Reload this Page >

I have a gripe about NCAA Football 2003

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-29-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I was playing NCAA Football 2003 on my Ps2 and in Season mode I am seven games in. Four offensive players on my team are Heisman candidates. My tight end for my beloved Vols is the Heisman frontrunner. My QB is offensive MVP. My WR is Best WR and My RB is Best RB. I average 100 points a game in five minute quarters. I have allowed zero points on defense and I am number two in the rankings. My team is way better than Oklahoma(NO. 1) in the game they have given up over 400 points on defense. Can you not jump the number one team? . If you can't then if two undefeated teams were in front of you and they are worse than you they can go to the National Championship Game and not you. Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old 10-29-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strength of Schedule might be hurting you. There's a lot of good teams in the Big 12 for OU to beat.
Old 10-29-02, 10:31 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is tough to jump the number 1 team in real life, assuming they don't lose. Generally the preason number 1 will stay there until they lose, regardless if someone else is playing better.

That said, I've seen some strange stuff in the game's rankings, like Marshall being ranked #1.
Old 10-29-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Much like real life!

Miami, last year's national champion, could go undefeated and still not be in the BCS Championship game, because of strength of schedule. Except it's not really their fault, since their conference, for the first time in years, is terrible. Who would've thought that Florida, Florida State, and Tennessee would all be horrible?
Old 10-30-02, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You think you've got it bad? I'm playing with the Air Force Academy and I've gone 9-0 so far and I'm still only ranked 18th (17th in the media poll). I could go undefeated and still not make it to a BCS bowl, let alone the championship game. Heck, Florida has a 6-3 record and is ranked three spots ahead of me.

But I'm having a blast. In the Notre Dame game, Notre Dame scored a touchdown with 53 seconds left in the game to go ahead 17-16. I then ran the 2-minute drill to perfection, driving the length of the field to kick a nail-biting game-winning field goal as time ran out. Woo-hoo!!!
Old 10-30-02, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished a Dynasty as the Gators and I was ranked #1, but that's because unlike the Real Life Gators, I could beat Miami at the Swamp (National Championship game was against the as well, and was a lot harder than the earlier one).

How are you scoring over 100 points a game? you playing on easy?
Old 10-30-02, 07:55 AM
Retired

Originally posted by fujishig

Miami, last year's national champion, could go undefeated and still not be in the BCS Championship game, because of strength of schedule. Except it's not really their fault, since their conference, for the first time in years, is terrible. Who would've thought that Florida, Florida State, and Tennessee would all be horrible?
None of those teams are in their conference. Florida and Tennessee are in the SEC, and Florida State is in the ACC.

The Big East is:

Miami
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Boston College
Syracuse
Rutgers
Temple

The conference is pretty much as good as it has been in recent years. They've sent 5 teams to bowls the past 2 years (and went 4-1 both times) and look to send 5 again (the first five in the list).

So it's Miami's non-conference schedule that isn't that great for once, due to some traditional powers having off years. But if they win out they'll likely finish in the top 2 in the BCS. The VT game will bump their strenght of schedule, and Notre Dames schedule is easier now, so their strenght of schedule will drop the rest of the year, with the exception of USC.
Old 10-30-02, 07:56 AM
Retired

If you play with someone like Air Force, do a custom schedule and swap out the patsies for ranked teams. That's the only way you'll get a championship.
Old 10-30-02, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fujishig
Much like real life!

Hey! My beloved Vols have lost too many players due to injury. One game their starting QB doesn't play and the next game their All everything WR doesn't play. They lost their best RB for four week. They also lost two All American LBs for the year. They lost two great underclassmen last year Stallworth and Haynesworth. I think they were ranked too high this year. The are also fumbling way too much. They have never done that before. They can get back into my good graces by beating Miami which I hope they can pull off. I was the only person in Tennessee who said they could beat Florida at the swamp last year. If UT's QB and WR are healthy I think they will give Miami a run for their money. I don't think Miami will have ever seen as fast of a defense as UT has.
Old 10-30-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dgmayor
I just finished a Dynasty as the Gators and I was ranked #1, but that's because unlike the Real Life Gators, I could beat Miami at the Swamp (National Championship game was against the as well, and was a lot harder than the earlier one).

How are you scoring over 100 points a game? you playing on easy?
Yeah, I was just doing it to test the system and show how bad it is.
Old 10-30-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
If you play with someone like Air Force, do a custom schedule and swap out the patsies for ranked teams. That's the only way you'll get a championship.
Yep, you're right about that. IRL, they do try to schedule quality teams. Oklahoma played them last year and California was ranked when they played this year. They try to get Notre Dame every year but at the same time are locked in with Army and Navy. Having to play the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy games and their league schedule doesn't give them very many options.

