Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know how much EB Games gives for the newer games?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-04-02, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering what type of credit EB Games gives on the newer games for the PS2 such as Red Faction 2 or Hitman2? Do they give more credit if the game is still sealed? Reason I'm asking is I got in on that sale last week at Toys R Us and got Hitman 2. I would rather have Hitman 2 for the Xbox so I'm thinking of trading it in for some credit so I can pay the difference for the xbox version.
Old 11-04-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably get $20-$25 for it. They usually pay about half of what they will resell it for. You are better off selling it on ebay or half.com.
Old 11-04-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't you just take it to Wal-Mart or Best Buy, and say you got the wrong version as a gift. They should exchange it for you no problem.
Old 11-04-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$20 from what I've seen when people trade in, and what friends and I were given/offered on games at the most. Then they turn around and throw a $44.99 sticker on it - ooooooh, $5 off new.
Old 11-05-02, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Quake1028
Why don't you just take it to Wal-Mart or Best Buy, and say you got the wrong version as a gift. They should exchange it for you no problem.
Because it's a lie and illegal?
Old 11-05-02, 08:39 AM

yeah those bastards at gamestop and EB rip ppl off big time
I like selling stuff on Amazon and Half.com and still they charge
a hefty %15 commission
I just wish there was a way for gamers to sell directly without the middle man but still have secured transactions
Old 11-05-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Because it's a lie and illegal?
How exactly is that illegal?
Old 11-05-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Icculus
How exactly is that illegal?
If it's legal, why don't you go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy and tell them you bought the game on sale at Toys-R-Us but you want to echange it for one of their full-price games, and see if they say "Okay."
Old 11-05-02, 02:14 PM
Retired

Price varies by factors like how popular the game is, and how many used copies the company is getting.

A game that is hyped and ends up sucking (State of Emergency) will get returned in large quantities, and EB will quickly start paying next to nothing for it as they have more used copies than they can sell.

The most I've ever gotten on a trade it was $35 for Eternal Darkness about a month after it's release.

Also, they won't give you more if it's sealed. I tried before. I ended up exchanging the game at wal-mart. Sure it's illegal, but I have no ethical qualms about ripping a big company that puts smaller companies out of business and treats their employees like crap.
Old 11-05-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DigIt
If it's legal, why don't you go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy and tell them you bought the game on sale at Toys-R-Us but you want to echange it for one of their full-price games, and see if they say "Okay."
There's a difference between them accepting it and it being illegal... They probably won't accept it if you say I bought this at Toys R Us and want to return it here, they will probably take it if you say you have no idea where it was purchased and want to return it.
Old 11-05-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Icculus
There's a difference between them accepting it and it being illegal... They probably won't accept it if you say I bought this at Toys R Us and want to return it here, they will probably take it if you say you have no idea where it was purchased and want to return it.
If you knowingly misrepresent yourself to a business (e.g., lie to them in order to get around their return policy), that constitutes fraud. Defrauding a business is illegal.
Old 11-05-02, 03:01 PM
Retired

Really, this is only a big deal if people are buying games cheap and returning them for cash, which isn't the case.

Wal-mart's only going to exchange if for a game of equal value, so they're not losing anything.

If you exhange a $50 game for $50 game, wal-mart won't lose anything. They'll just be making their $50 on the copy of the game you exchanged, instead of the one you got in exchange.
Old 11-05-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wal-mart's only going to exchange if for a game of equal value, so they're not losing anything.
If they're not losing anything, why not tell them the truth? I'm sure they'd be willing to oblige when you tell them they're not losing anything, and you're getting their $50 game for $35. Everybody wins!!!

If everyone bought merchandise elsewhere and only exchanged merchandise at Wal-Mart, Wal-Mart would never register any sales and would go out of business. That's why they don't accept returns/exchanges from another store. That's why you'd have to lie to them to get an exchange.

If you bought the item on sale at Wal-Mart, and lied in order to return it for full price at Wal-Mart, they'd consider it fraud or theft.

If you bought the item on sale at Toys-R-Us, and lied in order to return it for full price at Wal-Mart, it is still considered fraud and theft.

