Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Requiem for a Dream REMIXED is FINALLY here!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked it up last night at midnight.. could not wait any longer.. it's already 410 days late..

The CD is a mixed bag.. but a GOOD mixed bag.. hald of the tracks are small score pieces left off the original soundtrack.. and the other half are the remixes.

The only score piece I feel worth mentioning is track 1 "Tappy's Intro" this is just a great little piece to open the movie, and should've been on the first soundtrack as track 1!!

Plant - In The End It's All Nice
I've never heard of Plant, but they NEED TO BE SHOT. This is single-handedly the worst remix in the history of remixes. I think it was created with Windows Sound Recorder. All they did was take a track off the original soundtrack, add a 4/4 beat over it, and WENT SAMPLE MAD. That's it.. a beat and clips from the movie. Avoid at all costs.

Psilnaut - Ghosts In The Machine
A much better remix. Some good effects at the start, then it almost feels as if it's following the same notation of adding a beat over an exsisting track.. some vocal effects give it the extra flavor it needs from being a real stinker. The later half add some more effects, which round out with a decent breakdown.

Paul Jokenfold - Aeternal
You might remeber this track from his craptastic album Bunkka, called "Zoo York" in which he gave no credit to Clint Mansell. Here it is, but so much better. It's about 2 minutes longer, giving the track time to flesh out and take you on a journey. This is probably the 2nd best track on the ablum. Oakey really did a wonderful job reworking the main theme without taking the simple path of just adding a beat and effects. The buildup at the start is great, slowly adding in new musical pieces until the main strings kick in.

Jagz Kooner - Coney Island Express
Not sure what track this is a remix of, cause the original Coney Island track was the credits theme and that was just the waves of the ocean. However, this track is really good. It's got a fast beat and lots of energy. Harder and edgier than what we've heard so far (or been subjected to, in Plant's case). Some distroted guitar effects add a nice touch. And you hear some soft piano-like melody coming in, from the movie of course! The slow piano arrangement over the fast and furious beat and electronic effects mix REALLY well. And they drop out for another flurry of that guitar. Then we kind of loop back and go for another round. Very nice. When the breakdown comes in, and the part where it's building back up to the beat is very reminding of the "meltdown" scenes of the movie.

Wish FM - Haunted Dreams
Another remix of the main theme. Some REALLY, REALLY, deep bass on this one. Probably the best part of the track. It uses a few effects from the "Party" track on the original album (the music Harry & Tyrone listen to at thier party on the tunrtable) to accent the remix. A nice touch indeed, though a good, fleshed out remix using the short Party track would have been preferred. There's some hauting howl effect in this track that's hidden yet effective. A few 303 effects that are a little out of place. The track starts to get a little repetitive but breaks down before it gets to bad, and comes back up to the same. At 6:36, it might have been a little better minus a minute? Maybe not.. it's a good remix though!!

Josh Wink - Full Tension
I'm not a Wink fan and this helps further that. A pretty dull 4/4 house beat carreies this track with some light synth effects, and the occasional string. And that's about it. FOR 8 FREAKING MINUTES!! The only thing that keeps it going is some whisper effects, but.. I mean.. ugh.. this is BAD mind you. Not bad like that Plant remix. Which should have been left off this CD. It's just that this mix carries no real melody from the movie that I could detect, and is simply a beat for 8 minutes. It's pleasent to listen to, and I'm sure if you're a house an this will appeal to you, but I myself like a little flavor in my dance music..

Delirium - Deluxed
THIS TRACK IS WORTH THE COST OF THE CD.
This is a freaking amazing remix. Oh my GOD. It's starts off with a heavy synth effect with some big drums, and then a distroted beat kicks in to the lighter string arrangement of the main theme. THEN, they add some extra strings arrangment, to the piano emlody of the main theme, backed only by a light hum. Then we get some real mellow electronic effects of the original string arrangment, then the beat finally come sin at about 3 minutes!! And boy does it do a fantastic job of introducing itself, rather than just coming out with "bump bump bump bump".. the string comes back in a little heavier this time, and builds up inside you.. a slight drop, going a little further with the string melody, though keeping it at a good building pace, DROP, then the MAIN string melody kicks in and the arrangement Bill and Rhys have behind is simply greatness.. and they drop that out to let the melody speak for itselft and a new paino piece that goes so very, very, well with the music. MELT MELT MELT. Back to the piano and strings of the original soundtrack.. the main theme comes in for another round fully backed by the beats and effects these guys are known for, and back to thier own piano melody to close the track as everything quiets down and the piano speaks for itself. AMAZING.

A Guy Called Gerad - Body & Fear
Start of quiet with some very mellow drums, and a choir effect. A beat comes in with some snyth effects, pretty slow compared to the rest of the remixes so far. Very mellow sounding. Almost tropical vacation sounding.. (?) But that's really all this remix has to offer is some relaxation. Not too much variety, but not enough to bore you, as it's a very calming piece for being beat heavy.

ILS - Over Turned
The familiar strings again start this track, and some killer bass again, into some real drum sounds!! Well.. real drum sounds over INSANE BASS and the piano and strings VERY light in the background. It all kills out for the piano piece (very nice).. and then that evil bass comes in over the piano, hehe. A string build-up and BAM a really ****y beat comes in with that bass still going (it's really bassy!!) There's a weird little squeaky whirl effect in this one, that's strange but not unwelcome. The most of this remix is carried in the background with piano melody for the first half, and the second half, we are introduced to the string arrangement. Again, this is mostly in the back and the beat and squakey thing are in the foreground. The last 2 minutes have another bass synth effect carying over. A rather good remix.

Hive - Hand Jive
Short remix! Some eerie flute-like synth carries most of this with a beat, but not a standard 4/4 beat. Which is a nice change. Some groove sounding synth effects come in, with the score in the background, and a few samples. But they are muddled so they don't stick out. The last minute changes a bit to another theme from the movie for a few seocnds but fades out again. A rather nice meltdown-ish break, and the remix comes back for another 40 seconds and ending with that flute effect. Reminds of something David Lynch would have in one of his movies.

Clint Mansell - Ghost Vocal Version
Can't really say much here!! This is GREAT. A new arrangement of Ghosts, with VOCALS. I didn't think it would work but DAMN it's good. You know the song already, so get out there and check this out!!

As you can see, with the exception of a few tracks, this is good buy for fans of the original soundtrack. Even if you're not a fan of remixes, the Oakey and Delirium remixes will ikely change your mind about that.. and, it's nice to hear Clint again after all these years!!

Myself, I think I built this CD up too much.. I mean, waiting over a year for it will do that to you. But it's great. EXCEPT TRACK 2!$# GET OFF OF MY CD ARRRRGHHHH!#$#!!!
Old 11-07-02, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've been interested in this, but I actually haven't even listened to the original soundtrack release. Of course, I've seen the movie and I'm familiar with the main theme. I really like the way it was used in The Two Towers trailer.

So... I'm thinking about buying either the original soundtrack, or this remix version (maybe both, if I can afford it right now).

Any suggestions as to which I should grab first?