Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on De Palma's FEMME FATALE

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Thoughts on De Palma's FEMME FATALE

Old 11-03-02, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Femme Fatale- anyone heard of this movie?

has anyone heard anything about this movie? Who stars in it? What's the plot etc? What's the buzz about this upcoming movie? Is it a mainstream movie or a independent film? is anyone here going to see this film?
Old 11-03-02, 07:11 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Femme Fatale is the new film from Brian De Palma. Here's a link that should answer some of your questions:

IMDB Link

Its opening in my area this Wednesday and I'm planning on catching it. I think its a mainstream film, since they have Rebecca Stamos on the cover of the new Maxim, promoting the film.

Old 11-03-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would look semi interesting if the trailer didn't preface by hyping Brian dePalma as "The Master of the Erotic Thriller." I can't think of what qualifies him for that title, and I'm actually suprised the campaign even is trying to highlight him as the director. With his recent track record, I'd downplay his involvement all together hoping people wouldn't remember that this is the guy who used organ music in a sci-fi action scene!

Other than that, if what I hear about a hot lesbian scene with RRS is true, then I may give some points to dePalma. As long as he leaves out the harmonium.
Old 11-03-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the man who brought you "Bonfire of the Vanities" and "Mission to Mars", "Master of Erotic Thriller" Brian DePalma. Starring the Chick who Married Uncle Joey from Full House.
Old 11-04-02, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LBPound
Starring the Chick who Married Uncle Joey from Full House.
You mean Uncle Jesse, right?
Old 11-04-02, 11:17 AM

didn't he direct "fatal attraction"
Old 11-04-02, 11:53 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally posted by sleeper13
didn't he direct "fatal attraction"
No, that was Adrian Lynne.

This movie looks like classic DePalma.

I can't wait!
Old 11-04-02, 12:03 PM
Banned

This does indeed look like Classic DePalma, I hope it's good!

For the record, Obsesion, Dressed to Kill, and Body Double are all DePalma films, all erotic thrillers, and all excellent.
Old 11-04-02, 04:11 PM

This movie is going to BOMB!
Old 11-04-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I hate to say this but, no wait, I don't hate to say this. This movie will bomb and deserves to do so.

In all honesty, DePalma is not that talented anymore and he never really was aside from Scarface IMO. Most of the time DePalma has good actors and screenwriters to propel his less than stellar work.
Before you pull out Mission:Impossible let me say that it had enough higher names in it in terms of producing,writing, and stars that it could have gone on without his involvement.
I doubt this movie will do anything more than further tarnish his repuation. DePalma has a unique visual style, but the same can be said for many directors.
Old 11-04-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Scarface was great, Carrie was great, Dressed to Kill, and Body Double were pretty damn good and Sisters was creepy as hell.

But out of all his movies Bonfire of the Vanities and Mission to Mars are the first mentioned.
Old 11-04-02, 04:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Where's the love for The Untouchables? Another great DePalma film.
Old 11-04-02, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by joltaddict
Scarface was great, Carrie was great, Dressed to Kill, and Body Double were pretty damn good and Sisters was creepy as hell.

But out of all his movies Bonfire of the Vanities and Mission to Mars are the first mentioned.
Not to mention The Untouchables gives everyone on this board a stiffy. Why is this guy being so heavily criticized?
Old 11-04-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I forgot the Untouchables. Blowout too.
Old 11-04-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Where's the love for The Untouchables? Another great DePalma film.
Sean Connery's kick a$$ performance aside, that wasn't a very good movie. Also, it falls into the category of having good screenwriters and actors invovled (though Costner was awful). David Mamet wrote the script, and it did have Connery for Pete's sake.

Carlito's Way had Pacino carrying it. M:I had Cruise, and Carrie never really impressed me much aside from a good performance by Spaceck. Dressed to Kill had Michael Caine.

I think Bonfire of the Vanities, M2M, and Snake Eyes speak for themselves. Also, Body Double was mediocre at best.

Finally, where's the glory in a Rebecca Romjin Stamos flick if you don't get to see her goodies?

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 11-04-02 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-04-02, 04:47 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Let's not forget about the underappreciated 70s thriller, Obsession.
Old 11-04-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by criptik28
You mean Uncle Jesse, right?
Yes, I do mean Uncle Jessie. Dave Coulier's always on the brain, so I just made a slip.
Old 11-04-02, 06:04 PM

and dont forget Sisters as well as the afor mentioned Blow Out and Obsession why even Phantom Of The Paradise is worth a look btw imo DePalma was one of the best films makes of the late 70's and early 80's
Old 11-04-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

DePalma needs this one...

If DePalma goes into his over-the-top, seemingly out of control mode (read: Dressed to Kill, Body Double, Scarface, etc.) it may at very least be hugely watchable, even if it is ultimately risible. Given his career trajectory of late, I'm banking he's going to go all out, if for no other reason than to generate controversy / discussion / ticket sales.
Old 11-04-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No one has mentioned The Fury so I will. Not one of his best or worst. Also no one has mentioned the stinker Raising Cain or the underrated Casualties of War.

De Palma, IMO, has directed many very good movies and has had his share of bad movies too. I've been looking forward to Femme Fatale. If it has a good script I see no reason why it can't be good.

De Palma has always generated love and hate for his films with audiences.
Old 11-04-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Odd. My girl friend just called me at work to tell me she had two free preveiw passes to this, wanting to know if I wanted to go.; i said "Why not." but after reading the reviews at Rottentomatoes.com (17 % out of about 12 reviews) I think not. I think the only way I can get out of this is to finally go see Bowling for Columbine. I keep stalling her but it looks like I'm trapped.

Femme Fatal doesn't even look like a rental.
Old 11-04-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

only for rebecca...
i'mjustahornycollegestudentwhohassexonthebrain...
Old 11-05-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I saw it last night and felt it was just an average movie. Nothing really stood out about it. It seem to drag on in parts and the performances were ordinary.

I'd give it a 5,
Spoiler:
but because there's a lot of T&A, I'll give it a 7. Hot girls making out has to count for something.
Old 11-05-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ahh, American cinephiles undying love for DePalma who is revered for his cinematic accomplishments in France but derided here in the US. DePalma fully admits he's a visual stylist first and foremost and his "love" for Hitchcock....This is the first movie he's written and directed since Raising Cain, which is a creepy, cool flick...Seeing it for the 'DePalma' factor not the anorexic, washed up model, two bit blonde actress...though that doesn't hurt
Old 11-06-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It is pretty sad...perhas... even ironic to see quite a few people criticizing DePalma...fr the single fact that half of you were probably not even born when some of his great movies were made. When BODY DOUBLE first came out FOR EXAMPLE it was quite a shock for many......it had something no other movie offered at the time....IT trully was a thriler......a classic one in my humble opinion.,....

I bet that if I ask half of you to mentined 7-8 of DePalma's movies without instantly running to IMDB you wont even be able to quote a few(or maybe the few recent ones that "explained" DePalma to you).....

All in all.....I am not trying to be mean here but DePalma is a name that should carry enough respect to all of you that pretend to be movie pundits. Criticizing for the sake of doing so is no good.

Last but not least....I WILL MOST DEFINITELY BE SEEING THE MOVIE...and I wish it nothing but success!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.