if only they'd put it on DVD!!). Cowboy is another that intrigues me from this list....anyone seen it?

Tuesday 11/19

6:00 AM - Wyoming (1940)
With the army after him and his partner deserting, Reb decides that a change of scenery would be
nice so he heads for Wyoming with Dave. To show his gratitude to Dave, he steals his horse and
gun, which causes Dave to be killed by cattle rustlers. While Reb is an outlaw and a teller of tall tales,
he still feels responsible for the Kincaid Ranch and helps all the Ranchers battle Buckley, who wants
to drive them all out. Even General Custer, with his 2 man cavalry gets involved in chasing Reb. Wallace Beery, Marjorie Main, Leo Carillo. D: Richard Thorpe. BW 88m.

7:30 AM - The Bad Man (1941)
Lopez is a bandit who has stolen the herd at Gil's ranch, so Hardy is about to foreclose. But Lucia has come back from New York and Gil is happy until he meets her husband, Morgan. Saying that they are friends, Morgan wants to buy the ranch before Hardy forecloses, and Gil will sell, but Lopez shows up with all his men and holds them all captive. Lopez has his own law, carried out with a 44 - and he plans to settle everything according to his vision of life. Wallace Beery, Lionel Barrymore, Ronald Reagan. D: Richard Thorpe. BW 70m.

9:00 AM - The Man From the Alamo (1953)
During the war for Texas independence, one man leaves the Alamo before the end (chosen by lot to help others' families) but is too late to accomplish his mission, and is branded a coward. Since he cannot now expose a gang of turncoats, he infiltrates them instead. Can he save a wagon train of refugees from Wade's Guerillas? Glenn Ford, Chill Wills, Julie Adams D: Budd Boetticher C 79m. CC

10:30 AM - Westbound (1959)
A Civil War veteran fights to protect a gold shipment from a bitter Confederate officer. Randolph Scott, Virginia Mayo, Andrew Duggan. D: Budd Boetticher. C 69m. LBX CC

12:00 PM - Cowboy (1958) *DVD*
Chicago hotel clerk Frank Harris dreams of life as a cowboy, and he gets his chance when, jilted by
the father of the woman he loves, he joins Tom Reece and his cattle-driving outfit. Soon, though, the
tenderfoot finds out life on the range is neither what he expected nor what he's been looking for... Jack Lemmon, Glenn Ford, Brian Donlevy. D: Delmer Daves. C 92m. LBX

2:00 PM - The Badlanders (1958)
Two men are released from the Arizona Territorial Prison at Yuma in 1898. One, the Dutchman, is
out to get both gold and revenge from the people of a small mining town who had him imprisoned
unjustly. The other, McBain, is just trying to go straight, but that is easier said than done once the
Dutchman involves him in his gold theft scheme. Alan Ladd, Ernest Borgnine, Katy Jurado. D: Delmer Daves. C 84m. LBX CC

3:30 PM - Bite The Bullet (1975) *DVD*
At the beginning of the 20th century, a newspaper organizes an endurance horse race : 700 miles to
run in a few days. 9 adventurers are competing, among them a woman, Miss Jones, a Mexican, an
Englishman, a young cow-boy, an old one and two friends, Sam Clayton and Luke Matthews. All
those individualists will learn to respect each other. Gene Hackman, Candice Bergen, James Coburn. D: Richard Brooks. C 131m. LBX

6:00 PM - The Last Hunt (1956)
Set in the early 1880s, this is the story of one of the last buffalo hunts in the Northwest. Sandy
McKinzie is tired of hunting buffalo, and tired of killing-Charley on the other hand relishes the hunt
and enjoys killing buffalo and Indians. When Charley kills an Indian raiding party, and takes their
squaw as his own, tension develops between the two hunters, and matters will only be settled in a
showdown. Robert Taylor, Stewart Granger, Lloyd Nolan. D: Richard Brooks. C 104m. LBX CC

8:00 PM - Fistful Of Dollars (1964) *DVD*
A mysterious stranger plays dueling families against each other in a Mexican border town. Clint Eastwood, Gian Maria Volonte, Mariane Koch. D: Sergio Leone. C 100m. LBX CC

10:00 PM - For A Few Dollars More (1966) *DVD*
Two bounty hunters join forces to bring an outlaw to justice. Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Gian Maria Volonte. D: Sergio Leone. C 132m. LBX CC

Wednesday 11/20

12:15 AM - Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, The (1966) *DVD*
Three men seek hidden loot during the Civil War. Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef. D: Sergio Leone. C 163m. LBX CC

