Reload this Page >

Why can't the XBOX get COOL ports?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-07-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that sounds like a juvenile subject line, but how else could I get anyone's attention?

I'm going through my PC collection and started to wonder - why doesn't the XBOX get any good ports of PC titles? Especially if it is so easy to port between the two platforms?

I mean, what would be better than to get a port of No One Lives Forever 2? Or Deus Ex?

It just seems like there are 10 great PC games for every XBOX port. Why?

I would love to see TRON 2.0 get an XBOX exclusive timeframe. Any other ideas?

Jeremy
Old 11-07-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My biggest complaint as an Xbox owner is why none of the great Microsoft PC titles like Combat Flight Simulator, Age of Empires, etc have been brought to the Xbox.

Microsoft is very stupid to not bring over their best games to their console. Instead they bring us crap like NFL Fever and Inside Drive. MS has very little common sense as a game publisher.
Old 11-07-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by darkside
little common sense
Good God, I think a little common sense would be ideal for any company I think there should be a degree called "Common Senses logistics"
Old 11-07-02, 06:39 PM

My biggest complaint as an Xbox owner is why none of the great Microsoft PC titles like Combat Flight Simulator, Age of Empires, etc have been brought to the Xbox.

Microsoft is very stupid to not bring over their best games to their console. Instead they bring us crap like NFL Fever and Inside Drive. MS has very little common sense as a game publisher.
Huh? So Midtown Madness, Crimson Skies and the Mech series don't count? RTS's and flight simulators wouldn't translate to console as well as those games will.
Old 11-07-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Huh? So Midtown Madness, Crimson Skies and the Mech series don't count? RTS's and flight simulators wouldn't translate to console as well as those games will.
Those are coming and are welcomed. However, the RTS and Flight Sims don't translate to a console arguement doesn't work for me. I find it very hard to believe MS couldn't come up with a version of Flight Sim and Age of Empires for the Xbox. Yes, they would have to come up with a reworking for the controls, but it could be done.

The new Age of Mythology looks incredible and I would gladly pay $50 for an Xbox version.

Last edited by darkside; 11-07-02 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-07-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i can't imagine playing rts games on a console... how do you play w/out a mouse?
Old 11-07-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by young
i can't imagine playing rts games on a console... how do you play w/out a mouse?
Why couldn't Microsoft just release a mouse for the Xbox? Sony has the option on the PSX and PS2.

If not I think it could be done with the analog stick. Starcraft was released for the N64.
Old 11-07-02, 08:03 PM

Why couldn't Microsoft just release a mouse for the Xbox? Sony has the option on the PSX and PS2.
Oh no, not this again.
Old 11-07-02, 08:57 PM

I think a lot of Microsoft's reluctance stems from their need to differentiate the XBox from the PC.
Old 11-07-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by vinhj
I think a lot of Microsoft's reluctance stems from their need to differentiate the XBox from the PC.
Thats probably a big part of it. I know they wanted to stay as far away from that as possible.

Hopefully more PC titles will make there way over though. I for one will get Crimson Skies.
Old 11-08-02, 01:20 AM

RTS games never sold well on console. Flight sims on console, heh. They could make one like Steel Battalion.
Old 11-08-02, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Maybe XBOX is geared for wider audiences? Maybe they're more interested in the average gameplayers who spend more and more on console games every year and NOT the computer geek?

i.e. ME an average console gameplayer.

I hate paying games on the computer. That's what consoles are for. The last time I did...it was DOOM II.

Maybe they're looking to do something new and while keeping the game rehashing to a minimum?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-08-02 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-08-02, 05:54 AM

MS isn't doing a very good job at differentiating themselves from the PC. They've been after PCish games and not working extremely hard on improving Japanese third-party relations as articles suggested. You need Japanese games to have the console flavor in your little "PC," Microsoft.
Old 11-08-02, 11:00 AM

While my taste in videogames isn't geared toward the Japanese style of games (I prefer American style RPG's, racing games, and FPS's) I do agree that MS needs to bulk-up their software department to include Japanese hits; just to cover a broader range of audiences if anything.
Whether or not it is a necessity to be successful in North America is questionable. Afterall, PC gaming has been doing just fine even when #Japanese games < #American/Europe games.
Old 11-08-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Centurion
While my taste in videogames isn't geared toward the Japanese style of games (I prefer American style RPG's, racing games, and FPS's) I do agree that MS needs to bulk-up their software department to include Japanese hits; just to cover a broader range of audiences if anything.
Whether or not it is a necessity to be successful in North America is questionable. Afterall, PC gaming has been doing just fine even when #Japanese games < #American/Europe games.
I think that has a lot to do with the price of PC games in Japan. Aren't they like the equivalent of US$100 or something outrageous like that?

Plus, I read somewhere, and maybe it's not valid anymore, that telecom charges were so high that a lot of foreign gamers stayed away from online games, which were predominantly for the PC. Thus not a lot of PC game sales in Japan, aside from your Princess Maker and date sim titles.

Jeremy
Old 11-08-02, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by vinhj
This is exactly why we won't see PC ports to XBOX. MS has stated many times that they don't want the XBOX to be seen as just another PC. They want them to be completely different entities. Porting PC games over is just blurring the line they are trying so hard to draw between the two.

I wish they would though.
Old 11-08-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giantrobo
Maybe XBOX is geared for wider audiences? Maybe their more interested in the average gameplayers who spend more and more on console games every year and NOT the computer geek?

i.e. ME an average console gameplayer.

I hate paying games on the computer. That's what consoles are for. The last time I did...it was DOOM II.

Maybe they're looking to do something new and while keeping the game rehashing to a minimum?
considering how small the audience is right now for the XBox you might as well allow a few ports of great games to increase the audience a bit here.

It might not help much overseas however.

right now they are not winning the average console gamer war. Maybe they need to look beyond the console box and try to bring games that traditionally have not been console games to the XBox.

Halo was not a traditional game to bring to the XBox and it is the largest seller for them.