METROID PRIME Review - 9.8 from IGN!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
METROID PRIME Review - 9.8 from IGN!

From IGN's METROID PRIME review (currently Insider only):

Presentation - 10.0
Metroid reborn in 3D, and an impressive sci-fi fantasy to boot. Awesome menus. Design is great from concept to execution. Few games are this polished.

Graphics - 9.0
A stunning art vision that deserves major recognition, jaw-dropping world architecture, and volumes of pretty textures. At 60 fps with progressive scan support, there are few that compare.

Sound - 10.0
The original Nintendo composer delivers another opus and fantastically designed sound effects compliment the mood with Dolby Pro Logic II support.

Gameplay - 10.0
A true masterpiece; an accomplishment that will be recognized for years. It is Super Metroid in 3D, and it's as complex and wonderful as any gamer could want. Any self-respecting gamer must own it.

Lasting Appeal - 9.0
30+ hours to average completion. Requires much longer to earn 100%. Unlock art galleries, difficulty settings, and connect to GBA for extras. No multiplayer, but like Zelda, do we need it?

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.8
Old 11-11-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

... that's really all I can say...

This game is the reason I bought my Gamecube .
Old 11-11-02, 04:09 PM

Just my opinion but points should be deducted for not having multiplayer or co-op. It just adds so much to a game and prolongs the replay value. For me a FPS must have multiplayer capability to warrant a purchase.

And Dolby Pro Logic II does not impress me. Give me Dolby Digital or DTS then I will give you a 10 on sound.

Once again let me remind you that this is my opinion, so don't flame me.
Old 11-11-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think multiplayer or co-op would be that great in this game. It's not really a shooter.
Old 11-11-02, 04:24 PM
zig

Originally posted by gross@iastate
Just my opinion but points should be deducted for not having multiplayer or co-op. It just adds so much to a game and prolongs the replay value. For me a FPS must have multiplayer capability to warrant a purchase.

And Dolby Pro Logic II does not impress me. Give me Dolby Digital or DTS then I will give you a 10 on sound.

Dolby Pro Logic II is the best that's available on the gamecube. They can't deduct points for a game not achieving something that isn't possible.

Also, they did deduct points for no multiplayer. It got a 9 in Lasting Appeal instead of a 10

Anyway.. this is a GREAT score coming from cube.ign.. The closest games(Eternal Darkness and SSBM) got 9.6.
Old 11-11-02, 04:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's interesting to me that the two games most likely to receive "Game of the Year" awards for 2002 don't have multiplayer...Metroid Prime and Vice City.
Old 11-11-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by gross@iastate

I'm not going to flame you.

Others have said it. I've said it. The game is not a FPS. The game is all about the 1 player experiance. You may not like it, but that is what metroid is about.

I was originally skeptic about DPII compared to DTS and DD5.1 being an audio buff; needless to say I've been pleasantly surprised. It's really quite good. I was amazed by Rogue Leader 2, and Eternal Darkness put most 5.1 games I've played on Xbox to shame. If you know audio, as it sounds, you know half the battle is implementing the audio standard used. Plenty of games and movies in 5.1 suck because of poor use. If the DPII standard is utilized fully it is quite rewarding.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 11-11-02 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-11-02, 04:31 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

After reading the review, I'm definitely buying Metroid Prime and will enjoy every second of it.

Also after reading the review, I'm definitely selling it on Ebay after I beat it. I don't have a GBA to connect to it nor do I care about beating it over and over and I could care less about Art galleries.
Old 11-11-02, 04:40 PM
fab

Metroid wasn't and isn't about multiplayer. It's all about the singler player experience and multiplayer is just not necessary in a Metroid game.

Unfortunately Dobly Pro Logic II is the best the GameCube can do so a 10 may be warranted. It's unfortunate that the GameCube doesn't support Dolby Digital or DTS, but at least the developers support the best that the GameCube is capable of.

--
fab
Old 11-11-02, 04:43 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, now I'm even more excited for this.

And I disagree that points should be taken away from any game for not having multiplayer. Reviewers should only review whats in the game, and rate it accordingly. They shouldn't drop their score because it lacks any gameplay modes. Just judge whats there.

