DVD Talk
Early Red Hot Chili Peppers LPs Get Reheated [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Early Red Hot Chili Peppers LPs Get Reheated

mkdevo
11-12-02, 01:41 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1458579/11082002/red_hot_chili_peppers.jhtml

The first four Red Hot Chili Peppers albums are getting warmed over by the band's former record label.

The Cali rock-rap clique's 1984 self-titled debut, 1985's Freaky Styley, 1987's The Uplift Mofo Party Plan and 1989's Mother's Milk will be reissued by EMI/Capitol Records on January 28 with rare, live and previously unreleased material, according to a label spokesman.

Together the LPs create an aural timeline, illustrating how this pioneering quartet progressed to usher in the hybrid rap-metal genre and become the rock superstars they are now.

Red Hot Chili Peppers was aggressive and fun, while admittedly sloppy, but it offered a taste of the band's potential, especially the warped eclecticism of "True Men Don't Kill Coyotes." The reissue features demo versions of three of the album's tracks, which later surfaced on the 1994 album of remixes, live tracks and other rarities Out In L.A., as well as a version of "What It Is (Nina's Song)" that also appeared on that album.

Freaky Styley marked the return of original guitarist Hillel Slovak, who left the band just prior to the release of their debut and would die from a heroin overdose four years later. The band finds itself at its most funky, covering Sly Stone's "If You Want Me To Stay" and certainly informed by the album's producer, Parliament Funkadelic mainman George Clinton. Demos of "Nevermind" and "Sex Rap," also found on Out In L.A. and the previously unreleased instrumental long version of the title track comprise the bonus tracks.

The only album to feature all the original members — Slovak, bassist Flea, drummer Jack Irons and singer Anthony Kiedis —The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, finds the band at their most scattered, with a cover of Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" alongside the funky "Special Secret Song Inside" and reggae-infused "Love Trilogy." The pieces are held together by the cohesion of Slovak's groovy guitar, Flea's slap bass and Kiedis' bark. Only two bonus tracks are included here, both previously unreleased: instrumental demo versions of "Behind the Sun" and "Me & My Friends."

The band's breakthrough Mother's Milk set the tone for the RHCP's mainstream smash Blood Sugar Sex Magik two years later. Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground" lifted them from the alternative and college-radio domain, where "Knock Me Down" and "Nobody Weird Like Me" afforded the audience chunky rock they could dance to. The reissue of Mother's Milk provides the most varied bonus material. A dub mix of "Higher Ground" is matched with a live, previously unreleased cover of Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic" and a demo of "Salute To Kareem," the buried companion tune to the album's "Magic Johnson." A live version of "Castles In The Sand" and the original long version of "Knock Me Down" are also included.

All the reissues have been digitally remastered and feature liner notes by Flea.

—Joe D'Angelo

SWEET! sucks that a lot of the 'bonus material' is on Out In LA, but i'm really looking forward to this - especially the MM disc!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0