Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Major Dundee on TCM (not on DVD: Western with C. Heston, Rich. Harris, D: Peckinpah)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Major Dundee on TCM (not on DVD: Western with C. Heston, Rich. Harris, D: Peckinpah)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if anyone else is interested but I've been looking forward to this for some time now. One of my favorite Westerns - Major Dundee - is airing on TCM as shown below. This film is not yet available on DVD (nor have I heard any rumour of an upcoming release). Fans of the late Richard Harris and/or Director Sam Peckinpah, as well as Charlton Heston of course, might also be interested in checking it out. I'm eagerly awaiting this opportunity to finally see the film in its OAR.

Tuesday, November 12 at 5:30 PM (EST)
Major Dundee (1965)
Cavalry misfits cross the Mexican border to destroy an Indian outpost.
Charlton Heston, Richard Harris, James Coburn. D: Sam Peckinpah. C 122m. LBX

Though I don't expect it to ever happen, someday I sure would like to see the longer (by 1/2 hour) unreleased Director's cut which is mentioned at IMDb.com.

Following is the link to the IMDb.com listing for Major Dundee:

Major Dundee at IMDb.com
Old 11-11-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flixtime ~ Thanks for the reminder

This is a fine movie which I haven't seen in quite some time. I also recommend this film to anyone who has the chance to watch / tape it.

Good job buddy
Old 11-11-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Vampyr
flixtime ~ Thanks for the reminder

This is a fine movie which I haven't seen in quite some time. I also recommend this film to anyone who has the chance to watch / tape it.

Good job buddy
My pleasure! Glad to hear at least one other person found it of interest. I wish I could say that my posting was purely altruistic but it's also due in part to the fact that I've been "salivating like Pavlov's dog" in anticipation of seeing the film (especially in its OAR) and I just wanted to share my excitement. Plus with the recent passing of Richard Harris coupled with the fact that the film is not on DVD I thought it might be of interest to some.

As you might imagine, I am in pure bliss recently, thanks to it being Westerns month on TCM. Well maybe not pure bliss as I'm starting to get tired of constantly having to set my VCR to record all the films.

And to continue taking this thread further off-topic, the film that currently tops my most wanted list is Errol Flynn's Rocky Mountain. I don't know that you've seen it since it is a relatively minor film when compared to others he did. The film is not available on DVD (no great surprise) but it's also not available on VHS either (as far as I know). I see that TCM has it in their library so hopefully some day they will show it (maybe on his birthday or something). Flynn ended up marrying the film's female lead - Patrice Wymore (she was wife #3 I think).

Anyway, like you, I haven't seen Major Dundee in quite a few years so I'm eager to see if it still has the same magic. I'm sure glad my cable company is pretty reliable (and doesn't come with the burden of any "unique" aspects to their service as yours tends to do).
Old 11-11-02, 07:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I consider myself a huge Peckinpah fan, yet I have not seen this one!

Thanks for the reminder. My VCR will be set.
Old 11-11-02, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
I consider myself a huge Peckinpah fan, yet I have not seen this one!
Very understandable as it is so rarely seen on TV nowadays.

Major Dundee is the film Peckinpah did in between Ride the High Country and The Wild Bunch. From the comments on IMDb it seems that it was a fairly contentious and controversial shoot for Peckinpah and all parties concerned. I think you're in for a treat Geofferson; Major Dundee is a pretty rousing adventure, not only are Heston and Harris good but the supporting cast also excels. Enjoy!
Old 11-12-02, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by flixtime
My pleasure! Glad to hear at least one other person found it of interest. I wish I could say that my posting was purely altruistic but it's also due in part to the fact that I've been "salivating like Pavlov's dog" in anticipation of seeing the film (especially in its OAR) and I just wanted to share my excitement. Plus with the recent passing of Richard Harris coupled with the fact that the film is not on DVD I thought it might be of interest to some.

As you might imagine, I am in pure bliss recently, thanks to it being Westerns month on TCM. Well maybe not pure bliss as I'm starting to get tired of constantly having to set my VCR to record all the films.

And to continue taking this thread further off-topic, the film that currently tops my most wanted list is Errol Flynn's Rocky Mountain. I don't know that you've seen it since it is a relatively minor film when compared to others he did. The film is not available on DVD (no great surprise) but it's also not available on VHS either (as far as I know). I see that TCM has it in their library so hopefully some day they will show it (maybe on his birthday or something). Flynn ended up marrying the film's female lead - Patrice Wymore (she was wife #3 I think).

