Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Thank you Amazon...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Thank you Amazon...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Amazon...

for shipping my Star Wars: Episode II AOTC DVD today. I guess you realize how much you've been losing when orders are cancelled because of much better deals days before the release date.
Old 11-06-02, 11:58 AM

The same goes to amazon.ca for my x-files seaon 6 DVD set.
Old 11-06-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Thank you Amazon...

Originally posted by Maryang Palad
for shipping my Star Wars: Episode II AOTC DVD today. I guess you realize how much you've been losing when orders are cancelled because of much better deals days before the release date.
I pre-ordered Star Wars 2 from Amazon.com a week or so ago and their order summary stated that they wouldn't be shipping my SW2 until around Nov 18 or so. Today I went to the web site to check on the status, it doesn't even say when it's shipping but that I can't changed my order anymore even though 18th is still almost 2 weeks away. Could this be Amazon's way of preventing people from cancelling their order when they see better deals elsewhere as you suggested?
Old 11-06-02, 12:44 PM

Re: Re: Thank you Amazon...

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I pre-ordered Star Wars 2 from Amazon.com a week or so ago and their order summary stated that they wouldn't be shipping my SW2 until around Nov 18 or so. Today I went to the web site to check on the status, it doesn't even say when it's shipping but that I can't changed my order anymore even though 18th is still almost 2 weeks away. Could this be Amazon's way of preventing people from cancelling their order when they see better deals elsewhere as you suggested?
We have the same shipping date and I don't expect anything from them until Nov 18th but was pleasantly surprised when I receive a shipping confirmation email today. I guess on your case, they'll ship it either today or tomorrow.
Old 11-06-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Thank you Amazon...

Originally posted by mookiemeister
They always ship sooner than what the expected ship date states. They are probably preparing your order to ship so you can no longer change the order. They'll probably ship your order within the next couple of days.
Old 11-06-02, 03:40 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I received my Spiderman from Amazon last Friday/Saturday and there was a large sticker at the front of the package telling the postmaster only to deliver it on 11/1 or after.

If Amazon keeps doing that, it doesn't matter how early they ship since your post office will probably hold it until the specified date.
Old 11-06-02, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by eau
I received my Spiderman from Amazon last Friday/Saturday and there was a large sticker at the front of the package telling the postmaster only to deliver it on 11/1 or after.

If Amazon keeps doing that, it doesn't matter how early they ship since your post office will probably hold it until the specified date.
My local post office wouldn't bother to look at a sticker like that. They aren't about to try to store items for delivery on a specific date because some private company puts a silly sticker on an item. I think that is Amazon's way of trying to comply with the studio's request that the movie not be delivered before the official release date. They can always say: "See we told the PO not to deliver until 11/1...it isn't our fault it was delivered early."
Old 11-07-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by maineiac
My local post office wouldn't bother to look at a sticker like that. They aren't about to try to store items for delivery on a specific date because some private company puts a silly sticker on an item. I think that is Amazon's way of trying to comply with the studio's request that the movie not be delivered before the official release date. They can always say: "See we told the PO not to deliver until 11/1...it isn't our fault it was delivered early."

I agree...
Old 11-09-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
My spiderman had a sticker too.

I'm just glad that Amazon IS now shipping before release date, even WITH the stickers!
Old 11-09-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Seeker
My spiderman had a sticker too.

I'm just glad that Amazon IS now shipping before release date, even WITH the stickers!
Now if they would just learn how to operate a website and not overcharge me so often I might actually place an order with them.

Of course then they might not make that extra money due to some people not noticing they were being overcharged so I guess it will never happen
Old 11-09-02, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Yep. My last order with Amazon.com. I have LotR:ED and AtoC in one order and it's "expected ship date" is next week (if I'm lucky). This is from an order I placed well over 2mos ago. That and the fact they will overcharge me, just like they did with my last order, I don't want to bother with them anymore.

Amazon.ca is a different story. They're nice and responsive and are willing to fix overcharges before they ship. So it's not like Amazon.com can't, they just don't want to.

What bothers me about that policy is that Amazon.com is running like a company that could go out of business any time, so they try and collect as much money as possible and hope their customers don't notice. I am seriously considering filing a complaint with my local Atourney General's office.
Old 11-09-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Now that we are all venting our frustration with amazon.com, I might as well add another one. So what's the deal with them charging tax on one order, then no tax on a subsequent order? Are they charging tax or not to California resident? Inquiring mind wants to know.
Old 11-09-02, 02:32 PM

