DVD Talk
try to listen to all of your cds within the next few months [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : try to listen to all of your cds within the next few months

Rypro 525
10-27-02, 07:56 PM
and then say which is best and which one is worse. i think this would be a good way to finally hear stuff you havent heard in a while and the stuff that you cant believe now that you actually enjoyed back then. also try not to skip tracks and those with cd or dvd changers this will be alot easier. tyr to play them in alphabetical order by band and then by release date if you have more than one of there cds. the first cd that i have to listen to is acdc back in black

das Monkey
10-27-02, 08:36 PM
I did this once. I had about 400 CDs at the time and a huge project that would take months. This was before the mp3 era, so I still had a bunch of CDs lying around. I just went through them in the order they were in my Case Logic binders, which unfortunately was alphabetical by artist. There are a few artists I have around 30-40 CDs for, and it got a bit tiresome.

If I ever did it again (which I won't ... mp3s = too much music), I'd suggest alphabetical by album name. Even with bands I love, 50 hours in a row is a bit too much.

das

DarkElf
10-27-02, 09:50 PM
That would be agonizing. I have several CDs where I bought them strictly for a song or two, knowing I didn't like the rest. You CAN'T make me listen to every song on those CDs, you CAN'T.

I separate my CDs by genre, so while AC/DC Dirty Deeds is my first rock CD, I guess the first of any genre would be Paula Abdul/Forever Your Girl. :)

palebluedot
10-27-02, 10:41 PM
I would like to know who has time to do something like this. I try to listen to any kind of music every day, but it is pretty much limited to the drive in and drive home.

Too much living in the real world I guess. Either that or I need a new job.

Interesting thought though. I have been collecting CDs since they first came out and my collection obviously spans my taste in music and the changes it made over the years.

Gdrlv
10-27-02, 10:44 PM
Man...there's no way I could do this...I've got over 700 cds and no time to listen to every single one. Besides, I don't think I could pick a "best" and "worst" regardless. Depends too much on my mood when I'm listening.

Sonic
10-27-02, 10:47 PM
Of all my valuable CDs...ENIGMA remains on top! All four albums. NEVER will I see then any different in the far future either.

-Anthony

das Monkey
10-27-02, 11:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE> Quoth palebluedot <HR SIZE=1>I would like to know who has time to do something like this. I try to listen to any kind of music every day, but it is pretty much limited to the drive in and drive home. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luckily, I write software for a living, so I'm pretty much listening to music a good 6 hours each day. I can't code in silence. ;)

das

grunter
10-28-02, 11:17 AM
Let's see - rounding the collection down to 5000 discs and assuming each disc has approximately an hour of music on each disc - that's only about 208 days of continuous music - 24 hours a day.

Nope. I think I'll take a "bye" on this l'il project.

Yancey
10-28-02, 11:27 AM
I started doing this last year. Listen to every one of my CDs in alphabetical order, never skipping a track. I was doing this at work, getting through about 8 CDs a day. After two months I was halfway through the letter C when I knew that I had to stop. It was killing me.

The Antipodean
10-28-02, 12:01 PM
People who are out of college don't have time for this kind of thing.

atlantamoi
10-29-02, 07:40 AM
Yancey, that's hilarious. I don't think I'd even begin to attempt this. I have one CD rack that starts with the (sorry to admit) band ABC and ends with Julian Cope.

costanza187
10-29-02, 07:44 AM
Don't think I could do it.

JAA
10-29-02, 06:40 PM
I agree with the theory, but certainly NOT the timeframe allowed.

Alan Smithee
10-29-02, 09:02 PM
I did this once when I only had about 10 CDs, don't think I could do it again now! All my CDs are stored in the order I've bought them in (I hate re-arranging them every time I get a new one!) so you can see the various moods I've gone through (ones I bought after meeting my first girlfriend, then ones I bought after she dumped me!)

Scorpio
10-30-02, 12:43 AM
With around 1400 discs, this would be quite the job. Frank Sinatra occupies the most space with around 35 studio albums.

C-Mart
10-30-02, 03:01 AM
I did this a couple of years ago. I had between 3 and 4 hundred cds, and I listed them all out and numbered them. I then randomly picked 6 at a time to put into my CD changer, and never repeated a number. The only time I deviated from this was when I got a new CD... I would listen to it when I got it and then go back to 'The System'. To get through all the CDs took about 3-4 months listening during drive time to and from school, about 1-2 cds per day.

I don't think I will try it again, as you do tend to get hit with music you just aren't in the mood to hear.

-CM-

bralph
10-30-02, 10:46 AM
Can I skip the ones I have listed on half.com? Not sure I can make it through C & C Music Factory.

Unfortunately it seems neither can anyone else, cuz it's been listed there for a long long time.

Lateralus
10-30-02, 12:12 PM
I would never make it past Aerosmith. I have 600 and there is no way in hell I would listen to all of them.

das Monkey
10-30-02, 01:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE> Quoth bralph <HR SIZE=1>Not sure I can make it through C & C Music Factory. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, come on now. C+C Music Factory is mastery and full of jams that has to be pumped till your ears get sore, live from Brooklyn out to the California seashore ... or something like that.

das

majorjoe23
10-30-02, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by das Monkey
<BLOCKQUOTE> Quoth bralph <HR SIZE=1>Not sure I can make it through C & C Music Factory. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, come on now. C+C Music Factory is mastery and full of jams that has to be pumped till your ears get sore, live from Brooklyn out to the California seashore ... or something like that.

das

Holy crap, my friend made some C+C reference the other day and i broke into that exact verse.

anglagard
10-30-02, 03:41 PM
I have about 3000 CDs, so this would be rather difficult for me to do as well. But if I did, and started in alphabetical and chronological order, I would begin with:
ABEL GANZ - The Dangers of Strangers
and end with:
ZZ TOP - Deguello

Rypro 525
10-30-02, 03:44 PM
alright what im doing is listening to all of my cds but skiping tracks that i cant stand

The Antipodean
10-30-02, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Rypro 525
alright what im doing is listening to all of my cds but skiping tracks that i cant stand

So then you're really not listening to all your CDs then are you?

Out of curiousity, how many do you have? Most of us here who have several hundred or more (I haven't counted mine in a while, but I'd guesstimate 600) seem to think this is an unworkable idea. What's your count?

Yancey
10-30-02, 04:16 PM
My collections begins with:

!!! -- !!!

and ends with:

Frank Zappa -- Freak Out

So my bookends are solid anyway.

das Monkey
10-30-02, 04:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE> Quoth Rypro 525 <HR SIZE=1>alright what im doing is listening to all of my cds but skiping tracks that i cant stand <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, OK ... so you're cheating.

das

Jazzbutcher
10-31-02, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by atlantamoi
Yancey, that's hilarious. I don't think I'd even begin to attempt this. I have one CD rack that starts with the (sorry to admit) band ABC and ends with Julian Cope.

Don't knock ABC--Lexicon of Love was my first CD purchase in a collection of 800. It's a good album!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0