Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Popup ads during sports events: is this new?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t watch much sports. OK. By some folks opinion, I don’t watch any.

I’m watching a NASCAR race on TNT and they’ve got these popups during the race, about the same size as the magazine popups we get here.

So far, it’s only pimping TNT shows. This frees up air time for actual paid commercials, I guess. The last one popped up right after a commercial break.

Is this happening during other [“mainstream”] sports broadcasts?

How long do you suppose it’ll be before they start selling, at reduced rates, of course, actual commercial popup time?

How long do you suppose it’ll be before they start doing it during other types of shows?

Note that I’m not talking about banners at the bottom of the screen. That’s pretty much everywhere now.
Old 11-02-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what you mean by "popup" but if I'm interpreting you correctly, it's been going on for a couple of years, particularly on Turner channels.

When TBS picked up Big-XII football, a little cheerleader would flip across the screen and hold up a little sign announcing when the games would start. It was during some dead time at Braves games. They've done the same thing with NASCAR for a lot longer. A car would stop on the bottom of the screen, a little pit crew would run out to fix it, and then it would drive off advertizing an upcoming NASCAR event.

Frankly, I don't mind it too much during sporting events. There's so much deadtime that I don't find it bothersome when appropriately used. However, I think we know that it likely won't be appropriately used much longer.

das
Old 11-02-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about an oversized picture-in-picture, then? I thought “popup” would give the appropriate visual.

Yeah, TNT have been doing those little skits since at least last season. I think that cheerleader has been run over quite a number of times.

The popups are less irratating, IMO, and I got a feeling that because of that they’ll be used more and more.

Gotta love Turner. Colorization. xx:05 starting times. Popups and such. A real innovator.
Originally posted by das Monkey
However, I think we know that it likely won't be appropriately used much longer.
Tell me about it.