Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Return policies for Gamestop and KB Toys

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-02, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return policies for Gamestop and KB Toys

Simple question, what are the return policies for these two places on open games with a receipt? Like do you have 7 days, 14 days etc. to return a game? Also do you get a full refund or store credit? If I remember, Gamestop refunded my credit card before, but I don't remember how many days I had.
Old 11-09-02, 06:14 PM

7 days at Gamestop if it is in perfect condition.
Old 11-10-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Open games can only be returned for the same title at KB unless there are some sort of extenuating circumstances. Unopen games can be returned for a refund with a receipt within 30 days or with no receipt within 30 days for store credit or an exchange.

~Scheherazade
Old 11-10-02, 09:28 AM

How can they know it's within 30 days if you have no receipt?
Old 11-10-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess thats true, but with no receipt games are able to be returned for store credit...

A) Assuming KB carries the item.
B) At the lowest price it has been offered.

So if you return a game that's 49.99 with no receipt, but they had it on sale at any time in the past for 39.99, you'd get 39.99. That's if the manager onduty bothers to check the books for it.

The 30 days was a faux pas on my part, sorry And keep in mind they cannot be opened.

~Scheherazade
Old 11-10-02, 08:56 PM
Banned

Guess what? I'm Mike_AA and I will keep coming back even though I got suspended and then banned. This is my fourth username. I have no life and only exist to bother you people.
Old 11-10-02, 10:37 PM

Yes but they(EB) only give store credit now, and that return is final!!!
Just another reason to go to Gamestop.
Old 11-11-02, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gamestop will give me a cash refund on an opened and played game within 7 days? I thought their policy was the same as EB stores, where you get 14 days to return open games so long as you pick another game. If Gamestop is giving cash refunds on opened games, well, I will have to look back into Gamestop.
Old 11-11-02, 03:22 AM
Banned

Guess what? I'm Mike_AA and I will keep coming back even though I got suspended and then banned. This is my fourth username. I have no life and only exist to bother you people.
Old 11-11-02, 11:22 AM

where i live it seems the gamestops have changed their policy to not allow PS2 and Xbox games that are opened to be returned. they were telling me they could only be exchanged for the same disc, kinda a similar policy to other retailers. but for some reason gamecube games were still under the old policy. it's probably YMMV, but i was kinda bummed when they told me. btw i'm in ann arbor, mi.
Old 11-11-02, 11:42 PM
Banned

All the mall video game stores I know like EBX and Babbages no longer accept open returns for cash. You can exchange it for another game, but you can't return that second game.
Old 11-12-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I think most mall stores have wisened up and limited the amount of exchanges you can do with one purchase. So you can't purchase a game, beat it, exchange it, beat the second game, exchange it again, and again and again like you could in the past. It's amazing the number of people who abused this policy.

Of course, the drawback of a policy like this is that these stores will reshrinkwrap the returned games and sell it to you as a new game. This is the only way they can allow these kinds of exchanges and still make money. So you need to be very careful and make sure the top label is intact when you buy a "new" game.
Old 11-12-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We've had people take advantage of our system. It is up to the manager onduty at a KB Toys whether to accept open video or not, but unless there is some act of god (or District Manager) you won't get cash back, even with them unopened and without a receipt.

Recently we had a woman buy 6 or 7 games at a KB of titles she had stolen somewhere. She then turned around and tried to return those games without the receipt which we ended up having to do because she wouldn't let up, kept calling and complaining to her and our other superiors. So we give her her money back, days later she's in another store returning the same games WITH a receipt.

What I don't get is why she even bought them to begin with when all she had to do was return the stolen ones without the receipt... oh well, people don't make sense.

At any rate, it's not just a problem with people copying software, it's also people stealing it then trying to return it, or buying it used and trying to get full price back.

We have another guy who constantly steals toys from somewhere then comes to our store to return them. Even with store credit he's making free money.

~Scheherazade
Old 11-18-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So this works at Babbages for used games as well if you pick one up and don't really like it, you can get store credit for it (within the allowed time period)?