Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DOH! moments in gaming history...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 05:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOH! moments in gaming history...

You know what I mean...rulebooks are so complex for some games, and who really reads them anyways?!? I'm talking about those moments in a game when you realize you could do something that would make the game 10x easier to play then the way you've been doing it!

I had one yesterday...after about 5 hours on Timesplitters 2, I realized that when using the sniper gun, you could actually ZOOM IN to the target and make sniping MUCH easier. Of course, at that point, I was already really proficient at shooting wee tiny targets, but that was a big DOH!

Yours?

FS
Old 10-30-02, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That one pipe in the 2nd or 3rd level of Mario Brothers that can transport you SO far into the game, I didn't find out about that till like months later at a friends house..... doh!
Old 10-30-02, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I was playing Oddworld on Xbox and this one level I'm supposed to save these dudes... well, it took me hours because I had dropped them off a ledge and had to walk them down this narrow walkway covered in mines and bombs... I had to carry them each one by one and save after every one because it was a certainty that I'd blow myself up every 4 minutes. Then I get them all to safety and I figured I'd blow something up on the level now before I exit... I blow up this wall revealing a pathway leading straight to the exit from where I initially found them - the pathway was protected from enemies and had no bombs on it... DOH!
Old 10-30-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I didn't know you could zoom the rocket launcher in HALO. I also didn't realize the Banshee had a rocket launcher.

In Onimusha, I didn't use BLOCK as much as I should've the first time around. I wish RESIDENT EVIL had blocking of some kind....
Old 10-30-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DOH! The Banshee has a rocket launcher????!!!

Providing daily DOH! moments in all walks of life,
Stoolie
Old 10-30-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In Phantasy Star, once you find the sword of (something, forgot the exact name) on an island (i think), you will kick so much butt
Old 10-30-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I learned to play FPS games using only a keyboard - arrow keys, ctrl to fire and space bar to jump (when the game actually had a jump)... I got pretty good that way too. I never wanted to go over to using the mouse. I was playing this way since Doom and all the way to Quake 2! So I'm holding my own in Quake 2 using just arrow keys and then half-life comes out and I decide to learn the whole mouse/keyboard thing. DOH!
Old 10-30-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played SSX all the way through without "pre-winding" the snowboarder. After many hours (and repeating the first level many times over using the super trick power up), I managed to get everyone's trick book complete except for one move for Jurgen.

It wasn't until I played SSX Tricky and did the "show me" during the practice tricks section, that I found out if I held down the pad in the direction I wanted to spin, I could do tricks much easier. I went back to SSX and did the trick with Jurgen first time. DOH!

Last edited by Lampei; 10-30-02 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-30-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In Bionic Commando me and my friend stuggled for days to shoot the arm diagonally. We thought you had to push up AND to the side to get it to go diagonal. Turns out that if you don't press ANY direction it defaults to shooting diagonally. DOH!
Old 10-30-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I was playing Castlevania on the Super NES at my cousin's house and was really far into the game. I was playing the final boss and spent about 10 hours getting that far. Out of nowhere my cousin says, "What's this thing still on for?" And he turns off the Super NES. He thought I was playing the Genesis which was sitting right next to it.

DOH!
Old 10-30-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CharlesC
In Bionic Commando me and my friend stuggled for days to shoot the arm diagonally. We thought you had to push up AND to the side to get it to go diagonal. Turns out that if you don't press ANY direction it defaults to shooting diagonally. DOH!
Now that is funny.
Old 10-30-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was stuck in Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance before finally realizing that big room with the warp keyhole was the place I needed to go and push up to enter. I actually had the same problem saving the game at save points for a while until I finally broke down and read the manual.

