Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

My son erased my Mario Sunshine Game!!!! (oh well!)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-02, 05:14 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Yup, came home from work to find my son playing the GC, and he had started over on one of the saves.

His is "C", and I play on "A" and back it up on "B". Well, I exited his game and went to load my game, all gone... all of them, except "C". He had told my mom, who is visiting, that he was going to play on "daddy's game" (my wife had come to pick me up from work).

In the process, he had erased both "A" and "B". Now my son (whose 4) knows his letters and knows that "C" is his, and he knows not to play my game. We actually have a little gray card that is specifically for him, but we don't know where it went. (We suspect that its in the case of a game that a friend is borrowing.) My card is a black Nyko 8MB card... and its that, my card!

I flew off my rocker and turned the cube off, sent my son to his room and sternly protested the use of my card unsupervised. My mom (being sweet like she always is) tried to take the blame, but my son knows better.

What course of action should I take? Has this ever happened to you?

We are looking for the gray card and are going to strictly enforce that rule, but I don't quite know what do with my son. He's in enough pain right now know dady is mad.

By the way, I don't have alot of time to play SMS, but I had managed to get 32 shines and was almost ready to unlock Yoshi. Some of those levels were really tough, now I have to start over.
Old 10-31-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a shame. Maybe instead of blaming him, or your mom, blame yourself for leaving "your" card laying around?

But that's just my opinion, and they are like *******s, everyone's got one.
Old 10-31-02, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
That's a shame... blame yourself for leaving "your" card laying around?
We just got Mario Party 4, and my wife had been playing it. It was out when she came to get me, and my son had asked if he could play his game ("C") on Mario Sunshine... she agreed. He's played it by himself before, I just wonder what possed him to do it.

Chalk it up as a learning experience...

Maybe I should change my sig to: "Video Game Talk... the better alternative to beating your children!"
Old 10-31-02, 05:49 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't punish him he is only four.

think of all the people who can't have kids.
Old 10-31-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That sucks, but what can you do but live and learn. Try to turn it into a positive experience. You should be able to get back to where you were faster than before. I don't have any kids, but judging from what other people post I'm gonna have to put everything on high shelves.
Old 10-31-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe he's crying out for you to play SMS with him and not by yourself. But I wouldn't punish him.
Old 10-31-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The kid is 4 give him a break. Jeez.
Old 10-31-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you have to do something with him before it's too late, maybe have a police officer come out to the house & scare him a little bit or take him down to juvi for a couple days.

Your other option is to write him off all together, you could list him on ebay or sell him into child slavery
Old 10-31-02, 07:46 PM

That is the lamest thing a kid could get punished for. Your a dad that plays video games. That's cool. Don't make it uncool.
Old 10-31-02, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by WhattheFFF
you have to do something with him before it's too late, maybe have a police officer come out to the house & scare him a little bit or take him down to juvi for a couple days.

Your other option is to write him off all together, you could list him on ebay or sell him into child slavery
Old 10-31-02, 08:26 PM

I take it that you were far ahead of him in that game collecting shines. Your son is very wise to know that when someone else is winning to just take out the competition.

Reward him.
Old 10-31-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Don't get mad. Play with him.
Old 10-31-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, he was getting a little jealous of your shines, so he decided he wanted to be in the lead for awhile
Old 10-31-02, 09:00 PM

punishing a 4 year old over a video game is just wrong.
Old 10-31-02, 09:23 PM

Lock him in a closet and dont feed him for a day. He'll learn his lesson
Old 10-31-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

think of it this way, you can have another son but your game has been erased forever

Last edited by WhattheFFF; 10-31-02 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-31-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man I say beat his bottom black and blue. Just today I had to take a pi$$ and when I get back my 6 year old got busted by the cops on my vice city. I was so angry for ruining my record man I jsut let him have it.

This is just a joke by the way, I would say just keep your card out of his reach. He is only 4 and while he may know the difference he is still going to be curious and also want to be just like daddy so he can impress you. My son was doing that for awhile with GT3, he kept begging me to let him race with my cars so I did once then he kept winning and showing me how much money he could earn for me. It really made him happy to impress me.
Old 10-31-02, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by WhattheFFF
think of it this way, you can have another son but your game has been erased forever

Old 10-31-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope you're not seriously looking for advice on how to discipline your kid, because you've come to the absolute wrong place for that.
Old 10-31-02, 10:25 PM
Mod Emeritus

Make him play Hotel Mario that came out for CD-i for 12 hours straight to teach him a lesson.
Old 11-01-02, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Aghama
I hope you're not seriously looking for advice on how to discipline your kid, because you've come to the absolute wrong place for that.
No I'm not. I just thought that I'd vent and see if anyone else has had experiences like this.

I know that with the Memory Cards for systems, we can have tighter control on our "saves". I remember as a kid that my friend's big brother would erase his Zelda game so that he and his friends could start over. I even knew someone who's parents had purchased two copies of DragonWarrior for the NES so that the fueding brothers wouldn't play each other's games.

I was just trying to start a conversation that to a serious different turn than I expected.
Old 11-01-02, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i disagree with the do not punish crowd.

there is nothing wrong with showing a 4 year old that you must respect other's property. he knew he was playing daddy's game so i am sure he will be far more careful in the future. I think limiting or reducing his access to the gc from a short time is fine , and i also believe an explanation about why he is being punished is necessary.
Old 11-01-02, 08:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This is why I sold all my kids to Kathy Lee.
Old 11-01-02, 08:45 AM

You should erase your son's game too. In this case, he's not ahead of you and everybody starts from scratch again.
Old 11-01-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

eye for an eye? I say teach the child compasion and show him how much you love him. Sitting him down and talking to him about it is one thing but punishing him over a video game is just wrong. Especially since he is only 4. I don't agree with the erasing of his game either, don't want to show him that two wrongs make a right now do ya?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.