Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Driving games for PS2?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-06-02, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gran turismo, I'm interested in smugglers run, and need for speed. What are the good driving games out there for PS2 and why do you like them?
Old 11-06-02, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Need for Speed rocks! played it for the first time for a few hours last night. It's not a sim like Gran Turismo...just a fun video game. i think GT3 and NFS pretty much cover the bases as far as driving games go...i rented spy hunter, and it was a good time if you want to shoot stuff while you drive.

don't know if they count, but the GTA twins are great great games.
Old 11-06-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need for Speed's the way to go.
Old 11-06-02, 09:07 AM

You can't beat the crashes in Burnout 2.
Old 11-06-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pro Race Driver is coming out in December and it looks really good. From what I've seen it's more of a sim type game (though it has a storyline too), so if you like more realism, this one could be a winner. And it looks like it has some nice crashes too, if that floats your boat There are some videos on Codemasters website. I hope the reviews are good for this one... not so sure about having a storyline in my racing game though.

twr: I should rent Burnout 2, I hear it's a lot of fun.
Old 11-06-02, 11:18 AM

I'd go for need for speed. the speed of the game is great, the graphics are great, and it's not only "racing game" but a "beat the cops" game as well. plus u can play against a buddy with you being the cop and him being the bad guy..loads of fun!
Old 11-06-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does need for speed support the Logitech Driving Force wheel that was designed for GT3? If it does I'll probably get the game.
Old 11-06-02, 02:08 PM

Burnout 2 if you like crashes, Nascar Thunder 2003 if you like track racing & fiddling with lots of different car setups (gear ratios, suspension ratios, tire pressure, etc), GTA: Vice City if you just like a non-sim driving around running over people. You can also try Stuntman if you like banging your head into a brick wall.
Old 11-06-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe no one has mentioned Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero. My favorite racing franchise. Great graphics, a unique challenge system, tons of cars (not licensed but exactly like their real-life counterparts) that have probably a hundred different upgradeable options each. Plays like a combination between an arcade racer and sim. Just plain fun.

Awesome franchise, I hope they continue it.

Jeremy
Old 11-06-02, 03:06 PM

How different is tokyo from the DC version. I was a little dissapointed with the DC version, it had great graphics, but there wasn't much as far as variety in tracks etc..
Old 11-06-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's more like the DC version of Tokyo Highway Battle 2. The highway is much larger, and a lot of the gangs have their specific roads they hang out on - even on the mirrored tracks. So it makes you play all the tracks to get all the rivals.

The first game was a little like driving around in a circle, but this one they really opened up the highway. You still get repitition, but there are more tracks and longer tracks.

The PS2 version fixes the slowdown, has little-to-no draw-in, adds some cars to the rivals and gives you a better replay mode. It's definitely worth the sub-$20 pricetag if you can find it.

Jeremy
Old 11-06-02, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Joshic
does need for speed support the Logitech Driving Force wheel that was designed for GT3? If it does I'll probably get the game.
yes it does and very well i might say.
Old 11-06-02, 10:02 PM

The Logitech wheel is USB isnt it? I thought I remember reading it would work with the PC as well. How does one use a wheel with a console? I have one for my pc that I can clamp on to my desk, but my TV is on a short entertainment stand and I sit in one of those banana shaped video rockers to watch tv/movies and play games.
Also, does it have force feedback, and if it does, is it more involved than just vibrating?

Brian