Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The ALIEN saga on AMC

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ALIEN saga on AMC

On wednesday Nov 13th, there is a 2 hour documentary on the ALIEN movies starting at 8pm. Does anyone know if this is the same documentary on the ALIEN Legacy bonus disc that was available a couple years ago?
Old 11-12-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wed at 8pm...hmmm I must watch this.
Old 11-12-02, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am so there.
Old 11-12-02, 06:25 AM

Re: The ALIEN saga on AMC

Originally posted by Robert
Does anyone know if this is the same documentary on the ALIEN Legacy bonus disc that was available a couple years ago?
It probably isn't the same docu on the bonus disc. IIRC, that docu is only about an hour long (yep, 67 mins according to the digital bits review). AMC's gotten into commercials big-time, but stretching 67 mins into 2 hours with commercials would be a little excessive!

There have been rumors about an Alien 5-star DVD coming out next year - maybe the AMC program is something new for that new release?
Old 11-13-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: The ALIEN saga on AMC

Originally posted by Stats
There have been rumors about an Alien 5-star DVD coming out next year - maybe the AMC program is something new for that new release?
Old 11-13-02, 12:27 PM
Banned

This looks very good. When I saw this was going to be on, I marked it in my TV guide. Guess Michael Biehn was upset that he wasnt asked back for Alien3. Wasnt everyone?
Hope they come out with a Directors cut of that and a new movie would be nice too.
Old 11-13-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: The ALIEN saga on AMC

Originally posted by Robert
On wednesday Nov 13th, there is a 2 hour documentary on the ALIEN movies starting at 8pm. Does anyone know if this is the same documentary on the ALIEN Legacy bonus disc that was available a couple years ago?
Definitely not the same one. I have it, and it just covers the making of the original.

Here's some more info on the documentary that premieres tonight.
Sounds cool!!!

Alien Saga
135 min. *with commercials
“In space, no one can hear you scream.” So says the poster for 1979's “Alien,” but there was plenty of screaming in theaters as audiences flocked to the sci-fi shocker, and later to its three grisly sequels.
John Hurt, whose stomach was integral to one of the franchise's most memorable moments, narrates this look at the making of the series, which made Sigourney Weaver a bona fide action hero and helped launch the careers of directors Ridley Scott, James Cameron and David Fincher. Interviews include cast members Weaver, Tom Skerritt, Michael Biehn, Veronica Cartwright and Lance Henriksen; production personnel; and conceptual artist H.R. Giger, who designed the horrifying extraterrestrial. Also: outtakes and behind-the-scenes footage.

Rating: TV-PG
Content: Suggestive Dialog, Strong, Coarse Language, Violence
Category: Documentary
Release Year: 2002

Additional Airings
Date Time
Thursday, 14 2:50 PM
Sunday, 17 2:20 PM
Old 11-13-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also it seems like that weaver did a nude scene in one of them since on the commercial, for one of the new scenes we see her take off her top.
Old 11-13-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cooper2000
Guess Michael Biehn was upset that he wasnt asked back for Alien3. Wasnt everyone?

Where did you hear about him being pissed he wasnt asked to return?
Old 11-13-02, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by UAIOE
Where did you hear about him being pissed he wasnt asked to return?
Maybe it was in a promo for the doc tonight.

Anyhoo, this show was a pleasure to watch. I can't imagine them not putting this on any future dvd release. I just wish there was more insight to the behind the scenes problems on Alien³.
Old 11-14-02, 01:20 AM
Banned

Good show. Cool seeing Carrie Henn all grown up too.

I had read in my Entertainment Weekly while being interviewed he was not happy that he wasnt asked back and then it said, In Space no one can hear you Whine.
Personally I think it was a mistake to spend so much time on Henns and Biehns characters in Aliens and then throw it all away. What a waste.

I was kinda shocked that Siqourney stuck up for the movie because I still think that the quality of the movie is chalked up to the people behinds the scenes not knowing what they wanted to do. I remember reading about the dozens of scripts that they wrote and then didnt film and the one they filmed was the Best?
I also remember reading that Siquorney didnt want any guns in Aliens 3 and that was a big mistake. Actors should not be given too much input. They should just show up and act.

They do talk about doing a 5th movie. I hope they can do it.
Old 11-14-02, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cooper2000
Good show. Cool seeing Carrie Henn all grown up too.
Yes it was. I was really suprised to see her on there. Every time i watch "Aliens" i wonder what she looks like today.

I had read in my Entertainment Weekly while being interviewed he was not happy that he wasnt asked back and then it said, In Space no one can hear you Whine.
I'll back up Michael Biehn on this one. Screw EW and thier little quips.

Personally I think it was a mistake to spend so much time on Henns and Biehns characters in Aliens and then throw it all away. What a waste.
I couldnt have said it better myself. Then again I try and disreguard 3+4 anyway.

I was kinda shocked that Siqourney stuck up for the movie because I still think that the quality of the movie is chalked up to the people behinds the scenes not knowing what they wanted to do. I remember reading about the dozens of scripts that they wrote and then didnt film and the one they filmed was the Best?
I really think the whole monastery thing should have stayed...it would have been a much more interesting enviroment than a prision. I mean a prision in space...whoop-dee-doo, not like that hasnt been unsed in sci-fi before.

The movie did suffer from people not knowing what to do, it also didnt help that FOX promoted it as a movie it wasnt.

I also remember reading that Siquorney didnt want any guns in Aliens 3 and that was a big mistake.
Thats funny...i thought she said she liked shooting the guns and stuff.