3:00 AM - Once Upon A Time In The West (1969)
mail-order bride enlists an outlaw and a mystery man to help protect her land from a ruthless cattleman. Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Claudia Cardinale. D: Sergio Leone. C 165m. LBX CC
Old 11-16-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just to let you know, all of you who decided to tape or make a dvdr of butch cassidy and the sundance kid should go out and buy the dvd since the picture is so much sharper than the tcm version and the voices were more natural.
Old 11-17-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I taped Breakheart Pass, Firecreek, Bend of the River, and Two Rode Together from yesterdays line-up (more movies for the pile!!) and Watched the Westerner and Vera Cruz last night (yep...a wee bit of insomnia )

Just wanted to say that I though the Westerner was absolutely fantastic! Walter Brennen did indeed steal every scene, and it was amusing to hear that Cooper didn't want to do the film precisely because he figured that'd happen. Given the prominence of his role, I was surprised that his oscar was for best supporting actor - i mean he was one of two main characters! Anyway, the real travesty is that this isn't on dvd, but apparently was a while back in a release from HBO films (a la the old Grifters Release). Does anyone have a clue as to why this is, given that it's an MGM picture and is still available on VHS in the Western Legends series?
Old 11-17-02, 04:17 PM
MrN

Originally posted by bgills
Does anyone have a clue as to why this is, given that it's an MGM picture and is still available on VHS in the Western Legends series?

WB handles a lot of MGM titles of that era (another example, Gone with the Wind). MGM isn't the studio it used to be and I guess doesn't have the resources to market their catalogue.
Old 11-19-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just wanted to bump this thread to remind people that Once Upon A Time In The West is on tonight.
Old 11-19-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the line-up for Thursday....looks like The Ox-Bow Incident is the big title on this one....note that only one of the titles for this set is available on DVD (and it's one of the worst offerings for the month!)

Thursday 11/21

6:00 AM - Annie Oakley (1935)

In a sharpshooting match, the manager of a Cincinnati hotel bets on the fellow who's been supplying the hotel with quail...who turns out to be young Annie Oakley. Result: Annie is hired for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show (which is faithfully re-enacted in the film). She's tutored in showmanship by champ Toby Walker. But when Annie wins top billing, professional rivalry conflicts with their growing personal attachment, leading to misunderstanding and separation. Barbara Stanwyck, Preston Foster, Melvyn Douglas. D: George Stevens. BW 91m. CC

7:30 AM - The King And Four Queens (1956)
Smooth cowboy Dan Kehoe arrives at a ranch run by an old widow and her four daughters-in-law. He's been tipped off that the proceeds of a gold robbery are hidden on the ranch and only one of the women knows where. He plays them off against each other in his quest to discover the location. Clark Gable, Eleanor Parker, Jo Van Fleet. D: Raoul Walsh. C 84m. LBX

9:00 AM - Westward The Women (1951)
In a time when "The West" pretty much ends in Texas and only California is slowly being populated by the white men, there's a severe lack of women among the workers on Roy Whitman's farm in the California Valley. So he goes back east to Chicago to recruit wives for his employees. From the candidates he selects 150, who seem able to survive a months long journey across "The Great American Desert" and the Rocky Mountains. Robert Taylor, Denise Darcel, John McIntire. D: William A. Wellman. BW 117m. CC

11:00 AM - Sabata (1970)
Several pillars of society have robbed an Army safe containing $100,000 so they can buy the land upon which the coming railroad will be built. But they haven't reckoned on the presence of the master gunslinger, Sabata. Lee Van Cleef, William Berger, Pedro Sanchez. D: Frank Kramer. C 106m. LBX

12:45 PM - Adios, Sabata (1971)
A gunslinger searching for a hidden treasure gets mixed up with Mexican revolutionaries. Yul Brynner, Dean Reed, Pedro Sanchez. D: Frank Kramer. C 106m. LBX

2:30 PM - Navajo Joe (1967)
An Indian takes vengeance on the outlaw band that killed his tribe. Burt Reynolds, Nicholetta Machiavelli, Fernando Rey. D: Sergio Corbucci. C 92m. LBX

4:15 PM - Buffalo Bill And The Indians, Or Sitting Bull's History Lesson (1976) *DVD*
Buffalo Bill (Paul Newman) plans to put on his own Wild West sideshow, and Chief Sitting Bull has agreed to appear in it. However, Sitting Bull has his own hidden agenda, involving the President and General Custer. Paul Newman, Joel Grey, Harvey Keitel. D: Robert Altman. C 123m. LBX