~Scheherazade
Old 10-30-02, 11:35 AM

In Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I was at the place with the female Gerudo guards. You had to be real careful to sneak past the guards... If you didn't time your moves perfectly, you'd get caught and thrown back in the jail. It took me many many tries, but I eventually got through it. About a week later, my sister gets to the same part, and the first thing she does is shoot the guards with arrows. That stuns them for a while so you can easily walk right past them. I did it the hard way when I didn't have to. D'oh!
Old 10-30-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by rabbit77
I was playing Castlevania on the Super NES at my cousin's house and was really far into the game. I was playing the final boss and spent about 10 hours getting that far. Out of nowhere my cousin says, "What's this thing still on for?" And he turns off the Super NES. He thought I was playing the Genesis which was sitting right next to it.
HOLY CRAP!!!! Please tell me that your cousin got a bad case of the noggies, wet willies, a swirly, or something to pay him back for that.
Old 10-30-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mezzanine
In Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I was at the place with the female Gerudo guards. You had to be real careful to sneak past the guards... If you didn't time your moves perfectly, you'd get caught and thrown back in the jail. It took me many many tries, but I eventually got through it. About a week later, my sister gets to the same part, and the first thing she does is shoot the guards with arrows. That stuns them for a while so you can easily walk right past them. I did it the hard way when I didn't have to. D'oh!
D'oh!

I had a similar experience but it was with Zelda: Majora's Mask. I was stuck in the Great Bay Temple. I spent some time trying to figure out how to advance in this level. I just couldn't seem to reach the unexplored areas.

Then my nephew visits me that day and I let him play the game, and the first thing he does is randomly
Spoiler:
shoot an ice arrow into the water and discovers that this creates small floating ice platforms.
This is of course how you access the rest of the Great Bay Temple areas.

D'oh!

Last edited by CreatureX; 10-30-02 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-30-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ff7 - never knew what any of the balls did - i gave myself 3 days to beat the game b/c i had to study for finals so i was zooming over a lot of the tutorials. since it wasn't a major component in the other ff's from the s/nes, i thought it was just some gimmicky thing. only about 20 or so hours in did i realize what they were for.

animal crossing, groucho just posted up a tip that should save me hours (selling multiple items at once). on a side note, i remember someone posting that he was looking everywhere for a kitty cat that was meowing - turns out that it's part of the bakcground song/music

Old 10-30-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Early on in Silent Hill 2, I was looking for 5 coins to insert into the puzzle that only requires 3 coins (I should read clues more carefully). Spent hrs....

Chris
Old 10-30-02, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by Stoolie
DOH! The Banshee has a rocket launcher????!!!

Providing daily DOH! moments in all walks of life,
Stoolie

Woah! The Banshee really has a rocket launcher???? What buttion do you press to fire it????
Old 10-30-02, 09:00 PM

Playing half way through Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time and then finding out the Z Button locks you onto your target. DOH!
Old 10-30-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Technically, the Banshee does not have a rocket launcher. It has a "fuel rod gun" which is similar to what the Hunters and some of the higher-level Grunts use. The fuel rod gun fires its shots in an arc (unlike rockets), and it does much less damage than a rocket (maybe equivalent to a grenade?).

Press the left trigger to fire the fuel rod gun on the banshee.
Old 10-31-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by WWE Jedi
HOLY CRAP!!!! Please tell me that your cousin got a bad case of the noggies, wet willies, a swirly, or something to pay him back for that.
He got his beat down. There were 4 of us in the room and the three of us were just in total disbelief thinking WTF? Then he says, "OH! I thought you were playing Genesis?!" So I pounced on him and we all sat on him for a minute or two. We're still not sure if he really did it on accident to this day.
Old 10-31-02, 09:53 AM

When I had first played Animal Crossing I had rented it and didn't know it needs an almost empty mem. card to save. I started up the game with my 5 blocks free card and proceed to erase a couple files thinking it would be enough to save. Silly me, when I find out you need 57 free blocks to save. So it turns out I didn't have to erase those files as the next day I went out and bought a card 251 for AC.
Old 10-31-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
when i found out 2/3 of the way through Resident Evil that you could use the herbs for health.
Old 10-31-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The map for the original Zelda that was in Nintendo Power. OH god was that awesome..
Old 10-31-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
A new one-in Tony Hawk 4, at first I didn't realize that you just have to be close to a vehicle to skitch it. I wasted time getting myself positioned right behind it before pressing "up."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.