Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

the Commitments - need info on new R2 UK release (or others) please.

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-05-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find anything I needed in a search, so....

There is a new release of the Commitments in the UK that just came out this week. Apparently it's a sort of "Movie and Music" package that includes an audio CD of the soundtrack.

I'm wondering if the movie in this set is a new version, hopefully widescreen 16x9 with some extras. I'm pretty sure that the previous R2 versions are the same pan&scan as the out-of-print version here in the US.

I checked about 5 different UK retailers, and although some of them list the new set, NONE have any details about the specs on the DVD.

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's just leading me to the thread that I couldn't find in this forum.

Or, more generally, is there a good version of the Commitments available anywhere?
Old 11-07-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I doubt I'll get any help if this fades down to page 2, so..... ^^^
Old 11-07-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...take a look here...

. . . . . .
Old 11-07-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hendrik,
Thanks very much for the link to that site, and to that thread on exactly this topic.
Those people were asking the same thing I was, but as of the last post on 7/11, there were no answers.
So, I revived the thread, and hopefully someone will have some answers.

My instincts tell me that this will just be a repackaging of the old version, or else we might have heard some enthusiastic comments about a better release of this great film. But, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Update: Oops, I just noticed that it wasn't an old thread after all, since 07-11-2002 is of course the CORRECT way to say that it's November 7th, and that the US is one of the few places that screws up date formats with the month/day/year system.

Anyway, there was already a response, but not much help yet:
"I asked the same question on 20th October and we're still none the wiser unfortunately. It might now be a WHSmith limited edition release for the present from some bits I've read. Either way, I hope someone finds out whether the disc is the anamorphic print or not sometime soon."

Last edited by dvd2001; 11-07-02 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-07-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hendrik,
Thanks as well for that link you posted on the other site to the French version. I'll put it here for anyone interested:

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=3746

If you watch this French version in English, are there any forced subtitles?

Last edited by dvd2001; 11-07-02 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-07-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I guess I might as well share the info I got from the site that Hendrik referred me to. Here's the latest on the "new release" of the Commitments in the U.K.:

"It's a WHSmith exclusive, and is just the same old crappy pan-and-scan release + CD soundtrack in a flimsy cardboard cover"

Damn! Well, I'm glad I looked before I leaped. Now, I'd consider that French version, but it just irks me to be buying a French version of an English film, that will surely have the booklet in French. Maybe a little more patience will pay off with this one, and there will eventually be a decent US or UK version of this great film.
Old 11-08-02, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...If you watch this French version in English, are there any forced subtitles?"

...absolutely not, because the disc features optional Français Anglais Italien Néerlandais subtitles...

. . . . . .
Old 11-08-02, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*...it just irks me to be buying a French version of an English film, that will surely have the booklet in French..."

...that's why I never buy CRITERION releases of French, German, Japanese, Italian, Iranian, etc. films, because they all have the booklet in English, which irks me no end...

. . . . . .
Old 11-08-02, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
...that's why I never buy CRITERION releases of French, German, Japanese, Italian, Iranian, etc. films, because they all have the booklet in English, which irks me no end...
. . . . . .
Hendrik,
That's actually a very good point, and I suppose that in the cases where I could read the language, I'd prefer to have the version that's closest to the source.

With that in mind, I found that the German release of the Commitments appears to have the same specs as the French, anamorphic 16x9 with the extras. At least for that one, I could read the booklet supplement.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help, and for leading me to that other DVD site. It's a great place, and it's really easy to use, since the format is the same as DVDtalk. I even got to use the same user name.