Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why don't networks rebroadcast shows at a later time?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know if there is a real reason why networks don't rebroadcast their primetime shows at a later time - like repeat the nightly primetime schedule from something like 2am-5am. I'd have to think they'd get more viewership for that than they do with their infomercials which currently run in those timespots.

I've noticed WB does this with a few shows - not early in the morning but at 7pm. The problem with a lot of shows, especially the ones with episode-to-episode continuity, you miss 1 show and you miss a significant chunk of information. By the time it shows again during reruns you don't really care at that point.

It frustrates me not only with missing a show/forgetting to record it/etc, but also during times where 2 shows are on at the same time on different networks and I have to pick one over the other. It just seems extremely logical and a good idea to rebroadcast them - why can't they do it?
Old 11-04-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So you'll watch it during prime time and pay for their ad revenue. The networks aren't out to entertain us - if they were, so many shows wouldn't suck (*cough* NBC sit-coms *cough*). If they give you the option not to watch, you'll watch it when they make less money from it.

I too find it frustrating. WB (along with others) does this because they know they'll lose to the big networks no matter what, so it's not worth the risk.

With repuposing shows for cable, though, I think we'll see more major shows appearing after their initial run in a more timely fashion.

das
Old 11-04-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
That's what tivo is for.
Old 11-04-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't this what newsgroups and PTP networks are for?
Old 11-04-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't that cost them too much money? At least with "Friends" I know the actors still get a nice chunk of change for the first repeat of an episode.
Old 11-04-02, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was lucky enough to get both the East Coast and West Coast feeds from the Dish Network way back before it became a big deal. I love getting a second chance at all my favorite shows from the West coast stations and would hate to have to give that up.