Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Trading in DC for PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-02, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading in DC for PS2?

Was thinking of trading in my dreamcast and 10 games for $100 at EB. Was considering getting a PS2. The guy on the phone said that I should get an XBOX instead because it can do more than the PS2 could ever do. Are they getting extra incentives for selling xbox's or does he have a valid point? I have read on many posts that the PS2 is very popular. I like mostly racing games like need for speed and have read recently that many multi-platform games are better on the PS2. I am not a hardcore gamer, I liked that the PS2 has many greatest hits for only 19.99. I am never in a hurry to get new titles, obvious since I don't have a PS2 yet. Any thought? Thanks
Old 11-02-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i love the ps2, but i recently bought the xbox w/ the free games jet set radio future and sega GT 2002

technically, the xbox is a lot better (video and dolby digital 5.1 sound). but where are the games??? limited selection compared to the ps2, imo.

driving games? i'm looking forward to Rally Fusion and Colin McRae rally 3 on the xbox.
Old 11-02-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a Ps2 before Gamecube and before xbox, even before GBA. and then got rid of it I loved Onimishu, but even though Ps2 has a lot of games. I didntt like most of them. The same thing happened when i had PS1. For me id rather have 5 good games i love for a system then 20 so so games. Not bashing Ps2 or anything as there are good games on it like GTA3 and GTA Vice. Just my opinion on how i do gaming

I had a gamecube and was fine with my 5-6 games i could play over and over, but the xbox deal was too good to be true so i picked it up. Today i picked up a bunch of games and i couldnt be happier.

Ps2 is a good system if you like the 5 or 6 excellent games on it.

It all comes down to those 5-6 excellent games per system. Before you buy a system do your research

capt
Old 11-02-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Now that I have all three my set up is like this. My DC is my room along with my PS2, and GC. The DC is hooked up to my monitor, and the PS2, and GC to my television, the Xbox is in the living room. I was VERY unsure of buying the Xbox, but when that bundle deal hit (JSRF, Sega GT, and an S Controller) I said..ahh what the hell. I like all my systems, but personally I couldnt dream of parting with my DC. Its the only system that had Soul Calibur on it, and a lot of the 2D shooters (Mars Matrix, Giga Wing,..etc) are only the DC as well as a handful of the SF series. My boss has been trying to get me to bring in my older stuff but I would never do it. I spemt too much on my DC, and games to only get a few measly dollars. I understand that trading it in to EB with 10 games takes $100 off the system of choice, but I guess I have a hard time letting go. Definately weigh the options, and decide dont jump into this blindly. I'd hate to see a fellow gamer make a bad choice. I love all my systems, and if needed to would probably sell one of them. But even then I'd have a hard time letting go.
Old 11-02-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I say keep the dreamcast. I recently started playing some games I haven't played in years (Today I picked up a new copy of Shenmue for $4.97, I am truly amazed that the game is more fun now than it ever was back then, and also amazed by just how sharp the game still looks.) It's great for the few occasional games that - while they seem uninteresting now - just wait a while and you'll wanna play quite a few again.

I love my Xbox, PS2, and Dreamcast. --now all I need is a GC + Metroid Prime and I'll be set

-Rich
Old 11-02-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Trading in DC for PS2?

Originally posted by Ezra
Was thinking of trading in my dreamcast and 10 games for $100 at EB. Was considering getting a PS2. The guy on the phone said that I should get an XBOX instead because it can do more than the PS2 could ever do. Are they getting extra incentives for selling xbox's or does he have a valid point? I have read on many posts that the PS2 is very popular. I like mostly racing games like need for speed and have read recently that many multi-platform games are better on the PS2. I am not a hardcore gamer, I liked that the PS2 has many greatest hits for only 19.99. I am never in a hurry to get new titles, obvious since I don't have a PS2 yet. Any thought? Thanks
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER....and I repeat NEVER listen to a sales person if he is gonig to sway you in the direction opposite of what you already want. So many times I've seen my manager tell people coming in about the XBox when they have already stated they want a PS2. Im a firm believer in this: You buy the system you like for the games you like, not for how it will perform with the addition of add-ons. I bought the XBox for the Sega games(Panzer Dragoon, HOD 3, JSRF) and already Im being scoffed at by other people(namely everyone who is pro XB at my store and only pro XB..they like to bash you know) "Oh not Halo?" those were their reasons not mine. Research it first please! And make the choice yourself.
Old 11-02-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RichC2
I say keep the dreamcast. I recently started playing some games I haven't played in years (Today I picked up a new copy of Shenmue for $4.97, I am truly amazed that the game is more fun now than it ever was back then, and also amazed by just how sharp the game still looks.) It's great for the few occasional games that - while they seem uninteresting now - just wait a while and you'll wanna play quite a few again.