Anyway, like you, I haven't seen Major Dundee in quite a few years so I'm eager to see if it still has the same magic. I'm sure glad my cable company is pretty reliable (and doesn't come with the burden of any "unique" aspects to their service as yours tends to do).
My cable company usually doesn't test on TCM before midnight.....So I guess I'll be ok as long as a thunderstorm doesn't roll in

As far as Rocky Mountain is concerned, I don't recall ever having seen it before........Please post a reminder and send me an e-mail if TCM ever schedules it. That's certainly a movie I wouldn't want to miss.

Back to Dundee for a moment ~ It's been so long since I've seen it the finer details are not very fresh. I do remember that I really loved that film. Something tells me it will hold that "same magic" this time around.

Thanks again for the post. You always have something great to add my friend.
Old 11-12-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As far as Rocky Mountain is concerned, I don't recall ever having seen it before........Please post a reminder and send me an e-mail if TCM ever schedules it.
You can count on it! And if by chance you happen to be out of town or something, and you don't acknowledge the reminder/e-mail, I'll be sure to have someone tape a copy for you; we Flynn fans have to stick together!

Thanks again for the post. You always have something great to add my friend.
A heartfelt thank you!

Though you give me too much credit. I "cut my teeth" primarily in threads with you, Dimension X, and some other fine folks here at DVDTalk, so all I'm doing is simply following your fine lead.
Old 11-12-02, 02:28 PM

You can count on it! And if by chance you happen to be out of town or something, and you don't acknowledge the reminder/e-mail, I'll be sure to have someone tape a copy for you; we Flynn fans have to stick together!

A heartfelt thank you!

Though you give me too much credit. I "cut my teeth" primarily in threads with you, Dimension X, and some other fine folks here at DVDTalk, so all I'm doing is simply following your fine lead.

Be careful cutting those teeth.......Do that in the Otter Forum and it can be dangerous ~

Old 11-12-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Well, since my name was mentioned in this thread (even if somewhat cavalierly), I guess I should say something.

I forgot to set my DVD recorder for this movie.
Old 11-12-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dimension X
Well, since my name was mentioned in this thread (even if somewhat cavalierly...............
"cavalierly"........meaning you took some offense? That was not my intent. I was just trying to acknowledge and say thank you for your camaraderie here at DVDTalk these past few months.

I forgot to set my DVD recorder for this movie.
I've been there (well at least VCR-wise). So far this month, I've missed recording The Professionals and The Man from Laramie. Figures I miss two really good ones.

Had a chance to catch part of Major Dundee. I can see now that there must have been quite a bit chopped out of the film. But I enjoyed it nonetheless. Good theme music.
Old 11-12-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

flixtime - I wasn't offended, I was just messin' with ya.

Relax and go watch a gladiator movie.

BTW: I forgot to record The Man from Laramie too.

Thanks for reminding me.
Old 11-12-02, 10:49 PM

flixtime - I wasn't offended, I was just messin' with ya.

BTW: I forgot to record The Man from Laramie too.

Thanks for reminding me.

Dimension X ~ I'd be glad to send you a copy. I taped it but had company and didn't watch the movie yet.

Just a word of warning ~ As I think you know the quality of my TCM reception is less than perfect. No matter what I do to fix the contrast, picture, etc... things are a little off. Color pictures always have some contrast problems and many B&W movies seem too light while others are much better. I also tape in EP in order to save money on tapes, since I use so many.

However, if you want just send me an address and I'll send you a copy on the spot. From the two minutes I did see the picture looked good enough to watch.
Old 11-12-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Oops...i scanned through to see if there were any other threads on these TCM Western Marathons but missed this one ....anyway, i started up a thread that has the entire schedules for Thursday and Saturday and will continue to add them as they come closer for the rest of the month:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=250465

As a johnny-come-lately lover of westerns, i'm stoked that i'll be able to record a few of those Gems not yet on DVD....Once upon A time in the West is on tap Next Tuesday! I hope we can get some discussion going over at the other thread on some of the more obscure titles.....
Old 11-13-02, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dimension X ~ I'd be glad to send you a copy.
Thanks, but I don't think that will be necessary. I didn't see it on TCM's schedule in the near future, but I think I can wait until they show it again. I have a lot of DVD-Rs and tapes with movies I've recorded from TCM (plus over half my DVDs) yet to watch. If you sent me a copy I'd just add it to one of the stacks. But again, thanks for the kind offer.
Old 11-13-02, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would but I think I've seen them all - multiple times .

Plus, I'm a little ticked off this morning as I set my VCR last night with the incorrect runtime for The Big Sky, so I didn't get the last 15 minutes on tape. Maybe we should start a thread about "TCM: VCR/DVD Recorder/"Unique" Cable Service mishaps"........only kidding.