DVD Talk
So, which of you guys are Guster fans and followers? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : So, which of you guys are Guster fans and followers?

AnonomusBob15
11-05-02, 10:03 PM
I never even knew this section existed, so when I found it, I thought I would post a thread on my favorite band, Guster.

I did a search, and there wasn't much on them. Only a few (smart) people have even mentioned them. Good for them.

For those who haven't heard them, go the a downloading program, cdnow.com, and even guster.com to hear some of their music, they are just that good.

For the fans out there, what do you think of Ramona, Safari, and We Gotta Be Clean? I think the songs totally rock!

any thoughts on the band. Oh and by the way, my favorite cd is Goldfly and favorite tracks are Medicine and All the Way Up to Heaven.

-Matt

DJLinus
11-05-02, 10:41 PM
I'm not a huge fan, but I do quite enjoy Lost & Gone Forever quite a bit (it's the only disc that I have of theirs). "So Long" and "Either Way" are my faves off of it. I've been meaning to pick up their other two discs, but haven't. This thread kind of reminded me to do so. Thanks.

AnonomusBob15
11-05-02, 11:10 PM
"Either Way" is great, especially the musical stretch near the end where the music gradually gets louder and louder.

These guys are full of talent.....

Gdrlv
11-05-02, 11:39 PM
I'm one of the folks you mentioned who hypes these guys every chance I get (along with the Gourds, another criminally underexposed band).

I've seen Guster live 4 times (1 in Pittsburgh, then I moved to Vegas and traveled twice to LA to see 'em and then once in Vegas opening for John Mayer). The best of these shows was at the House of Blues in LA in March, 2001. My brother flew in from Pittsburgh to see it with me, and the boys kicked some serious ass that night (the opener, Great Big Sea, was pretty damn fine as well, I've gotta say). That show featured the muzak version of "Happy Frappy," a killer "Great Escape" with a great (but too short) drum jam and a very enthusiastic crowd (and I expected LA crowds to be jaded).

They're one of my favorite bands, and I can't wait for the new disc to come out. I really like the new tracks I've heard (the three you mentioned, plus "Red Oyster Cult," "Homecoming King," and maybe one other...can't remember). Come Downstairs and Say Hello is a great album title and I hope they decide to stick with it (although Bitch Magic was a pretty killer title as well).

At the moment, favorite album is Goldfly. Favorite songs..."Perfect," "Parachute," and "Two Points for Honesty."

Gdrlv
11-05-02, 11:55 PM
By the way...just a little something for the Guster fans on the board...

http://www.onid.orst.edu/~lafevrek/ryanbra.jpg

Is it Ryan Miller or a very, very ugly woman? Discuss.

sebastianv50
11-06-02, 12:32 AM
Guster if my favorite band ever.

My favorites off Lost and Gone Forever are

I Spy, What you Wish For, and All the Way Up to Heaven

I like Ramona and Safari a lot. I definitely like Ramona more; I think it's one of their better songs, but I liked the first mix they put up on the site when the background vocals were louder. It was just more powerful. I can't wait until the new album comes out though; it's going to be awesome.

cooper2000
11-06-02, 01:41 AM
I enjoy their music alot too. Very catchy.

woofman
11-06-02, 10:09 AM
I've become quite a fan as well. I saw them open up for John Mayer and was VERY impressed with their live show. They got a better response from the crowd than he did!

jdpatri
11-06-02, 10:20 AM
Love Guster. Love 'em! Concert counts up to 4.

I've seen John Mayer open for them and I've seen them open for John Mayer. Weird.

Anyway... Goldfly's my favorite CD of theirs. "Two Points for Honesty" wins my favorite song and while I like both of the new songs, Ramona's a GREAT song... and definitely ranks in the top 5.

I do hope they start touring without John Mayer. During the last show, I had to endure hordes of screaming fifteen year old girls who talked and yapped the whole time Guster was on stage.

While I like John Mayer, this I could not endure and left after two of his songs. I liked it much better when only the Atlanta twenty-something females knew about John Mayer... before that damn song hit the radio. They'd just park themselves next to the stage and for the most part refrained from high pitch squeals of delight. Fans of Guster stayed... the rest left.

AnonomusBob15
11-06-02, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by jdpatri
Love Guster. Love 'em! Concert counts up to 4.

I've seen John Mayer open for them and I've seen them open for John Mayer. Weird.

Anyway... Goldfly's my favorite CD of theirs. "Two Points for Honesty" wins my favorite song and while I like both of the new songs, Ramona's a GREAT song... and definitely ranks in the top 5.