6:30 PM - Run Of The Arrow (1957)
A Rebel vet, O'Meara has refused to surrender when Lee does at Appomatox. O'Meara travels west and after escaping from, he joins the Sioux and takes a wife. After denouncing himself as an American, he must make a choice when the Army and Sioux go to battle. Rod Steiger, Sarita Montiel, Brian Keith. D: Samuel Fuller. C 86m. LBX

8:00 PM - Nevada Smith (1966)
Steve McQueen stars as a young son of an Indian mother and white father. When his father is killed by three men over gold, McQueen sets out to find them and kill them. Steve McQueen, Karl Malden, Brian Keith. D: Henry Hathaway. C 131m. CC

10:30 PM - The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)
Two drifters are passing through a Western town, when news comes in that a local farmer has been murdered and his cattle stolen. The townspeople, joined by the drifters, form a posse to catch the perpetrators. They find three men in possession of the cattle, and are determined to see justice done on the spot. Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn, Dana Andrews, Mary Beth Hughes, Harry Morgan. D: William A. Wellman. BW 76m.

Friday 11/22

12:00 AM - Rancho Notorious (1952)
based on the story "Gunsight Whitman" by Silvia Richards. Vern Haskell, a nice rancher, seeks out to revenge his fiance's death when she is killed during a robbery. His revenge leads him to Chuck-a-luck, Altar Keane's ranch set up to hide criminals, and he finds more than he bargains for. Marlene Dietrich, Arthur Kennedy, Mel Ferrer. D: Fritz Lang. C 89m. CC

2:00 AM - The Oklahoma Kid (1939)
McCord's gang robs the stage carrying money to pay Indians for their land, and the notorious outlaw "The Oklahoma Kid" Jim Kincaid takes the money from McCord. McCord stakes a "sooner" claim on land which is to be used for a new town; in exchange for giving it up he gets control of gambling and saloons. When Kincaid's father runs for mayor, McCord incites a mob to lynch the old man whom McCord has already framed for murder.. James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Rosemary Lane. D: Lloyd Bacon. BW 81m. CC

3:30 AM - Death Rides A Horse (1969)
As a child, Bill witnesses the murder of his family by four robbers. Fifteen years later, he embarks on his revenge. During his quest, he crosses paths with Ryan, an ex-con who wants the money the robbers owe him. John Phillip Law, Lee Van Cleef, Anthony Dawson. D: Giulio Petroni. C 115m. LBX

5:30 AM - Festival of Shorts #43 (2002)
Features two Warner Bros. musical shorts: George Hall and His Orchestra (1936) and Freddie Rich and His Orchestra (1938). BW & C 24m.
Old 11-20-02, 01:27 AM
MrN

Looks like they're running out of the famous westerns. I'm still looking forward to Support your local Sheriff/gunslinger.
Old 11-20-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With regards to Thursday's schedule, in addition to the Ox-Bow Incident, I am also looking forward to:

Westward the Women: I've always liked Robert Taylor, and though I haven't seen the film in many years I seem to recall it being pretty good.

Rancho Notorious: also haven't seen it in many years but seem to remember it being pretty good.

Nevada Smith: because of Steve McQueen and Director Henry Hathaway. Pretty good film, but McQueen is somewhat (okay maybe more than somewhat) miscast in the role.

The King and Four Queens: because of Clark Gable and Director Raoul Walsh (who directed a lot of Errol Flynn's films). I don't recall ever having seen this film

Run of the Arrow: remember watching it often as a kid and enjoying it a great deal, but the film is probably best-enjoyed by the more devoted fans of the Western genre.

And, not that anyone really cares, but just thought I'd share, my "arrangements" to record this past Saturday's schedule of films (I was out-of-town) did not go as well as planned . Adios - Breakheart Pass, Fire Creek (ouch!), and Bend of the River (double ouch!!). Added to my neglecting to record Man from Laramie earlier this month, it looks like me and Jimmy Stewart were not meant to be. Too bad, I recall thinking quite highly of his Westerns but in my recollection they are all sort of muddled together (I don't know which one is which). And I guess I won't be finding out anytime soon. They are replaying some of Stewart's Westerns in the next two months, but of course they are the ones I already have on tape. Oh well, I guess it would have been too easy to get everything on tape in just one month.

A little off-topic, but I am really looking forward to Kevin Costner's new Western "Open Range" which is due out next year (it co-stars Robert Duvall).

Oh yeah, I read that due to the passing of James Coburn, TCM is altering this Sunday's schedule and will be showing The Magnificent Seven (along with The Great Escape and one other Coburn film (don't remember which one)). So anyone who missed the earlier airing of The Magnificent Seven, here's your chance.

