Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is the Crimson Rivers dvd any good?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard some people say the movie is good and some say its really lousy. Theres a SE out but i dont know if its good quality. If anyone has the info that would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-02, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
The film itself is really quite good, and features another excellent Jean Reno performance. The only potential problem is that the extras feature a commentary in French, w/out English subs. I don't know if later releases of this disc rectified that problem. The other featurettes are in French also, but do include English subs.

Here's my full review of The Crimson Rivers
Old 10-22-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think CRIMSON RIVERS is a very good thriller/mystery (some folks have compared it to SE7EN), and except for the fact that the commentary track is in French w/out subtitles, the rest of the DVD presentation is very solid. Nice anamorphic transfer, good DD 5.1 audio, and some very nice extras (two documentaries in French but with subtitles).

cheers Tony Block
Old 10-22-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This movie is absolutely 12 on my 1-10 scale!!

A must buy for Reno fans!!!
Old 10-22-02, 04:01 PM

I have the UK R2 2-disc set, which has a large number of nice extras. The commentary is indeed in French, but unlike the releases mentioned above does come with English subs.

Dazza.
Old 10-23-02, 01:11 AM

I'll dare to be different and say that I thought that the movie was little more that a french version of the likes of Lethal Weapon - a cop and sidekick/buddy film.. although a bit darker.

(I gave away my copy of the disc

Hemulen
Old 10-23-02, 08:28 PM

I agree with the masses on this one. I loved the Crimson Rivers. The disc looks absolutely beautiful; one of my favorite transfers.
Some good extras in addition to the french only commentary.
Some people don't like the ending but at the very least you'd have to admit that its an interesting french twist on the typical Se7en, CSI, crime thriller and much better than Bone Collector, Kiss the Girls or that "I'll never te-ell" piece of crap that Michael Douglas got mixed up in last year.
Old 10-23-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Whiskey Priest
much better than Bone Collector, Kiss the Girls or that "I'll never te-ell" piece of crap that Michael Douglas got mixed up in last year.
YEP!

BTW, my bro & his family reside in Temecula!
Old 10-24-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard of it before someone mentioned it here on the forums. Being a big Jean Reno fan, I went ahead and picked it up and wasn't disappointed to be sure. Really violent, creepy and atmospheric film with beautiful cinematography and great performances from all those involved. Minor nitpicks being the video-game inspired fight and a resolution that could've been better, but still highly recommended.
Old 10-25-02, 05:42 AM

I saw the movie on screen in France. I was really disapointed by the movie. The end is really tortured. I did not read the book, I heard the book is really great and the book ends diferently.

I usually dislike French movies when they try to compete with US superproduction. It sounds like a "yes we can also make commercial movies and be as bad as some US big production".

French industry is free. It should stay this way. Well, if indeed it helps to raise money for better future productions (like Amelie) then why not.

Last edited by Butch Coolidge; 10-25-02 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-25-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just curious, how is the commentary? Are Reno & Cassel interesting together? Worth the cost to import the UK disc?
Old 10-25-02, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by ipkevin
Just curious, how is the commentary? Are Reno & Cassel interesting together? Worth the cost to import the UK disc?
The commentary track is good fun to listen to (or read). If you're a fan of the film and a non-French speaker I'd definitely recommend getting hold of the UK 2-disc set.

Dazza.