We can only pray that Aliens vs. Predator doesnt get made by that Paul Anderson dude. "Event Horizion" was cool, but his ass doesnt need to be directing a film of this magnatude.

Did anyone record this on DVD-R or something? I got it on tape but it'd be nice to have it on DVD.
Old 11-14-02, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
ALIEN3 reeked.

My problem with it was pretty much that it dispatched with Newt and Hicks. Go through all of that trouble to save them, and then just kill them in crash? Lame lame lame.

I wish they would've made the William Gibson script into a movie. Or at least a version of it.
Old 11-14-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any word on a repeat of this?

I was only able to catch some of the beginning involving Alien.
It was cool to see this featured though since I own two.

Old 11-14-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn! I wish I'd seen this. Hope it's on again.

I actually really enjoyed Alien 3. Completely different feel than the first two, but it has some enjoyable dialog. The CGI is kinda crap, but I love the interplay between Ripley and the prisoners. I was disappointed Hehn and Biehn were killed off but thought the movie certainly had it's merits. Definitely highly underrated in my opinion.

4 just sucked tho. A travesty.

Mordred
Old 11-14-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I looked on TV Guide and it's playing right now on the east coast on AMC...and it will also be played again on Sunday at 2:20 I believe.

Good thing it's being played again since I missed it...hopefully i'll be able to tape it or something. Although I'd definitely LIKE to have it in digital form.
Old 11-14-02, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty damn good doc.

I loved seeing the screen tests for the first film. Two things surprised me:

1. I can't believe what an elaborate set they built just for a screen test

2. I can't believe that had Weaver do a nude scene in a screen test. That scene wasn't even in the final film!
Ha, Ha! What a bunch of horny bastards "Bring in the women to screen test. All right, let me see your knockers."

Is any of that screen test footage on the DVD?

Last edited by Pants; 11-14-02 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-14-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

please tell me that amc had the big block or the blurs over weiver. since then hopefully the new dvd release (if) will contain this scene uncut.
Old 11-14-02, 02:48 PM

I think the character of Newt lasted just as long as it should have. For me it reminds me of sitcoms that bring a little kid on every other year for the cuteness factor. What do I know though, I loved Alien³.
Old 11-14-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
please tell me that amc had the big block or the blurs over weiver. since then hopefully the new dvd release (if) will contain this scene uncut.

You didnt see anything....the frame cut off right above her chest.

Actually, i never really saw Newt as a "cuteness" factor....if anything the cat from "Alien" was more of a cuteness factor than Newt.

Newt would have been an interesting charater to have seen grown up....If Ripley and or Hicks had raised her she probably would have turned into an even more bad-ass alien killer than Ripley.
Old 11-14-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
My problem with it was pretty much that it dispatched with Newt and Hicks. Go through all of that trouble to save them, and then just kill them in crash?
One of the many reasons that I LOVE Alien3, and why it's my favorite Alien film. Takes you down roads you'd never expect it to. Aren't there enough formulaic action flicks out there which go exactly the way you intend them too? (Additionally, Newt would have to have been replaced with another actress since Carrie Henn had obviously aged in the six years between films, while Newt was in suspended animation...and who would have bought that?)
The acting is superb all around and the visual style is amazing. I still get chills at Ripley's death scene. I'm confident that this film will, over time, become regarded as highly as the first two. I'm sure a lot of David Fincher bandwagon jumpers have re-evaluated their stance on Alien3, after realizing that it was their man's first film. I hope someday Fincher can do a director's cut, as I'm sure he had little creative control on the final cut, being his first film and all.
Old 11-14-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Have you seen her breasts? Trust me, it's not a pretty sight.

She's a very attractive woman, but she needs to keep that top ON at all times.
Old 11-14-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
You didnt see anything....the frame cut off right above her chest.

Actually, i never really saw Newt as a "cuteness" factor....if anything the cat from "Alien" was more of a cuteness factor than Newt.

Newt would have been an interesting charater to have seen grown up....If Ripley and or Hicks had raised her she probably would have turned into an even more bad-ass alien killer than Ripley.
Pretty much what the early Dark Horse ALIENS comics series were about.

If Weaver wanted out of the movie franchise, they could've had an adult Newt take her place.
Old 11-14-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
One of the many reasons that I LOVE Alien3, and why it's my favorite Alien film. Takes you down roads you'd never expect it to.
No, Alien 3 took me down a road i already saw. Ripley pretty much trying to off a lone alien by herself while everyone else is getting killed. Sounds familar? It should...thats pretty much what happened in "Alien".

(Additionally, Newt would have to have been replaced with another actress since Carrie Henn had obviously aged in the six years between films, while Newt was in suspended animation...and who would have bought that?)
Its not anymore hard to swallow than to see Ripley age 6 years in "Alien 3" when only a few weeks or so have passed since "Aliens" took place.

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Pretty much what the early Dark Horse ALIENS comics series were about.
Sweet! Any recommendations?
Old 11-14-02, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, Alien 3 took me down a road i already saw. Ripley pretty much trying to off a lone alien by herself while everyone else is getting killed. Sounds familar? It should...thats pretty much what happened in "Alien".
Uhh, isn't that what pretty much happens in ALL of the Alien films?

Its not anymore hard to swallow than to see Ripley age 6 years in "Alien 3" when only a few weeks or so have passed since "Aliens" took place.
It's far less obvious when someone has aged six years as an adult, than when they've gone from child to teen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.