Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

On what format did you first watch Sports Night?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: On what formart did you first watch Sports Night?
When it first aired on ABC
60.00%
In syndication on Comedy Central
20.00%
On DVD
11.43%
Sports what?
8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

On what format did you first watch Sports Night?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you first watch Sports Night?

I watched a few episodes of Sports Night on Comedy Central and now I have the DVD set and I'm hooked!

I'm just curious how most people are familiar with this series...

Last edited by jarofclay73; 11-08-02 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-08-02, 06:40 AM

I watched Sports Night on ABC after TV Guide called it the best show that you're not watching. I watched a few eps on Comedy Central, but the disjointed editing between the opening sequence and title credits made it almost unbearable.

Definitely buying the dvd set!
Old 11-08-02, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Started from the beginning on ABC.
Old 11-08-02, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i didn't get going until the CC reruns but i recorded all of them without commercials. i got my set yesterday. i was going to watch spider man but chose to watch sports night instead.
Old 11-08-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Barings •<HR SIZE=1>I watched Sports Night on ABC after TV Guide called it the best show that you're not watching. I watched a few eps on Comedy Central, but the disjointed editing between the opening sequence and title credits made it almost unbearable.<HR SIZE=1>

Agreed. Those Comedy Central cuts were brutal. I didn't get them on VHS until CC ran them, though. Then I made VCDs of the episodes at 3 eps/disc (with better menus than the DVD too ) to give to my friend who were ignorant of the show's greatness.

Now I have the DVDs. They're nothing spectacular, but it doesn't really matter, since the show's so damn good. It boggles the mind that there are people who actually saw this show and didn't like it.

das
Old 11-08-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Now I have the DVDs. They're nothing spectacular, but it doesn't really matter, since the show's so damn good.
Agreed. Plus, I love the fact that I could get *both* seasons together in nice, compact packaging for about $35 at Amazon (after discounts). You can't go wrong with that!
Old 11-08-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched it when they first aired on ABC. I was hooked from the first episode (did anyone else almost come to tears during the late night phone call to Casey's son? Wow.) I watched the entire first season, and most of the second, but there may have been a TV conflict that season since I may have missed some key episodes- especially the final episode. Now I can finally catch up on DVD.
Old 11-08-02, 09:42 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by das Monkey
I made VCDs of the episodes at 3 eps/disc (with better menus than the DVD too ) to give to my friend who were ignorant of the show's greatness.
das
I think this show sucks. Hook it up!
Old 11-08-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember reading about it in the paper on the day the pilot aired. It said something about "the fastest 30 mins on TV" and if I'm not mistaken, it ran right after Spin City which I regularly watched so I checked it out after and was hooked from the beginning. Before the DVDs came out, I'd been setting my VCR's timer to record from 330-4am just so I could watch a couple of eps whenever I felt like it.
Old 11-08-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm so glad this came out on DVD. A buddy of mine got me hooked on it once it hit CC (and with my TiVo, didn't have to stay up late to watch it, either). What a great show. Very sad it didn't last more than two seasons, but I think it was way ahead of it's time. If it were to debut today, I think it would do much better in the ratings than it did.
Old 11-08-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Caught most of the episodes on the ABC airings - and just started watching the DVD set. The only problem is : how to keep from being greedy and watching 6 or 7 in one gulp.
Old 11-08-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
The only problem is : how to keep from being greedy and watching 6 or 7 in one gulp.
I have the same problem. I just can't stop watching it once I start. Even when I go home for lunch, I pop a disc in and just watch while I eat.
Old 11-08-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Comedy Central. Saw a few episodes last fall and over Christmas break, and I liked it. Would like to rent or buy the DVD set sometime.
Old 11-08-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
According to netflix, my rentals should arrive Monday. I've never seen it before. Can't wait!

(Is this the part where I say something about shoes and money?)
Old 11-08-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
ABC
Old 11-08-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by adamblast
(Is this the part where I say something about shoes and money?)
"Right now ... this very moment ... how much do you love me?"

das

P.S. Can't leave you hanging on to just one quote.
Old 11-08-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I saw it on ABC amazingly enough as I hate sports, and shouldn't have given this show the time of day. Just goes to show what good writing, directing and acting will do for a project. Kinda like how I love the Sixth Sense even though I think
Spoiler:
ghost
stories are usually kinda silly, especially revolving around little kids.

I've also caught a few on CC, and will be putting the DVDs on my Christmas list. (I can't stop buying Magic cards long enough to get it myself, damn heroin laced cardboard)
Old 11-08-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I remember when it first aired of ABC, then I remember getting screwed when they dropped it.
Old 11-09-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I freaking watched that show right when it started on ABC. I really liked it and when ABC cancelled it, I pretty much stopped watching that network.

I bought the DVDs.

Matt
Old 11-09-02, 12:58 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"What are you, nuts? Are you just some... nutty nut-girl who's nuts?"

The DVDs look great... well, a heck of a lot better than the tapes I made of the Comedy Central airings.
Old 11-09-02, 03:36 AM

Sorry to jump off topic; I just didn't feel like making another thread. Can you people who watched it from the beginning tell me if the first season ever aired without a laugh-track? I picked up on it around the second, but I thought I remembered seeing first season episodes without it. Maybe I'm just going crazy. I can't think of any reason that the laugh track would be added for syndication, or if there is a version without it, why that wouldn't be provided on the DVDs.
Old 11-09-02, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just received the DVD set a couple days ago, and am already on episode 4. GREAT show, and I was really surprised when it was cancelled after season 2.
Old 11-09-02, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I watched it from the very beginning since I was a Spin City fan it they just merged right after each other. It always pissed me off that there were shows that had worse ratings that stayed on the air but ABC just wouldn't stick up for Sports Night. My DVD's should arrive on Tuesday and I can't wait.
battboyy, if memory serves the laugh track didn't last the entire first season and thankfully they got rid of it.
Old 11-09-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by battboyy
Sorry to jump off topic; I just didn't feel like making another thread. Can you people who watched it from the beginning tell me if the first season ever aired without a laugh-track? I picked up on it around the second, but I thought I remembered seeing first season episodes without it. Maybe I'm just going crazy. I can't think of any reason that the laugh track would be added for syndication, or if there is a version without it, why that wouldn't be provided on the DVDs.
I remember the annoying laugh track mainly for the pilot episode. The rest of the season there were little or no laugh tracks.

I finally finished the first season and I finally realized that the actress who played Rebecca is Teri Polo (who also played Ben Stiller's flame in "Meet The Parents"). I really liked the chemistry between her and Josh Charles (Dan Rydell).

I started the second season and right now I'm not really liking Peter Krause's butch cut and Felicity Huffman's long hair. But, oh well. Somehow I have a feeling that season 2 won't top season 1.
Old 11-10-02, 12:35 AM

Kal Jedi wrote:
I remember reading about it in the paper on the day the pilot aired. It said something about "the fastest 30 mins on TV"
True dat, but is anyone disappointed by the lack of chapter stops in the individual episodes themselves (i.e. there is a single chapter stop between the end of one and beginning of next episode only)?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.