I love my Xbox, PS2, and Dreamcast. --now all I need is a GC + Metroid Prime and I'll be set

-Rich
Word
Old 11-02-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For a little info on EB(at least my local EB): All of their XBox stuff is at the front of the store, all the employees wear XBox t-shirts, and when they answer the phone, they say "Electronics Boutique, your XBox headquarters, how can we help you?", "Electronics Boutique, where you get 2 free games with your XBox, how can we help you?", and one other line. The other day one guy who looked 40 or so came in looking to buy a PS2 for his son. The guy at EB ended up talking the guy into buying an XBox. I really hate it when that crap happens...
Also, when I bought my Dreamcast games there earlier this week, I was talking to one of the employees, who asked me what systems I had aside from the DC. I told him PS2 and GC, and he said "you really need to get an XBox man, I tell that to everyone that walks into the store. If not you'll be missing out on the best." I disagree, but won't get that started.
Anyway, buy what you want. After getting my Dreamcast last week, I would agree with the guy who said to keep it. I love this thing, and wish I didn't wait so long to buy it.
Considering you're a casual gamer and like racing games, you can't beat Gran Turismo 3, and the Greatest Hits line on PS2. You won't find prices on great games like that for XBox or GameCube.
Old 11-02-02, 09:50 PM

I own an X-Box and PS2. I love both of them. If I had to pick one it would be very difficult because of the exclusive games for both systems (PS2-Grand Theft Auto) (X-Box-Halo,Buffy). If you plan on hooking it up to a HDTV and/or receiver, than I would recommend the X-Box. 5.1 gaming is really cool.
Old 11-03-02, 06:27 AM

After reading all these posts, I think I will keep the dreamcast. Still on the fence a little about the consoles. I like the idea of having dolby digital sound with the xbox, but I have Jet Grind Radio and sega gt for my dc, so even though I'm sure they are better on the xbox, the free games aren't a big motivation. Is the optical out primarily for the dvd movies on the PS2? Are there any games in 5.1 on the PS2? I'll read some more reviews on games I'm interested in and then decide.
thanks
Old 11-03-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Are there any games in 5.1 on the PS2?
Whereas the Xbox supports real-time 5.1, I think - for the most part - PS2 games are limited to 5.1 during cinematics.

I still haven't played a game that uses Dolby Digital for PS2 throughout - all are Pro Logic, then switch to DD when the cinematics start (well, some games - not all had DD)
Old 11-03-02, 02:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

lol, anybody who thinks about trading in their dc deserves what they get.
as for EB, seems like they have some type of goal on selling xboxes, thus the hard push to sell them.

both systems still too expensive though
Old 11-03-02, 05:50 PM

I wouldn't trade in the DC at all. IMO, it's the greatest console of all time. Nothing else compares to it's wide variety of different, great games except possibly the SNES. Go find some cheap games for it and KEEP IT. It's a very wonderful system. KEEP IT.
Old 11-03-02, 06:18 PM

Ditto on the DC, mine is currently dicombooberated and i miss it, i knew i should have picked up an extra one when they were closing them out, ARRGH!
Old 11-03-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will never get rid of Dreamcast for one simple Reason Shen-mue. A Reason i will never get rid of xbox Shen-mue II :-) (not that i plan on getting rid of it. I just got it) As long as there is a Shen-mue title on a system ill have it and it will never leave my grasp

capt
Old 11-04-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by CaptDS9E

Ps2 is a good system if you like the 5 or 6 excellent games on it.

