Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

EB won't pricematch Bestbuy for Vice City!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought the Best Buy flyer today when I picked up my pre ordered copy at EB. The manager saw my flyer and right away told me "we won't pricematch best buy because they don't have it yet". I told him what about if they have it tomorrow will you pricematch it? He said he would if Best Buy still had copies left. So I called Best Buy in the afternoon and they said they had it in stock. Called EB again and asked if they would pricematch it today since Best Buy had it and they still had some in stock. Then the manager told me "oh we got a notice from the District Manager, telling us not to price match Best Buy". I kept insisting on their policy and he said there's nothing he could do since he got it from the District Manager. I asked for the District's phone # and he gave it to me. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Isn't this shady for a store not to follow their policy because they know the game will sell with or without the pricematch? Damn you EB!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will copy my post over from another thread about EB's supposed price matching policy...

Interestingly enough, I decided to call the customer service number about this so-called "Code of Honor" on the website. Anyhoo, they said that Corporate has decided that Best Buy is going to be one of those places that they exclude in their code of honor.

Pretty hilarious...the code of honor is only applicable when they see fit. Some honor in that.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EB Store Code of Honor Program
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
We guarantee to have the lowest price in town. If you see one of our competitors offering the same item at a lower price, we'll match that item for you! See Sales Associate for complete details.
Old 10-29-02, 09:45 PM
Banned

My EB didn't pricematch either! I dropped a few F-Bombs in front of the manager. I'll be boycotting EB after I used my $30 voucher for buying an X Box bundle and a game. It's not like they have good prices or specials anyway.
Old 10-29-02, 09:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

Take it to corporate like Gcribbs did at BB!
Old 10-29-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Boycott EB. Tell your friends to as well.

Better yet, stage a protest out front if you have time. Detract potential customers. Stick it to them.

I am so serious.
Old 10-29-02, 10:01 PM

yeah i was all excited that i pre-ordered mine too, the day before they call and say they dont pricematch, i say screw them, drive there and pricematch tony hawk 4 at 34.99 (fry's electronics)~ next day go to bestbuy and use my zoner coupons and wittle the cost of Vice City down to a measly 24.99~ Do I kick ass or what?
Old 10-29-02, 10:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Just pick it up at Best Buy if they have the better price. Problem solved.
Old 10-29-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
And if it's not there, order it online from bestbuy.com this week.
Old 10-29-02, 10:16 PM

Hopefully Best Buy.com will start selling this again. As of right now they are not. Their site must have been slammed.
Old 10-29-02, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Whoa, I didn't know that!
Old 10-29-02, 10:42 PM

