Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Prime (GC)/Metroid Fusion (GBA) Link up Details

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-02, 10:41 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metroid Prime (GC)/Metroid Fusion (GBA) Link up Details

http://planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=3608

Beat Metroid Fusion and link up the games using the GC/GBA Link cable and you can play the original NES Metroid in Metroid Prime.

Beat Metroid Prime and link them up and you can wear Samus's suit from Metroid Fusion in Metroid Prime.

Pretty cool extras. I'd prefer Super Metroid to the original metroid though, but I can't complain as it's a cool bonus none the less.
Old 10-25-02, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet! That is damn cool! If only I had a gba...
Old 10-25-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I own a SNES & Super Metroid, so I don't care about that.

Pretty cool extras, but is that it? They were hyping the link-up like it was going to be a huge thing.
Old 10-25-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps Super Metroid is in there as well.

The extra's are nice, however I would really like to see Nintendo use the GBA for something more then a device to unlock things.
Old 10-25-02, 10:57 AM
Retired

I still have my SNES, but couldn't find my old copy of Super Metroid. I'd buy it again, but its generally $25+ everywhere I see it (gamestop, ebay etc.) and that's just more than I'm willing to pay for a game from two generations ago.
Old 10-25-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nah, you can get it a lot cheaper than $25 off eBay.
Old 10-25-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I picked up my copy of Super Metriod off of ebay about 3 months ago for around 7 dollars
Old 10-25-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I still have my SNES, but couldn't find my old copy of Super Metroid. I'd buy it again, but its generally $25+ everywhere I see it (gamestop, ebay etc.) and that's just more than I'm willing to pay for a game from two generations ago.
I think Super Metroid is worth $25 if it's sealed. Last year I saw a sealed copy of Metroid II (gameboy) sell for $50 on eBay! I imagine prices are higher right now on ebay with Metroid fever going around from the excitement of the upcoming new games.

Back on topic, I think the link-up features are cool. I knew the link-up feature wasn't going to be something huge due to the fact that it was being done at the last second.
Old 10-25-02, 11:44 AM

So you have to own (and finish) Metroid Fusion to play the original Metroid on GameCube? That's disappointing, since I have no plans on buying a Game Boy anytime soon. Hopefully there will be another way to access it.
Old 10-25-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Am I the only one that didn't really like Super Metroid? I thought the map made it too easy to figure out where you were, and there were too many hints telling you what type of bomb to put where to open up secrets.

Was the orginial Metroid that hard for people that Nintendo needed to "dumb down" the sequel? I hope Retro didn't feel the need to put up "THERE IS A SECRET PASSAGE HERE ===>" billboards all over Metroid Prime.
Old 10-25-02, 01:59 PM
Retired

Yeah, I want a sealed one, that's why I can't find it for under $25. I don't trust buying used crap off the net.

Personally I loved Super Metroid. It's probably my all time favortie game. I liked that there were lots of hints. I hate wandering around trying to figure out what to do next for hours on end. I'm pretty sick of Castlevania HOD on the GBA for just this reason.
Old 10-25-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Sigh.

No original metroid without a GBA.
No island in AC without a GBA.

This is not doing Nintendo much good in my decision as to whether I'll get rid of my Cube or not.

I guess at least with this, its not keeping me from the best things, its just a bonus, unlike AC.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 10-25-02 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-25-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only thing it keeps you from in AC is a couple crappy NES games. What it keeps you from in Metroid is one good NES game.
Old 10-25-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's not like the game you are actually buying doesn't work... The game is all there, it has no effect on the main product.
Old 10-25-02, 02:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Early reports made it sound like you'd be able to play the original NES game without a link.
Old 10-25-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
The game is all there, it has no effect on the main product.
It affects the main product in AC.

I'm not buying a GBA no matter how much they try to pressure me.
Old 10-25-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't trust buying used crap off the net.
Have you ever bought used crap off the net?
Old 10-25-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by juiio
It affects the main product in AC.

I'm not buying a GBA no matter how much they try to pressure me.
I see it as Nintendo saying thanks to those gamers who support their products (GC and GBA) buy making these bonus options appear with the GC/GBA link. That is what these things are, just small bonuses.

Animal Crossing can still be enjoyed without any GBA linkup. The GBA has minimal effect on the main AC game. The Metroid Prime GC/GBA connection is a great bonus for those who are going to spend $75-$80 buying both games next month. I think it's great Nintendo is providing these extras for those who support them. I'm looking forward to even more linkup extras in all future Nintendo games.

Old 10-25-02, 04:34 PM

Nintendo isn't trying to pressure anybody to buy a GBA. There are more of them sold than the Gamecube (by a huge margin). If anything it's the other way around.

They're fun bonus to owners of both systems, nothing more.
Old 10-25-02, 05:03 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Aghama
Have you ever bought used crap off the net?
No, and I don't intend on starting. If I buy something used, it's going to be frome EB, Gamestop, Blockbuster, etc. where I know I'll have no problems taking it back if it doesn't work.
Old 10-25-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's a cool bonus, but it is a far cry from the incredibly innovative idea that Nintendo bragged about. I'm on the fence about both games, but I already have both a GBA and GC so if they're good it won't be a big deal to pick up the link cable.
Old 10-25-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm... some complain that the GBA link keeps them from getting cool stuff and the rest think it is underused. So basically everybodys unhappy?

I have two GBAs.
Old 10-25-02, 06:56 PM
zig

People complain that they can't get stuff with the GBA linkup now, even though the extra things have been relatively minor. I can't imagine how much of an uproar there might be if they actually made it something useful and cool

If you think you're missing out on something big because you can't get to the island in AC, you don't know what you're missing.. it's not a thing worth crying over.

Again with MP.. Metroid I probably wouldn't even be a consideration to be included in Metroid Prime if they weren't trying to think of things to use the GBA link for. I think it's nice that they include extras like that. I don't have a GBA.. and I won't buy one for the tiny extras that GC games seem to utilize it for.. but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything noteworthy.
Old 10-25-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict
Hmmm... some complain that the GBA link keeps them from getting cool stuff and the rest think it is underused. So basically everybodys unhappy?
I think the use in Metroid is fine, but Nintendo was making it out like it was going to be earth-shattering.
Old 10-25-02, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
I think the use in Metroid is fine, but Nintendo was making it out like it was going to be earth-shattering.
Of course, Nintendo makes everything sound like it's earthshattering. Take those marketing guys with a grain of salt.

They need to realize: this game sells itself. I walked into my local EB yesterday (a very small store) and there was a big crowd of people around the Gamecube to play the demo.