I ordered lotr and aotc from amazon too and my ship date is november 17th. I called their cs phone number yesterday and they said that date was correct. It takes several extra days for them to get your order out the door when you choose the super saver shipping method. Would be nice if they were more upfront about this. Time to start an Official Amazon.com sucks thread.
Old 11-09-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jason978
I ordered lotr and aotc from amazon too and my ship date is november 17th. I called their cs phone number yesterday and they said that date was correct. It takes several extra days for them to get your order out the door when you choose the super saver shipping method. Would be nice if they were more upfront about this.
That is truly sad. I would think they could make a bit more of an effort to ship a couple of days prior to release. Shipping several days after release is just stupid. If mine doesn't ship today I will cancel. I can actually do a bit better on price locally and get it on release day.
Old 11-09-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having information about several orders on LOTR and AOTC, it DOES appear they have started shipping them, but there are a lot of orders, so probably they will be shipping them over the next few days.
Old 11-10-02, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My order for the 5-disc LOTR gift set from FIVE MONTHS ago still hasn't shipped and isn't scheduled to ship until the 14th, but it's not much of a big deal to me. And I paid for shipping, not the Free Super Saver Shipping. Amazon has proven to be good to the customer in several instances and it's not like it will take them two weeks from ship time like other e-tailers would.
Old 11-10-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm aware of 4 different orders for this: 1 for the 5 disc set, 3 for the 4 disc set.

All but one are now either in shipping soon or shipped.

The one that isn't is a 4disc order shipping with AOTC - that one is still "sitting" at the moment.
Old 11-10-02, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by jason978
I ordered lotr and aotc from amazon too and my ship date is november 17th. I called their cs phone number yesterday and they said that date was correct. It takes several extra days for them to get your order out the door when you choose the super saver shipping method. Would be nice if they were more upfront about this. Time to start an Official Amazon.com sucks thread.
You can say Amazon sucks all you want, but did you read the rules about Super Saver shipping?

Here's the rules about super saver shipping (from Amazon's web site):

~~~~~

How do I take advantage of free Super Saver Shipping?*

1. Place over $25 of eligible Amazon.com products in your Shopping Cart.**
(Eligible items are marked with our free shipping truck.)

2. Proceed to checkout.

3. Ship your items to a single U.S. address.

4. Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Note that order will take an additional 3 to 5 days to ship.

5. Select "Group my items into as few shipments as possible" as your shipping preference.

6. Place your order, and enjoy the free shipping!***

~~~~~

Usually I get the item earlier than the estimated arrival date.

If you want the item faster, pay for standard shipping, or expedited shipping.
Old 11-10-02, 01:58 PM
Banned

All that stuff would be great if they didn't charge you for "free" shipping combine with STL+Promo.
Old 11-10-02, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Eric F
All that stuff would be great if they didn't charge you for "free" shipping combine with STL+Promo.
I've done exactly what you describe and I got free shipping.

As it says in the rules for Super Saver, you get charged shipping for items that don't meet the rules. There must have been something in the order that didn't qualify for free shipping, the option "ship items separately" was picked, or "super saver" wasn't picked.

One thing I've noticed is Amazon's order confirmation page ALWAYS defaults to standard shipping, which means you get charged. You have to pick "Super Saver" to get the free shipping AND ship all items together (meaning it may take longer to ship the whole order).

Sometimes Amazon will ship separately at no cost to you, even though you picked "ship together".

Amazon still has not fixed the problem of promo coupons disappearing if an order is broken into multiple shipments, and the promo has expired. You can fix this by contacting Amazon customer support, but it still is a pain. Always save your order confirmation!!
Old 11-10-02, 03:18 PM
Banned

I'm not the only one having these problems. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it works for everyone.

And no, it's nothing I've done wrong. In fact in the order it shows "Supersaver Shipping: -$2.97" and then it says right after "Shipping: $2.97". Lol.

Customer support admits to the problem, but they refuse to fix it untill after the overcharge.
Old 11-10-02, 04:54 PM

Yea I checked the rules, I didnt see that though, guess i missed it or they just added it this past week. Oh well.

Originally posted by happypants
You can say Amazon sucks all you want, but did you read the rules about Super Saver shipping?

Here's the rules about super saver shipping (from Amazon's web site):

~~~~~

How do I take advantage of free Super Saver Shipping?*

1. Place over $25 of eligible Amazon.com products in your Shopping Cart.**
(Eligible items are marked with our free shipping truck.)

2. Proceed to checkout.

3. Ship your items to a single U.S. address.

4. Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Note that order will take an additional 3 to 5 days to ship.

5. Select "Group my items into as few shipments as possible" as your shipping preference.

6. Place your order, and enjoy the free shipping!***

~~~~~

Usually I get the item earlier than the estimated arrival date.

If you want the item faster, pay for standard shipping, or expedited shipping.
Old 11-10-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the shipping notification for AotC on Saturday morning and I placed the order this past Monday. I also got their Free Shipping and it says so on the order screen.

Too bad the mail doesn't move tomorrow.
Old 11-10-02, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Eric F
I'm not the only one having these problems. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it works for everyone.

And no, it's nothing I've done wrong. In fact in the order it shows "Supersaver Shipping: -$2.97" and then it says right after "Shipping: $2.97". Lol.

Customer support admits to the problem, but they refuse to fix it untill after the overcharge.
I looked at one of my other orders and that's how it shows up. Or, is there another line besides the two above that shows shipping?
Old 11-10-02, 10:54 PM
Banned

That's it. If it looks that way in your billing email "Paid by Visa" (MC, CC, whatever) when your order ships then you're being charged for shipping.

There are a number of threads about this. You need to send them email and request a refund. They know about it so they usually won't argue with you about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.