Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Rules Of Attraction - I LOVED IT!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-21-02, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something about how bizarre this movie was, I just loved it. I'd go see it again. I just totally loved the way it was shot, the different camera angles, the incredibly well-developed characters, the different storylines, and just the overall movie. This is one of my favorite movies of the year, I loved every bit of it. Everyone was great in it especially Van Der Beek. I wouldn't classify it as a teen movie because the movie was much darker than any teen movie I can remember. I think this was one of those Love It or Hate It type movies and I loved it! Can't wait for the DVD, hopefully it will be an uncut version.
Old 10-21-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is one of the most disjointed movies I have ever seen. What was the point of the 2 gay guys talking with their mothers? The scene was hilarious but I had no idea how it fit into the movie. Why did they have to show Van Der Beek on the toilet wiping his ass? Was that really necessary? The characters are just existing, there is nothing special about any of them.
Old 10-21-02, 09:43 PM

Great movie! They kind of movie, you either love or hate. I loved it but at the same time there was a whole group of people that walked out of the theater only 10 minutes or so into the movie. My girlfriend hated it also.
Old 10-21-02, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Robert
This is one of the most disjointed movies I have ever seen. What was the point of the 2 gay guys talking with their mothers? The scene was hilarious but I had no idea how it fit into the movie. Why did they have to show Van Der Beek on the toilet wiping his ass? Was that really necessary? The characters are just existing, there is nothing special about any of them.
The Van Der Beek thing on the toilet I believe was to show uglyness of his character and his polar opposite the sweet innocent girl. The 2 gay guy thing I think was thrown in there to show another side of Paul, a less dominating side and more weak side of him although they seemed to demonstrate that more towards the end of the film as well. The only thing I would of changed in the movie is that scene where they explain everything Victor did in Europe. I felt that went on too long and should of cut a couple minutes off. Other than that I loved the movie!
Old 10-21-02, 10:39 PM

I thought the Victor seen was one of the cooler seens in the movie. I thought it was a very strange movie, but it didn't really shock me or anything. The camera angles were cool, there was good character development, but I don't think the story really went anywhere. It was cool to see something that different, and in a way I kind of liked it for that. However, I don't know if I can say I really like this movie or not. I'll probably see it again sometime though.
Old 10-21-02, 11:02 PM

I loved it as well.

Now, I could be wrong but I honestly think that the main point of the movie was to leave the audience dissatisfied. How else would you explain that ending? Also, this mirrors the characters' inability to get what they want.
Old 10-21-02, 11:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by inmehd
I loved it as well.

Now, I could be wrong but I honestly think that the main point of the movie was to leave the audience dissatisfied. How else would you explain that ending? Also, this mirrors the characters' inability to get what they want.
I agree with that too. At first, I thought there was something wrong with my theatre. Also I like how the credits ran backwards, nice touch.
Old 10-22-02, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have read the book the ending makes perfect sense.
Old 11-19-02, 04:42 AM
Banned

Can someone explain the ending?
Old 11-19-02, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe the point of the film was to mirror the statement made, "You can't know anyone...ever." Look at how shocking each one of the character's actions were.
Spoiler:
Van Der Beek never knew (or found out) the girl that wrote him the letters. He also laid under the illusion that Shannon Sosseman's (??) character was an innocent angel, when in fact she was blowing the professor. There is an underlying tone of insecurity and uncertainty through out the film.
At least, that's my theory.

And I LOVED it.
Old 02-24-03, 03:26 PM

I cant say that I would recommend this movie to most people. I thought that the director tried some interesting things and pulled most of them off well enough. The reverse time thing and some of the camera shots were great to look at but overall the film was just too unbelievable for me and I didnt really care for the characters too much. I think it tries too hard to shock and to be different. If anything I thought it was pretty funny and probably would have worked better for me if it didnt take itself so seriously.
Old 02-24-03, 08:44 PM

I thought it was great. The scene with the two guys having dinner with their parents as hilarious.

"Diiiiiick. Diiiiiick. You heard me!"
Old 02-25-03, 12:30 AM

I'm so glad this thread resurfaced because I watched this film last night and came here to find some opinions. I went to my girlfriend's house last night and she had rented this. I didn't remember hearing about it and expected another shallow teen flick (we differ greatly in taste). I watched in amazement for nearly two hours. I hated every character, was shocked a few times at just how far it went, and was really enjoying the various techniques/sequences employed. When it was over, I didn't know what I thought about it, but it got me thinking about my own life and how dissatisfied I was. I can only recommend this to my film school friend, but will definitely buy this DVD.
Old 02-25-03, 01:06 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I just saw it Friday for the first time and I enjoyed it. It was something different and I thought the ending was an interesting way to end it.
Old 03-01-03, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw the DVD screener last night and thought it was pure genious. I wasn't sure the ended was right thought. I've heard that some DVD screeners have the ending cut off you see.

But I interpreted the ending as
Spoiler:
Sean bateman being cut off half way into the 'all I knew about her...' sentence cause there wasn't really anything he knew about her.

As for people complaining about me watching a pirate version of the movie. Don't worry, I'll be checking it out at the theatres and buying the DVD.
Old 03-01-03, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've seen it 5 times so far and I just love it. Great writing. Superior camerawork for a low-budget film.
Old 03-01-03, 11:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great movie. My favorite of last year. A lot of the complaints that I hear from people about it are that they hated and didnt care about the characters. That's one of the points of the movie and the book. You're not supposed to like them or care about them
Old 03-01-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ghostface180
Great movie. My favorite of last year. ... That's one of the points of the movie and the book. You're not supposed to like them or care about them
is it just me or does the thought of spending 2 hours of your life in the company of people you don't like or care about not sound appealing?

...ah, youth.
Old 03-01-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having watched this once again, I sadly find that my feelings remain the same. While I typically enjoy films of this nature if pulled off deftly and with some brand of sophistication (solipsistic collegiate nihilism) and let's make no mistake, there are specific parts here which are quite memorable (the cinematic technique Avery utilizes to introduce us to the main characters, the Ecstasy like european trip video, which by the way would have made a wonderfully surreal short film, and the occasional and well timed use of split screens etc.) still as a whole I was left wanting. In a nutshell, the sum of its parts far outshine the film as a whole.

Summation: A missed opportunity worthy of a rental but I wouldn't risk a blind buy on it.
Old 03-01-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would also recommend that people rent it before blindly purchasing it. I saw it, and once was enough for me.
Old 03-02-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by fmian

As for people complaining about me watching a pirate version of the movie. Don't worry, I'll be checking it out at the theatres and buying the DVD.

Way to get good threads closed......
Old 03-02-03, 12:56 PM
Banned

I watched it the other night for the first time after missing it in the theatres.
I liked it. Maybe because it was so unlike any experience I have had.
The people were mostly jerks but hey, allot of Big wig people I work with are jerks too.
People dont treat others very well these days, Ive noticed.
I thought Van Derbeek was good in his role and liked that Ian Somerhander too. I wish they would have explored that relationship a bit more as I read in the book they do.
I may have to pick up the book but my question is, is Van Derbeeks character related to the Bateman in American Psycho?
Old 03-02-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cooper2000
is Van Derbeeks character related to the Bateman in American Psycho?
Yes, they are bothers.
Old 03-02-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by cooper2000
Is Van Derbeek's character related to the Bateman in American Psycho?
I was hoping for a Christian Bale cameo in this one!
Shame they didn't pull that off!
Old 03-03-03, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by clappj
I was hoping for a Christian Bale cameo in this one!
Shame they didn't pull that off!
I thought the Fred Savage cameo was good enough though

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.