Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reign of Fire & Insomnia w/DTS

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-08-02, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd pass on this information.
Insomnia with DTS is already out in R3 Hong Kong (my copy is in transit as I type) and Reign of Fire, also with a DTS track, will be out 11/19.
I knew if I waited long enough another region would step up to the plate and give us the DTS track. By this I mean I didn't plan on buying it when it was announced since it hasn't been released here yet either.
A great sounding movie and once again R1 gets the shaft.
Old 11-09-02, 07:03 AM

Just to give you the info, but Reign Of Fire also has dts in region 1.
Also Bad Company and Beauty And The Beast Echanted Christmas have dts on them.

Just thought you would like to know

Greetz
Old 11-09-02, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Reign of Fire & Insomnia w/DTS

Originally posted by mr.rs
A great sounding movie and once again R1 gets the shaft.
It's not as though the movie will sound any better. The movie isn't getting a new sound mix. All the Hong Kong studio (if indeed it is a studio and not a bootlegger) is doing is taking the existing DD 5.1 track and running it through a DTS encoder so that the display on your receiver's front panel will shine a different logo.
Old 11-09-02, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Quinty
Just to give you the info, but Reign Of Fire also has dts in region 1.
I double checked this release at several of the larger web stores and they all list only a Dolby track, no DTS.
Old 11-09-02, 10:17 AM

Re: Re: Reign of Fire & Insomnia w/DTS

Originally posted by Josh Z
It's not as though the movie will sound any better. The movie isn't getting a new sound mix. All the Hong Kong studio (if indeed it is a studio and not a bootlegger) is doing is taking the existing DD 5.1 track and running it through a DTS encoder so that the display on your receiver's front panel will shine a different logo.
Why would the movie not sound better?
The movie was released with a DTS track so why would they not use it?
Maybe I'm being naive and all of my other region DTS dvds are a farce as well.
Old 11-09-02, 10:19 AM

That's correct mr.rs because it wasn't announced as such on the official press-release.
But I can asure you it does have dts, I own a copy already and it has dts sound.

Greetz,
Old 11-09-02, 10:33 AM

Well Quinty, this is one time I don't mind being wrong.
Thanks alot for the info.
Old 11-09-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Reign of Fire & Insomnia w/DTS

Why would the movie not sound better?
The movie was released with a DTS track so why would they not use it?
Whether the disc had a DTS theatrical mix has nothing to do with what appears on home video. The Dolby Digital and DTS codecs for theatrical distribution are completely different than their home versions. The soundtrack must be re-encoded for home video regardless of which sound formats it had theatrically.

Warner Bros is not big on DTS for DVD releases. They only prepared a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix for their Insomnia DVD. The studio releasing it overseas simply takes their DD track and runs it through a DTS encoder. That's it. That's all there is to it.
Old 11-09-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Josh Z: ...thank you for clearing that up... it gets so damned tiresome hearing triumphant announcements about all those "fabulous" pseudo-DTS soundtracks on HK discs (often enough paired with non-anamorphic widescreen transfers or, worse, p&s transfers, which oddly, don't get lambasted - because, after all, it's got "DTS") and about how Region 1 gets shafted and yaddayadda...

. . . . . .
Old 11-09-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Getting back to the original topic for those interested..............

Any word on extras for the Reign of Fire disc?
Don't see anything listed on the HK sites and would like to know anything if you have the info.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-02, 11:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Reign of Fire & Insomnia w/DTS

Originally posted by Josh Z
The studio releasing it overseas simply takes their DD track and runs it through a DTS encoder. That's it. That's all there is to it.
So you're saying that if I were to contact DTS directly they would tell me that they've never released a Insomnia DTS track for dvd in any region and that the HK release is a forgery.
I'm not saying you are wrong and I know it has happened but there are several HK DTS dvds listed on the official DTS site.
Surely you're not gonna tell me they're all BS.
Old 11-10-02, 05:23 AM

A foreign studio can have a dts track on their dvdrelease when the American release does not.
It's a official dts track and is mixed at a normal sound studio.

In order for a foreign studio (like Universal Laser did with Insomnia) to have a dts track on their dvd they have to pay rights for this track to the studio.
If they do they can use a dts track on their dvd's while the R1
release does not.
This is a simple decission a studio makes , they don't want to
spend the money or they do.

This is what a studio from my country told me when I asked them how they got their dts tracks.

Just thought I ought to tell you all

Greetz,
Old 11-10-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reign of Fire & Insomnia w/DTS

So you're saying that if I were to contact DTS directly they would tell me that they've never released a Insomnia DTS track for dvd in any region and that the HK release is a forgery.
I'm not saying you are wrong and I know it has happened but there are several HK DTS dvds listed on the official DTS site.
Surely you're not gonna tell me they're all BS.
I'm not saying they are forgeries. The foreign studio still has to pay DTS for the use of their encoder and their logo on the packaging. They are "official" DTS releases. They just don't benefit much at all from that fact.

Think of it this way: Columbia TriStar's "SuperBit" DVD releases, in addition to maximizing the bit rate, usually also have a fresh film-to-video remaster to help improve picture quality. If Columbia TriStar took one of their older DVD releases that had a crappy transfer and didn't remaster the video, they could still maximize the bit rate and send it to market as an official SuperBit release. But it's still going to look like crap, because the transfer hasn't been improved at all.