I do hope they start touring without John Mayer. During the last show, I had to endure hordes of screaming fifteen year old girls who talked and yapped the whole time Guster was on stage.

While I like John Mayer, this I could not endure and left after two of his songs. I liked it much better when only the Atlanta twenty-something females knew about John Mayer... before that damn song hit the radio. They'd just park themselves next to the stage and for the most part refrained from high pitch squeals of delight. Fans of Guster stayed... the rest left.

I saw them at John Mayer, Guster opened, I stayed for them, and left for "it".

Gdrlv - I'll have to check out those two songs you mentioned. Any specific file sharing network they are on? Love the name of that album.

Gdrlv
11-06-02, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by AnonomusBob15
Gdrlv - I'll have to check out those two songs you mentioned. Any specific file sharing network they are on? Love the name of that album.

"Red Oyster Cult" and "Homecoming King" were played live when they co-headlined with John Mayer this tour. I haven't heard the studio versions yet...though you should be able to find them live if you try (Furthur.net would be a good place to start).

EDIT: I also left right at the beginning of John Mayer's performance (actually at the beginning of the second song). He was incredibly cheesy...came out on stage and started doing a strip tease while "Pusherman" played over the PA. Lame. The high school girls sure loved it though. I didn't think it could get any worse til I talked to my brother. He saw the Pittsburgh show, and Mayer did his strip tease to Nelly's "It's Hot in Here" that night.

The best part of the Guster/Mayer tour was that it seems like many came to see Mayer and ended up won over by Guster. Hopefully that's the case anyway.

AnonomusBob15
11-07-02, 12:16 AM
Same way with my show.

Lots of girls there for Mayer. It was funny because they had cameras set up for Mayers performance to go on his upcoming dvd, and they PRACTICED the camera moves on Guster. They were joking about it, it was really funny. "Folks, don't worry, they wont be filming for us......"

But the next day at school, there were about 15 gals in the bright green Guster shirt. I don't know if they actually liked Guster or if they wanted to be hip and edgy, but it's all cool.

I got the Me Gusta Guster shirt myself.

C-Mart
11-07-02, 02:14 AM
I have one Guster song... A live performance of Tiffany's I Think We're Alone Now! It is pretty good actually.

-CM-

BenFolds
11-07-02, 04:09 PM
For fans who are interested in getting into this band, get the follwoing songs:
Barrel of a Gun
Fa Fa
I Spy
Mona Lisa
Demons
Airport Song

BenFolds
11-07-02, 04:10 PM
Go to Guster.net to get some of their new live unreleased songs like Homecoming King and Red Oyster Cult.

mtucker
11-07-02, 11:04 PM
It's funny that I just saw this thread as one of my coworkers let me borrow "Lost and Gone Forever" this past week and I haven't been able to stop playing it. How do the first two albums' sound compare to "Lost and Gone Forever"?

BTW, favorite song so far..."Either Way". Best song I've heard in a while.

Gdrlv
11-07-02, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by mtucker
How do the first two albums' sound compare to "Lost and Gone Forever"?

The first two albums aren't as heavily produced as Lost and Gone Forever as they were recorded independently with a much smaller budget. However, they're both excellent albums and well worth having...particularly Goldfly. In order of preference, I'd rank their discs...Goldfly, Lost and Gone Forever, Parachute, but it's a really close race.

AnonomusBob15
11-08-02, 07:44 AM
Same here - Goldfly, Lost and Gone Forever, and Parachute.

Goldfly is great, the lyrics are outstanding, it isn't as "musical" at L&GF/. It's almost 100% different. Medecine is the best song on there, IMO. People seem to dig Airport Song and Demons though.

Parachute is good, and would be excellent if they "restored" it. It doesn't sound all that great, and I don't think they had quite mastered thier Gustertivity at that point.

jdpatri
11-08-02, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by AnonomusBob15
Same way with my show.

Lots of girls there for Mayer. It was funny because they had cameras set up for Mayers performance to go on his upcoming dvd, and they PRACTICED the camera moves on Guster. They were joking about it, it was really funny. "Folks, don't worry, they wont be filming for us......"

But the next day at school, there were about 15 gals in the bright green Guster shirt. I don't know if they actually liked Guster or if they wanted to be hip and edgy, but it's all cool.

I got the Me Gusta Guster shirt myself.

That's the shirt I got too. :D

I'm thinking about ordering a Thunder God shirt from their website....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0