Most of the high ranking teams are reluctant to play Air Force because of the flexbone offense. They say they can't properly prepare for it in only a weeks time.

Another way to get a championship would be to have a bowl playoff series. Maybe I'll seed the top 16 teams and see how it works out. But having to beat 4 top teams in a row - man, that would be tough!
Old 10-30-02, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What level of difficulty is everyone playing this at? I played at easy level to learn it, and it was too easy. I up it to varsity, and suddenly my team can't play.
Old 10-30-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been playing Varsity from the beginning now I believe. I never wanted to delude myself with the easy mode. Start losing right away and it can only get better!
Old 10-30-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What happened? Did something totally unrealistic happen, like did A&M play all four quarters of a game?
Old 10-30-02, 11:26 AM

I started at Varsity level in dynasty mode with my team, the Colorado State Rams. I kept playing in varsity mode until I won the National Championship in year 4. Now I upped it to All American and I am going to play until I get another National championship. Then I will up it to Heisman and do the same. I slowly up the difficulty and I seem to be doing well. This is a great game.
Old 10-30-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with you, Wutang9. I'm playing my first season with Air Force and Colorado at the Varsity level and I'll move up a level for next season. Varsity is just too easy.

Hey, I hope both teams are up for the CSU-AF match tomorrow and we get a good game out of them. I think that Air Force got caught looking ahead last Saturday during the Wyoming game. The Falcons are so small they can't just show up and dominate anybody.
Old 10-30-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: I have a gripe about NCAA Football 2003

Originally posted by lwhy?
I was playing NCAA Football 2003 on my Ps2 and in Season mode I am seven games in. Four offensive players on my team are Heisman candidates. My tight end for my beloved Vols is the Heisman frontrunner. My QB is offensive MVP. My WR is Best WR and My RB is Best RB. I average 100 points a game in five minute quarters. I have allowed zero points on defense and I am number two in the rankings. My team is way better than Oklahoma(NO. 1) in the game they have given up over 400 points on defense. Can you not jump the number one team? . If you can't then if two undefeated teams were in front of you and they are worse than you they can go to the National Championship Game and not you. Has this ever happened to anyone?

I can't enjoy sports games like this. If the stats aren't true to life it kills the fun.......
Old 10-30-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As he said, he was playing on easy just to prove his point about the BCS implementation.
Old 10-30-02, 01:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
What happened? Did something totally unrealistic happen, like did A&M play all four quarters of a game?
There are four quarters in a football game? Does R.C. know this?

No, I know what happened... Texas was actually ranked realistically, instead of being overrated like they are year after year.
Old 10-30-02, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Tandem
I'm with you, Wutang9. I'm playing my first season with Air Force and Colorado at the Varsity level and I'll move up a level for next season. Varsity is just too easy.

Hey, I hope both teams are up for the CSU-AF match tomorrow and we get a good game out of them. I think that Air Force got caught looking ahead last Saturday during the Wyoming game. The Falcons are so small they can't just show up and dominate anybody.
Are you going to the game tomorrow?
Old 10-30-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lwhy?
My team is way better than Oklahoma(NO. 1) in the game they have given up over 400 points on defense. Can you not jump the number one team?
Highly doubtful....no one, I mean NO ONE is better than the Oklahoma Sooners !!!!!!!! (Soon to be) 2003 National Champs!!

SOONERS BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Wutang9
Are you going to the game tomorrow?
Nope, I haven't seen a game in years. I used to go all the time when I was working with the faculty and I had direct contact with the Cadets. Now I work out away from the Cadet Area and so I don't get to experience the steady build up of enthusiasm and excitement during the week. I'll be trying to get off base before the traffic builds up.

I guess I've drifted off into being more of a casual fan than a hardcore one.
Old 10-30-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: I have a gripe about NCAA Football 2003

Originally posted by SoonerDoc
Highly doubtful....no one, I mean NO ONE is better than the Oklahoma Sooners !!!!!!!! (Soon to be) 2003 National Champs!!
Hmmm.... that depends upon whether or not that team from Boulder can play up to their potential this weekend. If memory serves me correct, Oklahoma hasn't chalked up one in the win column against Colorado since 1988. I guess that means they're due. Right?
Old 10-30-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You have a choice before the season starts to pick 4 teams you would like to play outside of your confrence,so what I do is pick the #1 & #2 teams and a few other tuffies,this will get you your #1 ranking if you go undefeated.
Old 10-30-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: I have a gripe about NCAA Football 2003

Originally posted by Tandem
Hmmm.... that depends upon whether or not that team from Boulder can play up to their potential this weekend. If memory serves me correct, Oklahoma hasn't chalked up one in the win column against Colorado since 1988. I guess that means they're due. Right?

tandem,

i'll be there sat afternoon so i will report back.....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.