Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How varied are your tastes?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy most anime, in all of its sub-genres. I also like sci-fi/fantasy, comedy, horror, mystery, action, adventure, drama, westerns, musicals, classics, foreign, and some romantic comedies.

Today, I just watched His and Her Circumstances Vol. 1 (teen romance/comedy anime) followed by Peter Jackson's Bad Taste (great low budget sci-fi splatterfest!)
Old 11-07-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I like just about every genre, except romantic comedy.
Old 11-08-02, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Quite.
Old 11-08-02, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm open to all genre. Only requirement is that the story be interesting and characters be original.
Old 11-08-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
I don't think that there are any genres I would not watch. Some genres set the bar so low that I have no interest in watching them. I've seen a lot of good westerns, but no good slasher movies. Life's too short to winnow through all that chaff.
Old 11-08-02, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
I tend to gravitate towards the serious stuff: Dramas, Foreign Films, Documentaries, selected Horror and Suspense.

I generally avoid Comedies (with exceptions), Hollywood action flicks (with exceptions), Romances, commercial Hollywood movies as a whole.

I almost invariably dislike Musicals and Westerns.

That's just my taste.
Old 11-08-02, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like just about everything except for westerns.
Old 11-08-02, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like most everything. I am somebody who owns Shiloh and Pulp Fiction and a little of everything else in between.
Old 11-08-02, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I really envy people who have limited tastes, and therefore can focus their time (and money!).

Me, however - well, let's just say that I can get as excited by something like Killer Klowns From Outer Space and Earth Girls Are Easy as by Andrei Rubelev and Citizen Kane.
Old 11-08-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't limit my tastes either... I like just about anything that entertains, interests or challenges me in the right way...doesn't really matter what genre it is!

MATT
Old 11-08-02, 09:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
With the exception of "The Wild Bunch" I really don't care for Westerns.
Old 11-08-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it has a good story, good acting, and is told in an interesting way, I'll probably like it. I'm not big on westerns, though, I do like High Noon.
Old 11-08-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i'm a tasteless slob as far as comedy goes (i loved ca-ca like 'dude, where's my car?')...but i also like dramas, documentaries, action flicks not starring steven seagal, and horror movies. it honestly just depends on my mood at the time.
Old 11-08-02, 10:50 AM
Banned

Movies? I like both kinds....color AND black and white
Old 11-08-02, 10:55 AM
Banned

Hmm..I like all genre excepts Westerns, well I liked The Quick and the Dead if you count that. What else..ah yes Anime..well its not genre but I stay far away from it as possible. I like smart sci-fi, the Gattaca, Dark City type. Try to stay away from PG13 action, comedy, but PG13 adventure is good. Don't dig chick flicks. I like musicals, proud owner of Singin In The Rain and oh yes Documentaries bore me. Some are good but most are suck.
Old 11-08-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I like just about everything except for most horror films (I like the occasional one) and I even like a romantic comedy once in a while. I don't watch anime, though, nothing against it, just haven't given it a chance.
Old 11-08-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sci Fi (Star Trek, Star Wars, MIB, Titan AE, Spiderman, Superman, LotR)
War Movies (SPR, We Were Soldiers, BOB, Black Hawk Down, World at War)
Family Movies (Toy Story, Monster Inc, Man from Snowy River, Family Man...)
Romantic Comedies (Love to watch with wife)
Old movies (Ben-Hur, Snow White, Sound of Music, Ten Commandments, Cassablanca)
Old 11-08-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My tastes have changed over the years. I mainly watch foreign, documentaries, drama, indie and suspense. I'll watch some comedies, but only if they are done well and not mindless fluff.

I used to love watching horror films and teenage exploitation films when I was in junior high and high school. Then I started working at a video store and widened my viewing choices.

My best friend is always trying to get me to go see movies like Jackass, but I just have no interest in seeing movies like that at all.
Old 11-08-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I think my tastes are pretty varied. My favorites are anything quirky and bizarre; David Lynch is my favorite director. I also love suspense, film noir and neo-noir. Independent, foreign, classics, drama, action and sci-fi are all good too. As for comedy, I love comedies that can actually make me laugh. I even love some gross-out comedies. But I tend not to like just plain dumb comedies, such as Dude, Where's My Car. Horror movies, I prefer psychological horror or films that give a sense of dread. I don't care for slasher flicks. I like some westerns and war films. Even some musicals. The only genre I have never been able to get into is anime.

All I ask is that a film entertain me and allow me into its world. Comedies must make me laugh. Action films are generally not too intelligent by rule, but they can't be preposterously stupid (End of Days). If the story isn't a test for the brain, the film must succeed on other levels. Any film that relies on effects better not look cheap.

I guess I can't really define how I decide what I will like, I just know it.
Old 11-09-02, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

always exceptions but for the most part i like comedies, action, adventure, suspense

dislike westerns, horror, musicals, classics, foreigns, amine (no exceptions with anime)
Old 11-09-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like disturbing films. Cronenberg is as far as I'll go. I won't watch Salo, and don't want to watch Audition.
I don't like horror. The Japanese version of the Ring scared the heck out of me.
I love a good action movie. Especially one with visual styles I've never seen before.
I also can watch a romantic comedy, as long as its good.
I can also watch teeny-bopper films.
I'm a bit tired of artfilms, and watch films based more on their director, more than anything else.
Certain types of indie films, I hate, and other types I love. I like Wes Anderson and K. Smith and R. Rodriguez. I am still ambivalent about Roman Coppola, coz I've never seen CQ yet. I liked Ghost World, not for what it stood for, but coz it was a good story.
I'm not into mafia movies, though I liked Untouchables.
A good comedy always makes me happy, but a bad one can make you avoid movies all together.
But basically I'm an action junkie, action, action, action, especially ones with happy endings.
Old 11-09-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

joey: yeah i also never enjoyed mafia movies even though they are very popular.

action works for me too! my favs are action/comedy flix - rush hour 1/2, bad boys, bad company, and now i spy...
Old 11-09-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like all different kinds of movies.... as long as they are enjoyable
Old 11-09-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I like GOOD movies

That said, i'll give some props to the genre of Westerns....i love em!! About the only movies i don't generally like are the mindless action big budget kind...but even those'll do on a rainy day. Don't much care for Anime either...never did anything for me. And sci-fi has to be very very good to get me going....
Old 11-10-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atari2600
joey: yeah i also never enjoyed mafia movies even though they are very popular.

action works for me too! my favs are action/comedy flix - rush hour 1/2, bad boys, bad company, and now i spy...
kewl, I liked Bad Boys too which I think gave Michael Bay his respect and I am interested in seeing I Spy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.