I posted this in a nother thread today but Toys R US didn't match Best Buy's price today either. They said the same thing about it being "not in stock" there. It was total BS. Oh well, at least the game is good
Old 10-29-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Circuit City Regular Price is 39.99 - at least the ones in Chicago
Old 10-29-02, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by donnie5
I posted this in a nother thread today but Toys R US didn't match Best Buy's price today either. They said the same thing about it being "not in stock" there. It was total BS.
COMPUSA pulled the same crap on me. Whores. They just lost a customer.
Old 10-30-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
well in EB's defense, BB has the release for Vice City as 10/30. However, how you people can support these corporate game stores like EB, Babbage's and so forth is beyond me. Support your mom and pop shops first.
Old 10-30-02, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Deftones17
well in EB's defense, BB has the release for Vice City as 10/30. However, how you people can support these corporate game stores like EB, Babbage's and so forth is beyond me. Support your mom and pop shops first.
Ahh yes, the local mom and pop store with a crap selection and over-charges for their games!
Old 10-30-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if someone will post up an EB games feedback email addy, I'll be glad to drop them an intelligent complaint about their price matching policy. Cussing them out like a spoiled 14 year old kid won't help but some real complaint mail *might* help...
Old 10-30-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I'm going to go buy from some mom and pop store that still charges $50 for Dreamcast games. I think not...... Besides, don't even have an m&p around here - the $50 is the pricing I saw on quite a few of the DC games at Toys R Us Monday night, hahaha.
I buy from EB and Babbage's because the people there know what they're talking about, for one thing. I can BS with those guys about all kinds of stuff while I'm there, and they can give me hookups on stuff. Hell, I don't even know the guys at EB, but since I went there three times on Monday and talked to the same guys working there, they knew from my first trip that I had pre-ordered VC at Babbage's, and they got me a copy instead that night, so I had it early. They also noticed my GameCube Resident Evil shirt and gave me an RE 0 demo disc and GameCube demo DVD.
Also, I can find rare games in those two stores that I've never seen anywhere else. Those are the only places I was able to find Time Crisis 2, Vampire Night, Castlevania: SOTN, and Final Fantasy Anthology.
EB was the first place to have Document of Metal Gear 2, Contra: Shattered Soldier, and Vice City in town. Babbage's was second, and didn't have Document or Contra in for a few days. As a matter of fact, Babbage's hadn't even HEARD of Document when I asked them about it on the release day, so I went over to EB and grabbed it.
One last thing - I bought 7 DC games, a new VMU, and got 2 free controllers(new) thrown in for a total of $58 thanks to the 20% off at EB. That was a great way to start off my Dreamcast, since I had just bought the core system Saturday night. Can't believe all that I missed out on these last few years.
Old 10-30-02, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I won't buy much of anything at EB anymore cuz they open all their games as an "anti-theft" measure... As far as I'm concerned, that's a used game now.
Old 10-30-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree complain in writing and by calling.

get the names of those you talk to on the phone and then make them famous in writing. Go all the way up to corporate and let those you talk to at the local level know you will be using their names in letters to corporate- and do it if they do not budge. If they refuse to give you names- note time and date you spoke to them and that they refused to give you a name.

They expect you to bend over and take it and not write corporate. Most companies will respond to letters and well thought out emails.
Old 10-30-02, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Most stores I've shopped at that have price matching will only match if the item is in stock at the other place... that's a pretty reasonable thing I'd say... I mean, if you can't really buy it at another store, then why should they price match?
Old 10-30-02, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by matrixrok9
I brought the Best Buy flyer today when I picked up my pre ordered copy at EB.....
So I called Best Buy in the afternoon and they said they had it in stock.
So if they had it in stock at BestBuy... why didn't you just drive to that store and buy it?

Why all the fuss? I just don't get it.

-k
###
Old 10-30-02, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Keyser Soze
So if they had it in stock at BestBuy... why didn't you just drive to that store and buy it?

Why all the fuss? I just don't get it.

-k
###
maybe EB was closer or he was trying to use credits from some dvd or game trade ins.
Old 10-30-02, 05:43 AM

ya know guys, don't get pissed at me, but EB & Toys R Us & Comp USA don't care about the 2 or 3 "little" people who get pissed over a price match that they are not required by law to do, because they still get enough sales from the people who do not boycott stores on the previous fact.

just my opinion
Old 10-30-02, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Continue to stick it to EB.

I had a problem with their return policy a year or so ago, so I wrote corporate. It took them a couple of weeks to get back to me, but when they did, they sent me a $20 gift card for the $20 item I found to be defective. So in addition to my $20 returned voucher they gave me another $20 in order to retain me.

I wrote a well thought out complaint, not any screw you, I hate EB, etc, etc. Now what they will do for this pricematch policy I do not know. At the very least they should get back to you. This will give us an idea of what they are attempting to do to keep our valuable business.

And another thing. If they claim to have a pricematch policy - they had better stick by it. A store can not pick and choose which offer it is going to allow, that would defeat the purpose of a pricematch policy. Legally can they abort there policy, probably. But it becomes a matter of ethics when you sway on both sides of the fence with your policy. "It's one thing for an older release to be price matched, but the hottest game of the season, we can't do that." That sort of thing is what seems to be going on here, and no where on their site do they state that as being their pseudo-policy.

Last edited by spankyj; 10-30-02 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-30-02, 07:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Keyser Soze
Please, Keyser. Common sense is not welcome in this forum.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.