Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Opinions of those who have E.T

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-21-02, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the 2 disc dvd in on Saturday and I've got to say I'm very pleased. Both versions look and sound great. The extra's arn't that great but when the film's as huge as E.T that don't matter that much. Best extra in my opinion is the live music track and John Willams at the shrine feature. The great thing about having this is now there is a definitive DVD release of the original and special edition E.T to have and watch for a long long time. I wish ohers ie: lucas would take note. What do others who have this now think?

And yeah and Universal or Spielberg or whoever controls this - get a Schindlers List special edition out by the Spring and all that e.t dvd mix up will be forgiven.
Old 10-27-02, 11:02 AM
JM1

I have this also, and would agree with your sentiments on the quality - superb, pin sharp pic, and great DTS sound. I also agree about the John Williams extra - which I almost did'nt watch, as the menu lists it just as the premiere, which I thought would just be footage of everyone arriving at the event etc, but is actually all about the preparation of the music performance, and has footage of it live being performed as well.

The only niggling thing for me is the missing doc from the 3 disc edition. The one on the two disc set just looks like an original on location doc, with some new interviews, and a lot of explanation from Speilberg about the new bits. This does not actually tell you how the movie was made at all.

And where is the 'Music of John Williams' feature listed on the back cover of the box? (At least it does on my Canadian version).

But these are minor points, as the film has been treated with the respect it finally deserves.
Old 10-27-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I forget - is E.T. one of the discs that has some content only available via the web, or is that BTTF and OTHERS?
Old 10-27-02, 02:27 PM

JM1, I assume that the "music of John Williams" feature is the live soundtrack from the 2002 premier. You can choose this track instead of the regular soundtrack. I didn't realise this disc had footage of the music preparation and I'll now go back to see it. Thanks for the information !
Old 10-27-02, 04:00 PM
JM1

Just to clarify things, del -

The back cover of the package actually says "The music of John Williamd - Interviews and footage of teh long standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg". It is bulletpointed on the back as though it is actually a seperate feature.

The live performance is listed correctly on the disc menu, and takes you to the menu to select the relevant audio track.

However, the "2002 theatrical premiere" does not really give a true indication of what is actually contained within, as I said before.

Also, the back of my cover lists " The evolution and creation of ET - from idea to screenplay, through casting and making the film". That's certainly not a description of the making of doc that is actually on this disc - this is obviously alluding to the longer 50 minute one on the 3 disc edition.

This may only be on my version, though. Not sure about the North American version.

( I am based in UK, by the way)
Old 10-28-02, 03:44 AM

I am based in the U.K also and have the Canadian Version.
Old 10-29-02, 08:31 AM

E.T. is good 20 years ago. I have the gift set and have watched the 1982 theatrical release and that's it. The magic was gone, my 2 kids didn't care (4 and 6). It'll just gather dust on my shelf and I'm thinking of just selling it.
Old 10-29-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really surprised how many people don't like E.T. as adults after having loved it as a child. I watched it last night and I still think it's great. I thought all the special effects still looked convincing, and the kids did a great job, particularly Drew Barrymore for as young as she was.

Granted, it's not my favorite movie like it was when I was 7, but I think I still would've enjoyed it if it had come out today instead of 20 years ago. It was the Harry Potter of it's time without all the sequels.
Old 10-29-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Maryang Palad
my 2 kids didn't care (4 and 6)

It's not fast paced enough for the Pokemon generation. I weep for the future......
Old 10-29-02, 11:11 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I watched it again as an adult and I still got teary eyed when Elliot thinks ET has died.....
Old 10-29-02, 12:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Seeker
I forget - is E.T. one of the discs that has some content only available via the web, or is that BTTF and OTHERS?
I keep waiting to hear what the deleted scenes are included on the DVD-ROM section of this disc are. Anyone?... Anyone?
Old 10-31-02, 12:34 PM

I'm really surprised how many people don't like E.T. as adults after having loved it as a child. I watched it last night and I still think it's great. I thought all the special effects still looked convincing, and the kids did a great job, particularly Drew Barrymore for as young as she was.
As I note in my review (http://www.dvdmg.com/etgiftset.shtml), ET doesn't rock me like it did in the past, but that's mostly because I've seen it MANY times. It still moves me, though, and I continue to find it to be a brilliant film.

While all the kids are great, Henry Thomas really delivers a miraculous performance - he holds the thing together and got screwed when he didn't get an Oscar nod. I think the Academy simply refuses to consider awards for kids as lead actors - supporting they'll do, but I don't think they've ever nominated a child in a lead performance. Thomas deserved it for ET - not just the nomination, but the WIN, as he was better than Paul Newman, Ben Kinglsey or any of the others that year...
Old 10-31-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm 20 years old and i've seen E.T. a few times since i was little (watching it on TV and such) and i never saw the hype about it at all. I dunno, just boring to me. You can blame it on my "generation" or other things, but i appreciate a lot of other movies and quite frankly E.T. doesn't capture my attention, even as my first experiences with aliens.
Old 11-01-02, 02:55 AM

to me its the best movie in its genre since the wizard of oz. It still has the magic. DVD players where invented for films like this.
Old 11-01-02, 04:52 AM

I thought dvd players were invented for films like Cannibal Holocaust but I could be wrong...
Old 11-01-02, 08:45 AM

yeah you are