It all comes down to those 5-6 excellent games per system. Before you buy a system do your research

capt

and who is the higher power that decides what these 5-6 "excellent" games are?

i buy a system cause it has the games I like and that I want to play. PS2 might have 25 "excellent" games in someones opinion and none in another persons. its honestly pretty funny to read posts like yours. its almost like a halfass system bash but its just so poorly written and has no merit to it whatsoever that it becomes hilarious to read.

i do agree with the research comment

Last edited by TaTTooD; 11-04-02 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-04-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TaTTooD
and who is the higher power that decides what these 5-6 "excellent" games are?

i buy a system cause it has the games I like and that I want to play. PS2 might have 25 "excellent" games in someones opinion and none in another persons. its honestly pretty funny to read posts like yours. its almost like a halfass system bash but its just so poorly written and has no merit to it whatsoever that it becomes hilarious to read.
Word
Old 11-04-02, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

for me it was between the PS2 and the GC...the games on x-box don't really do it for me.

i chose PS2 mostly because of the greatest hits lineup and the 3 for 2 deal at Amazon. it's hard to ignore great games like Ace Combat 4, Gran Turismo 3, Jak and Daxter, Devil May Cry, and Twisted Metal: Black for $15 each. The Amazon 3 for 2 deal let me get Vice City, Need for Speed, and Robotech for $35 each and I picked up Metal Gear Solid and GTA3 for $50 on half.com. plus i already had a few controllers and it allowed me to get rid of my PS1.

couldn't be happier.
Old 11-04-02, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

oh, forgot to mention that i KEPT my Dreamcast.
Old 11-04-02, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First of all i said in my post it was not a system bash. My post was all about personal preference. Its pretty simple to come up with a overall best 5-6 games for GC, Xbox, PS2. Just go to gamerankings.com and see which ones are the best 5-6 ranked per system. Or you can just look around these boards and see what 5-6 games people talk about most on a system(Go to gamespot and see how people rank them and so on). Then like i said do your research and see which of the systems has more good games games that intrest you. Thats not hard at all. Sorry if i offended anyone. I dont hate PS2, or think its a bad system at all, as Onimushu is one of my fav games. I just didnt personally like the rest of the selection of games.

Thanks
Capt
Old 11-04-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't take your post as a system bash at all, but come on, there's more than 5-6 top shelf games for the PS2.
Old 11-04-02, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Ezra
After reading all these posts, I think I will keep the dreamcast. Still on the fence a little about the consoles. I like the idea of having dolby digital sound with the xbox, but I have Jet Grind Radio and sega gt for my dc, so even though I'm sure they are better on the xbox, the free games aren't a big motivation. Is the optical out primarily for the dvd movies on the PS2? Are there any games in 5.1 on the PS2? I'll read some more reviews on games I'm interested in and then decide.
thanks
With optical output on PS2, I get DTS from the ViceCity so it's not just for the movies.
Old 11-04-02, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
For a little info on EB(at least my local EB): All of their XBox stuff is at the front of the store, all the employees wear XBox t-shirts, and when they answer the phone, they say "Electronics Boutique, your XBox headquarters, how can we help you?", "Electronics Boutique, where you get 2 free games with your XBox, how can we help you?", and one other line. The other day one guy who looked 40 or so came in looking to buy a PS2 for his son. The guy at EB ended up talking the guy into buying an XBox. I really hate it when that crap happens...
This happens at my stores too. These guys are on MS's payroll so to speak. They get all kinds of kick backs for their efforts. It's quite sad.
Old 11-04-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
A business is there to make money, not be impartial as bad as that may sound. If MS gives them more money for pushing their product then that's what they should do. If you make a purchase you do your own research beforehand. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could listen to those clowns at EB.

I just cannot even understand some of the nonsense that leaves the mouths of employees there. Oh, and last time I was in Software Etc. the manager had SICKENING body odor. I had to stop playing Metroid Prime for fear of puking. Take a shower man, you're running the place.
Old 11-05-02, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
All of their XBox stuff is at the front of the store, all the employees wear XBox t-shirts, and when they answer the phone, they say "Electronics Boutique, your XBox headquarters, how can we help you?", "Electronics Boutique, where you get 2 free games with your XBox, how can we help you?", and one other line.
yeah my babbages store is like this too, its annoying as hell. I don't shop there, not because of that reason though, but because they were overall jerks- i.e. the games we say are good are the good ones because we know more than you- attitudes.

Anyway I have been thinking about selling my DC for a long time even though i already have a ps2, i could use th extra money. I haven't played my DC in months and the only reason i'm keeping it so far is the NES emulation and soul calibur. I would say the PS2 is a good choice for you since you said you're not in a hurry to play new games, you could get a lot of good games for a low price, plus there is an incredible variety and amount of top notch games. For racing you have Gran Turismo 3 and GTA:Vice City (you can drive cars in it ), or GTA3 for less $.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.