DVD Talk
Richard Ashcroft "Human Conditions" [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Richard Ashcroft "Human Conditions"

lostatmidnight
11-02-02, 06:24 PM
Has this been released here in the US? I checked Amazon, CDNow, Fye and other online stores and all seem to have different release dates...I checked brick-and-mortar last week when it was supposed to be released and found nothing...Has it been delayed or not to be released stateside at all? If worse comes to worse, I will just import it...Anybody know?

BDB
11-02-02, 09:33 PM
I know I got mine from amazon.uk on monday and have been listening to it ever since, if you enjoyed his 1st release you wil like this one.

A lot of times I see us releases of uk cd's one week later, so I would just hold out till tuesday to see if it's released.

dek
11-02-02, 09:43 PM
I got it about a month ago, gave it 2 listens, and it sits collecting dust :(

BDB
11-02-02, 10:13 PM
well maybe you should wrap it in a nice wee bow, and send it to lostatmidnight ;)

lostatmidnight
11-03-02, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
well maybe you should wrap it in a nice wee bow, and send it to lostatmidnight ;)

:lol:

Yeah, I'd take it...I think its original release date with was Oct. 22 for the US---but nothing ever came of it...Eventually I will get it.

dek
11-03-02, 06:53 PM
Well, it isn't too original :D

fazeem
11-04-02, 09:45 AM
lostatmidnight - check www.cdwow.com (http://www.cdwow.com), they had it there for $12.99 with free shipping a couple weeks ago, this is the UK version and is in US dollars, a great deal since it will not be released in the US until February. (looks like they recently changed their site - it's now 8.99 pounds with free delivery)

About the CD, first of all I am a huge RA and Verve fan, I downloaded quite a while ago, and initially I was dissapointed, it defineately did not reach the heights of previous verve CDs and even RA's debut, but I have now bought it and gave it a few repeat listens, I do like it.

My favorite verve songs were their rockers. I also liked there 'ballad-y' songs, but stuff like "Come On", "New Decade", "This is Music", and "Gravity Grave" really got me going. the stuff on this CD is good but compares to the slower songs from "Alone With Everyone". If you are a fan definately pick this up.

remjim
11-04-02, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by fazeem

About the CD, first of all I am a huge RA and Verve fan, I downloaded quite a while ago, and initially I was dissapointed, it defineately did not reach the heights of previous verve CDs and even RA's debut, but I have now bought it and gave it a few repeat listens, I do like it.

My favorite verve songs were their rockers. I also liked there 'ballad-y' songs, but stuff like "Come On", "New Decade", "This is Music", and "Gravity Grave" really got me going. the stuff on this CD is good but compares to the slower songs from "Alone With Everyone". If you are a fan definately pick this up. [/B]

I agree. I picked up a promo at a record shop for 5 bucks about three weeks ago and at first was rather disappointed with it. Lately though it has been growing on me. Its been rather difficult for me to appreciate Ashcroft's solo phase because of the heights he reached in The Verve. That and I terribly miss Nick Mcabe's psychedlic touch that seemed to balance Ashcroft's sensitve side.

Does that make any sense? What I mean is that when The Pixies broke up and the first couple of Frank Black and Breeders albums came out, you could tell what each side brought what to the music. With Ashcroft's solo work I think that this also applies. Both of these solo outings have a weighty feel to them that was present in such Verve songs like Sonnet and History but Mcabe;s guitar seemed to punch up those songs and tighten them. These last two solo outings have songs that go on for far too long and are usually weighed down by their over-dramatic nature.

Still, pick it up. I'm just being overly critical because I love the man's music so much and miss the dizzying heights that he reached with The Verve.

fazeem
11-05-02, 04:31 PM
Its been rather difficult for me to appreciate Ashcroft's solo phase because of the heights he reached in The Verve. That and I terribly miss Nick Mcabe's psychedlic touch that seemed to balance Ashcroft's sensitve side.

I totally agree with you, Nick McCabe is terribly missed. He really was an integral part to the Verve and was a great balance to Richard's ballads. At least his last solo record had that slide guiratist on it, I think Richard is the main guitarist on this record.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0