Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Honey I Shrunk the kids 16X9 in Japan

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-02, 07:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On 11/22

http://www.movies.co.jp/lineup/index...3202&subcode=0
Old 10-26-02, 07:38 AM
Banned

However, Honey I blew up the kid will not be

http://www.movies.co.jp/lineup/index...3204&subcode=0
Old 10-28-02, 08:16 AM

I got the UK version. Nice anamorphic transfer.
Old 10-28-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dvdjoy
I got the UK version. Nice anamorphic transfer.
Thanks, dvdjoy. I was not aware of that. I, of course, passed on the Region 1 fullscreen version.

I just ordered Shrunk from Bensonsworld.
Old 10-28-02, 10:42 PM
Banned

The UK version is not anamorphic.
Old 10-28-02, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by livewiretoo
The UK version is not anamorphic.
Really? It was just released about a month ago. It's pretty rare for widescreen releases to not be anamorphic these days.

Anyway, even if it's not it's a lot better than the fullscreen U.S. version so I'm still glad I ordered it.
Old 10-28-02, 11:45 PM
Banned

I would say the same thing usually, but with Disney and the info I have heard and after looking at Amazon.uk's webpage, all it says is the movie is widescreen. This could mean that it's in the OAR, but not necessarily anamorphic. Anyway, the price for the Japanese disc comes out to be about the same or less than the UK version and the Japanese disc for sure is anamorphic and NTSC w/o Pal speedup.
Old 10-29-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by livewiretoo
I would say the same thing usually, but with Disney and the info I have heard and after looking at Amazon.uk's webpage, all it says is the movie is widescreen. This could mean that it's in the OAR, but not necessarily anamorphic. Anyway, the price for the Japanese disc comes out to be about the same or less than the UK version and the Japanese disc for sure is anamorphic and NTSC w/o Pal speedup.
I checked several UK websites and all they said was "widescreen." I realize that means it may or may not be anamorphic.

Nevertheless, I'll stick with my order and be the Forum guinea pig for this one. I'll let you all know when I get it. And the PAL speedup doesn't bother me.
Old 10-30-02, 08:48 AM

Sorry, didn't know it wasn't anamorphic. I have a 16x9 TV (ISF-calibrated 53" Panny) & a Malata N996. The resulting image is quite detailed & nice. How do I check if a DVD is anamorphic or not if the Malata is auto-scaling to perfectly fit my 16x9 TV? Had me fooled since the picture quality is pretty impressive.
Old 11-02-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dvdjoy
Sorry, didn't know it wasn't anamorphic. I have a 16x9 TV (ISF-calibrated 53" Panny) & a Malata N996. The resulting image is quite detailed & nice. How do I check if a DVD is anamorphic or not if the Malata is auto-scaling to perfectly fit my 16x9 TV? Had me fooled since the picture quality is pretty impressive.
I received HISTK today (Bensonsworld is awesome; five days from order to delivery) and...

It is anamorphic. I have a Malata 996 player and a 4:3 Sony Wega TV and it is easy for me to tell if a DVD is anamorphic with this setup. And I agree with you that the picture is very nice.

Region 2 Disney!
Region 1 Disney!
Old 11-02-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
What's the aspect ratio?
Old 11-03-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rogue588
What's the aspect ratio?
1.85:1.
Old 02-27-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, this is a thread bump from quite a few years ago, but I have questions about this Japanese NTSC version. Does anyone own it? I'd rather not have the PAL speed up of the Region 2 version, that's the only reason I'd get this. I see that the person who started this thread has been banned, so unfortunately he won't be commenting on it. Is this considered region 3? I wasn't sure.

How is the picture quality? It doesn't have forced subtitles or anything, does it? (PS, I don't buy other region discs, well..ever, really, so that might be a dumb question)

ALSO- Where online is a good, reliable place to buy this disc? Can anyone recommend any good stores that sell it?

EDIT -- Now that I read more about it online, I see that there is a Region 4 Brazil version that is NTSC, but I see absolutely nothing about the Japanese Version mentioned in this thread. Anyone have any idea?

Last edited by Seantn; 02-27-08 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-27-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd like to get a widescreen version of this as well, as I picked up the region 1 version a couple of years ago and it's a terrible disc. No better than VHS except for the resolution. The 5.1 mix is just Dolby Pro Logic done so the viewer doesn't have to turn that feature on. I've loved this ever since I first saw it when it came out in 1989. I was 7 years old then, and I love it just as much now as I did 19 years ago.

Funny without being too childish or immature, touching without that sugary "Disney movie" feeling, good characters, music, effects, an all-around good movie that deserved a better DVD treatment.
Old 02-27-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to mention it was a really big movie at the time it came out (I think it was the 5th highest grossing film of 1989), and spawned a series of movies AND a tv series, you'd think Disney would give it a little respect. Even if they gave it no extras, just widescreen, I'd be ok with that.

I was 6 years old when it came out, and it's my favorite movie from my childhood.
Old 03-01-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was googling the movie when I came across some forum thread from a few years ago that said this movie was part of a list of "B" titles that were only to be released Pan/scan only. Guess I could try and find it again to link it, but reading that proved Disney simply doesn't care.
Old 03-06-08, 12:41 PM
Cool New Member

So, this is a thread bump from quite a few years ago, but I have questions about this Japanese NTSC version. Does anyone own it?
I do... Got it back in 2002 in Tokyo. It's anamorphic and picture quality is ok. No burned in subtitles, normal English audio. It's Region 2 though. If you really want a 16:9 version of this film this one'll do I guess if you have a region free player.

An interesting side note... The original English title of this movie is translated into Japanese as... another English word: the movie is called "Microkids" in Japan if you can believe that!

Unfortunately, checking amazon.co.jp, it appears to be out of print. Here is the Japanese name if anybody wants to search for it elsewhere: ミクロキッズ
Old 04-11-08, 02:01 AM

Slightly off topic, but there's a R3 Taiwanese release which claims to be widescreen as well. I'm ordering this along with another DVD from the same shop, so I'll let you know if it's also a suitable disc in terms of A/V quality.

Source: http://mall.jsdvd.com/product_info.p...73&language=us