I could care less about multiplayer. Playing games=my alone time.
Old 11-11-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone heard if this game has a widescreen mode? I don't really get why they make some game progressive scan but don't include a widescreen mode....
Old 11-11-02, 04:47 PM
Retired

About the sound, I was under the impression that there were severe limitations with doing true in-game Dolby Digital and DTS. i.e. it's a lot harder to program so that sound that can occur at anytime and place in the game (enemy gunfire for example) actually sound in proper speaker in relation the directions the sound should be coming from in the game.

I could be wrong, but I remember an interview with Factor 5 saying something to that effect in regards to the making of Rogue Leader. They could well have just been blowing smoke though, as they were the developer to pioneer pro logic 2 in games.

I'm not trying to get into a quality debate either, I have no idea how good PL2 sounds as my receiver only does DD and DTS, I was just curious.
Old 11-11-02, 04:50 PM
zig

"The intense yet strategic combat of Halo. The ingenious level design and devious puzzles of Zelda's best dungeons. The intriguing story, moody atmosphere, and spooky thrills of Resident Evil. The new Metroid stands with the very best of modern games in almost every important respect. Well, except sound and graphics, where Prime surpasses them all.

The amount of time, skill, and dedication that obviously went into crafting and polishing this game just completely blows my mind. Videogames, regardless of what system they are for, just aren't supposed to sound this good, look this detailed, be this large in scope and this fun to play all at the same time; it's like the best title from six years in the future fell through a time warp."

Yipes. This guy is going to explode if he keeps glowing about Metroid Prime this much. :P

That's from EGM/gamers.com's review: http://gamers.com/game/289115/reviews
Old 11-11-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I cannot wait for this game.

Unfortunately, with finals ahead, I probably won't get to beat it til Winter break.. Ah well. I still can't wait.
Old 11-11-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played it at the Cube Club and if the first level is any indication the game definitely lives up to the hype.

The game engine does not lend itself to multiplayer at all nor would it make sense to have a co-op mode in a Metroid game. If they tried to tack on those ideas it wouldn't almost certainly detract from what makes Metroid games unique.

If you are looking for a typical FPS and multiplayer then Metroid probably isn't the game for you.
Old 11-11-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

damn i guess i gots to get it
Old 11-11-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

when the hell is this comin out? i thought it was the 11th, my eb says the 19th?

booooooooooo
Old 11-11-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
It's interesting to me that the two games most likely to receive "Game of the Year" awards for 2002 don't have multiplayer...Metroid Prime and Vice City.

Wow, that is interesting
Old 11-11-02, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never have liked the Metroid games, so I don't know if this one will be different or not. I played the demo for a few minutes at Circuit City, and it looks great, but I got nowhere since I have no idea how to play it. A few of my friends will be getting it though, so I'll check it out when they get it.
Old 11-11-02, 07:20 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I thought this Metroid was supposed to be like a FPS?
Old 11-11-02, 07:24 PM
zig

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
I thought this Metroid was supposed to be like a FPS?
It has a first person perspective, and there's shooting involved, but the similarities with (most) FPS games ends there.

It's like FPS + Adventure + Platforming.
Old 11-11-02, 07:53 PM

though i don't usually buy games at $50 anymore this ones going to be the exception, looks like i'll be movin' the cube to my 61" widescreen and maybe picking up a wavebird wireless controller also.
Old 11-11-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sorry, but Metroid Prime is a FPS.

Is it in first person view?
-check
Do you shoot stuff?
-check

See?

There's Adventure and Platforming elements in most FPS games... some even have RPG elements or Sports elements or Fighting elements etc... I do want to play this some more though - I hope my roommate buys it. I mean FPS is my favorite type of game and yet I didn't like Timesplitters (which everyone else liked) and I was underwhelmed with my few encounters with MP (which is even more beloved)... I hope this isn't going to become a trend. I really wanted to like this game because it was the one game that almost talked me into buying a GCN (before playing it at E3). E3 is such a madhouse though, I should really give it a fair chance in my living room.
Old 11-11-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I'm sorry, but Metroid Prime is a FPS.

Is it in first person view?
-check
Do you shoot stuff?
-check

See?
I agree!
Old 11-11-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you played it?

It does not feel like UT/Halo/Quake from the first level that I played.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.