Last edited by flixtime; 11-20-02 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-21-02, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW Flixtime....I just received Man From Laramie from CH in my latest enrollment and watched it last night....fantastic!!! Quickly jumped into the top five for me, and the presentation was magnificent. Short on extras, but long on quality in terms of the transfer and audio.
Old 11-21-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by brizz
FWIW Flixtime....I just received Man From Laramie from CH in my latest enrollment and watched it last night....fantastic!!! Quickly jumped into the top five for me, and the presentation was magnificent. Short on extras, but long on quality in terms of the transfer and audio.
Man from Laramie is one of 5 Westerns Jimmy Stewart did with Director Anthony Mann (who also directed El Cid, The Fall of the Roman Empire, The Tin Star (another pretty good Western with Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins), Man of the West (Western with Gary Cooper), Strategic Air Command (with Jimmy Stewart) and The Glenn Miller Story (again with Jimmy Stewart). And also Thunder Bay (1953 with Jimmy Stewart) which given a little leeway (not really a Western but close enough) could also be considered with the group below:

Stewart/Mann Westerns
Winchester '73 (1950)
Bend of the River (1952)
The Naked Spur (1953)
The Far Country (1954)
The Man from Laramie (1955)

All 5 of the above are highly regarded and would please most Western fans. Note: of all (not just the Stewart Westerns) the Anthony Mann films listed above only one - Man from Laramie - is available on DVD. A box-set of the 5 (6 if you count Thunder Bay) Stewart/Mann Westerns would be pretty cool.

For anyone interested, I'm pretty sure The Naked Spur and The Far Country are going to be shown on TCM between now and the end of January.

In addition to the Mann collaborations, I am also fond of the Jimmy Stewart Westerns:

Broken Arrow (1950) with Jeff Chandler
Night Passage (1957) with Audie Murphy
Bandolero! (1968) with Dean Martin

in addition to The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Two Rode Together, and Shenandoah of course.

Maybe this post would have been better-suited to Vampyr's old Jimmy Stewart thread (or at least posted there as well as here).
Old 11-22-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okeydoke....here's saturday's Line-up....looks like a Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster and Joel McCrea trifecta! The only one i've seen is The Kentuckian with Burt Lancaster - which is most notable for Walter Matthau's early performance. An entertaining picture all around.

Incidentally, I do remember reading that the MGM DVD of The Lawman edited out part of the love seen between lancaster and Sharee North - in which she was originally topless. Can't figure why they'd do that, but it would be interesting to see which version TCM shows.

Otherwise, i'm clueless on most of these and really am only interested in seeing some of the Joel McCrea flicks just out of curiousity. His is a name I hear often enough to be intrigued, but i've never seen one of his films. I may check a few out tomorrow night if i'm home, Otherwise, i think i'll be cheering on the Buckeyes and the Spartans tomorrow afternoon

Saturday 11/23

6:00 AM - Girl Rush (1944)

Two vaudevillians try to round up some ready-made brides for gold prospectors. Wally Brown, Alan Carney, Frances Langford. D: Gordon Douglas. BW 65m. CC

7:30 AM - The Lusty Men (1952)
When he sustains a rodeo injury, star rider Jeff McCloud returns to his hometown after many years of absence. He signs on as a hired hand with a local ranch, where he befriends fellow ranch hand Wes and his wife Louise. Wes has big dreams of owning his own little farm, and rodeo winnings could help finance it. Wes convinces Jeff to coach him in the rodeo ways, but Louise has her doubts. She doesn't want her man to end up a broken down rodeo bum like Jeff McCloud. Despite Louise's concern, the threesome hit the road in their Woody, chucking a secure present for an unknown future. Will they find success or sorrow? This picture features plenty of rodeo action and thrills. Robert Mitchum, Susan Hayward, Arthur Kennedy. D: Nicholas Ray. BW 113m. CC

9:30 AM Rachel And The Stranger (1948)
David Harvey is a widower with a young son, Davey, and they live on an isolated Ohio farm during the pioneer days. He wants his son to be raised in the manner his wife would have wanted, that is, with proper schooling, Bible study and proper manners. Rachel, an indentured servant is sold to David by her father in order to pay off his debts. David than marries her in order that little Davey would have a mother to properly raise him. However, David shows no real affection towards Rachel, for this is a marriage of convenience. This all changes when Jim, a friend of the family comes for a visit. During his stay, David sees that there is more to Rachel than just being a "bonds woman", especially when Jim takes a liking to her. This awaken new feelings in David for Rachel. Loretta Young, William Holden, Robert Mitchum. D: Norman Foster. BW 79m.