Last edited by DigIt; 11-05-02 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-05-02, 04:00 PM

I really can't see Walmart being that stupid either when a PS2 game comes back. I'm sure they are aware of sales at other stores and probably get a little picky about those items. Even if I did decide to do that, Toys R Us puts a sticker on their cames that is next to impossible to get off without destroying the plastic.
Old 11-05-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, listen, I didn't mean to devolve your thread into a discussion of how illegal this is. We all know it's illegal, but we also know that we can probably get away with it. Just know that, even though you probably won't get caught, if you do, you could get into a lot of trouble.
Old 11-05-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
You could always trade it in the exchange forum. Just a thought
Old 11-05-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, listen, I didn't mean to devolve your thread into a discussion of how illegal this is. We all know it's illegal, but we also know that we can probably get away with it. Just know that, even though you probably won't get caught, if you do, you could get into a lot of trouble.
I don't think they'd call the cops on you because you're trying to exchange an item that you got from a different store. I think the worst case scenario would be Wal Mart not letting you exchange it.
Old 11-06-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now come on

How many times has the "Wal-Mart Swap" been done? I don't think it's fair to gang up on one person for something a number of gamers on this forum have done and will continue to do.

I got a crap movie for X-mas one year and told the people at Wal-Mart I wanted to swap it for something I'd actually want to watch. They never asked if it was bought at there so I never bothered to tell them that I know it wasn't.

If it's a crime worthy of burning in hell then I'll see some fellow DVD Talkers there for all eternity.
Old 11-06-02, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Really, this is only a big deal if people are buying games cheap and returning them for cash, which isn't the case.

If you exhange a $50 game for $50 game, wal-mart won't lose anything. They'll just be making their $50 on the copy of the game you exchanged, instead of the one you got in exchange.
All new games are $50, right? If you trade a new crappy video game that most people won't buy (NBA Shootout 2003) for a hot game that sells well (Contra, Hitman 2, Vice City, etc.), and that crappy game sits on their shelf until next year's version comes out and they have to price-cut it, they lose.

But a store like ShopKo flat out has a "return unopened items for store credit" policy which allows for such transactions to take place, but I believe they give you the lowest sale price they had of the item.
Old 11-06-02, 11:18 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Yeah but he is not trading crappy game, he wants to get rid of Hitman, one of the best games out this year, and it will sell for $50. Who cares if he paid $35 for it and Wal mart gives hima $50 game, for it because then they will sell his $35 for $50, it all works out in the end. Plus a company the size of wal mart who cares. When the CEO makes billion dollars a year, he makes what most people make in year he makes ina hour or less, so they aren't going to crumble for losing $50. they could give a way all of their video games and it would not hurt the Ceo
Old 11-06-02, 11:48 AM

I really don't know how this topic turned in to exchanging games at Walmart or Best Buy. I was actually looking to do the honest thing. Let me explain why and what I have done so far. There was 2 games I wanted, Hitman 2 and Red Faction 2. That was it! I took Vice City as my third game since I knew I would not have a hard time to sell it, figured I might get $40. To my surprise, I got $70 for it, not sure why but I won't question it. That leaves $30 I spent for my 2 games, not a bad deal. I decided I would rather have the xbox version of Hitman 2 instead of the PS2 version. To me, if I trade it in and get $20 for it from EBGames, then I have to spend another $30 to get the Xbox version. To me, in the end I still make out since that means I spent out of pocket $60 for 2 games.

Thanks for the info on the trade in values for EBGames. No thanks for the info about all the illegal talk. I wasn't looking to do anything dishonest. One last thing, it's not illegal what everyone has been talking about, it's called being dishonest and it's up to every individual person if they want to do that, they have to live with their dishonesty, not you! To some, a little dishonesty is a benefit to them that they have no problem living with. Lets' stop with the right or wrong talk, people will do whatever they want no matter what you think.
Old 11-06-02, 01:16 PM

Good place to trade games is www.gametz.com

Someone there will surely want it, or I'm sure quite a few of the games you no longer want or play. It isn't secure as you can get ripped, but it is a pretty good option.
Old 11-07-02, 03:40 PM

I just wanted to say thank you for your advice here. I mean I didn't do it exactly like that but close. I was in my local Game Store today and asked him how much credit they give for a recent PS2 game. He told me between 15 to 30. I explained to him that I had Hitman 2 in the car that I bought from Toys R Us on sale and how I really wanted the Xbox version instead. He told me if it was sealed he could try to work something out for me. I brought it in, we took off the R Zone sticker in the store and then he did a straight swap for me for the Xbox version. Very cool!!!

It's obvious I wasn't walked off in handcuffs either

Last edited by Cyberock; 11-07-02 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-07-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cyberock
I just wanted to say thank you for your advice here. I mean I didn't do it exactly like that but close. I was in my local Game Store today and asked him how much credit they give for a recent PS2 game. He told me between 15 to 30. I explained to him that I had Hitman 2 in the car that I bought from Toys R Us on sale and how I really wanted the Xbox version instead. He told me if it was sealed he could try to work something out for me. I brought it in, we took off the R Zone sticker in the store and then he did a straight swap for me for the Xbox version. Veru cool!!!
Cool.