Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Sunset Boulevard Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-02, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunset Boulevard Reviews

Any reviews yet - its out on Nov 5th.

When/if you find any post here.
Old 10-23-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, it was bumped to Nov. 26th, so it could be a couple of weeks until reviews start showing up, unfortunately.
Old 10-31-02, 12:37 PM

It's a Paramount title, so don't expect ANY reviews before 11/16 at the earliest...
Old 11-02-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Please use a question mark. I was all excited when I saw this thread and found nothing.

Anyway.........I'm looking forward to the DVD also........Can't wait!

They took the idols and smashed them, the Fairbankses, the Gilberts, the Valentinos! And who've we got now? Some nobodies!
Old 11-13-02, 12:24 PM

I've just heard that my copy is on the way to me so I'll be watching it tomorrow and will post my thoughts on the Sunset Boulevard DVD tomorrow night - I can hardly wait to see the movie it has always been a great favourite, I love the Waxman score ( which reminds me why doesn't someone record the complete score for Sunset and Bride of Frankenstein - the only version of the latter is the rather diappointing version released in England) and I think the films two central performances by William Holden and Gloria Swanson are superb. I met Gloria Swanson when she did her Swanson on Swanson booksigning tour in 1985, she was as sharp as a button and still as we say here in England "had all her chairs at home" ie senility had not set in!!
I'm really looking forward to seeing what I hope will be a fantastic looking transfer with a crisp soundtrack, and sparkling visuals.
Old 11-13-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Muir,

Varese Sarabande are releasing the score for Sunset Boulevard on cd on the 19th (of november).

check it out:
http://www.varesesarabande.com/detai...D066%2D316%2D2

also, regarding the DVD, Jeffrey Wells have some very positive things to say in his nov. 13 column here:
http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/elsewhere/index.html
Old 11-14-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dvdauthority got their review of it here:

http://www.dvdauthority.com/sunsetboulevard.asp
Old 11-14-02, 05:52 PM

Sunset Boulevard - well worth the long wait!!

Well after a long wait here it is at last, and boy was it worth the wait. A superb crisp transfer of the movie itself, excellent sound and those wonderful classic performances by,well everyone on screen, from the bravura acting of Swanson herself to Stroheim, the oily Vicuna salesman, etc,etc. All in all a joy to watch. Good extras too, just a pity that Swanson, Holden and of course the great Billy Wilder were not filmed reminiscing about the great movie before they passed away. This is what DVD's are all about. In short just go out and buy this motion picture now.
Old 11-14-02, 09:02 PM

Sunset Boulevard - well worth the long wait!!
Good to hear!

Question about opening of film ...... My VHS copy is awfully dark during the opening 5 minutes or so of the movie. Is the DVD kind of dark in the opening minutes as well? (Perhaps it was filmed very darkly, I don't know.)

Thanks for the info on this much-awaited disc.

"I was feeling a little sick to my stomach .... what with that sweet champagne, and that tripe I'd been reading!!"

Last edited by davidvp; 11-14-02 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-14-02, 10:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm counting the days for this one.
Old 11-15-02, 03:40 AM

There are one or two dark areas in the movie where there is a feeling that areas of the picture have been digitally altered or added to sort of artificially lighten the scene ever so slightly but overall these do not detract. You will I think be thrilled, as I was and I thought that this is bound to be an anti - climax, but it most certainly is not it exceeds my expectations, sadly the morgue sequence is there only in a patchwork of some footage plus the script and that was the only slight disappointment.
I wish that Paramount would give the same lavish treatment to a few early Mae West vehicles after all it was her movies that saved Paramount from bankruptcy!
Old 11-15-02, 09:04 AM

www.dvdfile.com give a great review
Old 11-15-02, 06:01 PM

The Paramount Mae West films are now owned by Universal, as are all pre-1948 Paramount films.
Old 11-18-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

got this disc and Roman Holiday today. watched it and i can only agree with the previous comments.. a superb video transfer. crisp and clear, no speckles or heavy grain.. definitely one of the best images i've seen for a film of that age. peeked a little at the Roman Holiday transfer too, and it looks just as great!
Old 11-21-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like I returned to the information superhighway just in time...

I had no idea that "Sunset Boulevard" was being released. Glad to hear that it's such a good disc. Now when are we going to see DVD releases of "One Two Three", "Five Graves To Cairo", "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes", and other Wilder classics? And will we ever get a decent release of "Double Indemnity"?

jim
Old 11-22-02, 03:24 AM

I'd like to see a boxset of the best Wilder movies - that would be a tough choice. I'd like to see Fedora again too not that I consider that one should be in the boxset!
Old 11-22-02, 07:13 AM

I am brand new here and coincidentally I have just ordered this very disc and so felt compelled to post something. I hope its a lovely transfer as it desrves it.
Old 11-23-02, 12:34 AM

Three days and counting.

Anybody get their S. Blvd. sent ahead of time?
Old 11-23-02, 02:45 AM

Sunset Boulevard - superb transfer!

Yes I got mine on the 11th of November - see my earlier post with mini review - excellent - in this thread.
Old 11-23-02, 06:37 PM

Not to sound like a noodge, but that book tour you mention must have been way before 1985, since Swanson died in 1983.

But she and the movie live on.

Last edited by DVDDEE; 11-23-02 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-24-02, 02:24 AM

Amazing Gloria Swanson!

I'm sorry I must have got my dates mixed up, but Swanson was amazing even then and had a gentle voice rather like that of a young girl and not like the rasping strident Norma Desmond of Sunset Boulevard the character of whom she in no way resembled. It was quite a moment meeting and shaking the (gloved) hand of such a legendary figure!!
Old 11-24-02, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Gamblor187
Looks like I returned to the information superhighway just in time...

I had no idea that "Sunset Boulevard" was being released.
Apparently, neither do the stores, since it's in NONE of the ads this week. I guess When in Rome (with the Olsen twins) and Undisputed (even heard of that one?) are just more important.