11:00 AM - The Wonderful Country (1959)
Having fled to Mexico from the U.S. many years ago for killing his father's murderer, Martin Brady travels to Texas to broker an arms deal for his Mexican boss, strongman Governor Cipriano Castro. Brady breaks a leg and while recuperating in Texas the gun shipment is stolen. Complicating matters further the wife of local army major Colton has designs on him, and the local Texas Ranger captain makes him a generous offer to come back to the states and join his outfit. Robert Mitchum, Julie London, Pedro Armendariz. D: Robert Parrish. C 98m.

1:00 PM - Vengeance Valley (1951) *DVD*
An honest rancher tries to block his evil brother's plots while keeping them from their father. Burt Lancaster, Robert Walker, Joanne Dru. D: Richard Thorpe. C 83m.

2:30 PM - Valdez Is Coming (1971) *DVD*
An honest marshal is the only man willing to stand against a powerful but ruthless rancher. The town constable, Bob Valdez, is forced to kill someone accused by Frank Tanner of being a murderer. Valdez asks Tanner for monetary help for the man's wife, but he is ridiculed and almost killed by Tanner's henchmen. Valdez recovers and summons up his days in the U.S. Cavalry in order to fight them. Valdez wounds one of the henchmen and sends him back to Tanner with the message, "Valdez is coming." Burt Lancaster, Susan George, Jon Cypher. D: Edwin Sherin. C 91m. LBX

4:00 PM - The Kentuckian (1955) *DVD*
A backwoodsman and his son get sidetracked on their way to build a new home in Texas and have to deal with bad guy Walter Matthau as the town meany. Good clean fun. Burt Lancaster, Dianne Foster, Walter Matthau. D: Burt Lancaster. C 104m. LBX

6:00 PM - Lawman (1970) *DVD*
A by-the-books sheriff courts disaster when he takes on a corrupt town boss. Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Lee J. Cobb, Sheree North. D: Michael Winner. C 99m. CC

8:00 PM - Gunfight at Dodge City (1959)
Bat Masterson fights to clean up Dodge City. Joel McCrea, Julie Adams, John McIntire. D: Joseph M. Newman. C 81m. LBX

10:00 PM - The Outriders (1950)
Rebel soldiers try to hijack a Union gold shipment. Joel McCrea, Arlene Dahl, Barry Sullivan. D: Roy Rowland. C 93m.

Sunday 11/24

12:00 AM - Fort Massacre (1958) Possibly mad cavalry commander leads his troops through dangerous Indian territory where they are under constant threat of attack. Joel McCrea, Forrest Tucker, Susan Cabot. D: Joseph M. Newman. C 81m. LBX

1:30 AM - Colorado Territory (1949)
Outlaw Wes McQueen is sprung from jail to help pull one last railroad job. He doesn't like his new partners - except dance-hall girl Colorado - and anyway fancies Julie Ann newly arrived from the east to set up home with her father. Maybe time to get out. Unfortunately he also has a $10,000 reward on his head, dead or alive. Joel McCrea, Virginia Mayo, Dorothy Malone. D: Raoul Walsh. BW 94m. CC

3:30 AM - Scarlett River (1933)
Unable to find open range near Hollywood, western actor Tom Baxter and his troop head to Judy Blake's ranch to shoot their film. Tom soon learns her foreman has been rustling and poisoning her cattle. When Tom threatens to expose him, Judy is kidnapped and the troop told to leave. With an expert makeup man available. Tom poses as one of the outlaws in an attempt to rescue her. Tom Keene, Dorothy Wilson, Lon Chaney, Jr. D: Otto Brower. BW 54m.

5:00 AM - Private Screenings: Leslie Caron (1999)
Robert Osborne hosts this TCM Interview with the exquisite actress Leslie Caron. C 47m. CC
Old 11-22-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Colorado Territory (1949) (starring Joel McCrea and Virginia Mayo) is a "westernized" remake of the gangster film High Sierra (1941) (which starred Humphrey Bogart and Ida Lupino). Both films were directed by Raoul Walsh.

Colorado Territory (1949), although it lacks the charismatic Bogart and has a few anachronistic lines of dialogue left over from its gangster predecessor, has the better ending.

Watch the two movies together if you get the chance. Unfortunately High Sierra (1941) is not available on DVD and is not on TCM's upcoming schedule.
Old 11-23-02, 09:51 AM

Boy, reading this thread has really got me wanting to watch some more Westerns. I only have a couple of Wesrerns currently: Hang 'Em High, Magnificent Seven and Outlaw Josey Wales. I just ordered Stagecoach also. Really looking forward to delving into the Westerns more deeply.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.